10th BFR

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
I realize there a lot of professional and GA pilots out there that have had more than 10 BFR's, but it's something I'm sort of proud of. Just passed (signed off) on my 10th BFR.

Started flight training when I was 39. My job moved me around a lot. By the time I completed training I had worked and lived in 3 states and had 7 flight instructors. Completed training in 60 hours, I thought that was not to bad considering all the moves I had been through. Took just over a year and a half.

Purchased my baby Beech shortly after earning my PPL. Work continued to move me around. I have flown my baby Beech from the Gulf of Mexico to Alaska and back to the lower 48 several times over the years as I moved.

Alaska turned out to be my home and I have enjoyed my GA experience home based out of Juneau for the past 17 years.

I work very hard to keep my baby Beech (20+ years of ownership) in the best mechanical condition I can.

I have met some of the nicest folks in the GA community and hope it will continue for sometime.

Bill B....:)

Last edited:
One other thing I would like to add is after buying the baby Beech in Biloxi, MS I flew to Alaska using dead reckoning and VOR's. Didn't get a GPS until I after that trip....:)

Congrats Bill, but there's no "pass" with a FR (FAA dropped the "B" term a while ago, although it's still done B.)

One other thing I would like to add is after buying the baby Beech in Biloxi, MS I flew to Alaska using dead reckoning and VOR's. Didn't get a GPS until I after that trip....:)

I started flying in Alaska that way in the Bethel area. I really learned to use the eskimo ADF at that time....:lol::lol:

I've only been flying for 7 years but still haven't had one. I'm lucky enough to still fly GA. If I haven't flown GA in a while, I'd want to get a BFR. Some of the worst checkouts I've done were airline and/or corporate guys who haven't flown GA in like 100 years and think they can still land a 172. However, some of the best checkouts I've done were airline/corporate pilots who are still active in GA.

I've only been flying for 7 years but still haven't had one. I'm lucky enough to still fly GA. If I haven't flown GA in a while, I'd want to get a BFR. Some of the worst checkouts I've done were airline and/or corporate guys who haven't flown GA in like 100 years and think they can still land a 172. However, some of the best checkouts I've done were airline/corporate pilots who are still active in GA.
BUT... You wouldn't *need* a BFR. I think it's great you would want to stay morally current in GA aircraft (plus whatevervthe FBO required for rental), but you will likely be just like me in 25 years... never did a formal BFR.

BUT... You wouldn't *need* a BFR. I think it's great you would want to stay morally current in GA aircraft (plus whatevervthe FBO required for rental), but you will likely be just like me in 25 years... never did a formal BFR.
Yea I definitely wouldn't need one but if I haven't flown GA in a while, I think it would be a good idea to putz around in a 172 with a CFI for an hour before I take it solo or with people.

Yea I definitely wouldn't need one but if I haven't flown GA in a while, I think it would be a good idea to putz around in a 172 with a CFI for an hour before I take it solo or with people.
Wondering what percent of the professional pilots out there do not fly GA. I know my cousin who is retired USAF and flew U-2"s and B-52's said when he retired he was done with flying. He said he has no desire to fly 130kts in a 172. To me it's a little sad he has lost the love of just flying. Maybe he figures it's just not exciting to be bop around in a slow GA aircraft....:)

Wondering what percent of the professional pilots out there do not fly GA. I know my cousin who is retired USAF and flew U-2"s and B-52's said when he retired he was done with flying. He said he has no desire to fly 130kts in a 172. To me it's a little sad he has lost the love of just flying. Maybe he figures it's just not exciting to be bop around in a slow GA aircraft....:)
At my company, a lot of the captains seem to still fly GA and some even own a plane.

Congrats Bill, but there's no "pass" with a FR (FAA dropped the "B" term a while ago, although it's still done B.)

No "B" what's this world coming to. No "pass" well sign off anyway. Thanks

Congrats,hoping you have many more.

Hopefully 2 more FR's then retirement. We'll have to see how that road goes...")

I realize there a lot of professional and GA pilots out there that have had more than 10 BFR's, but it's something I'm sort of proud of. Just passed my 10th BFR.

Started flight training when I was 39. My job moved me around a lot. By the time I completed training I had worked and lived in 3 states and had 7 flight instructors. Completed training in 60 hours, I thought that was not to bad considering all the moves I had been through. Took just over a year and a half.

Purchased my baby Beech shortly after earning my PPL. Work continued to move me around. I have flown my baby Beech from the Gulf of Mexico to Alaska and back to the lower 48 several times over the years as I moved.

Alaska turned out to be my home and I have enjoyed my GA experience home based out of Juneau for the past 17 years.

I work very hard to keep my baby Beech (20+ years of ownership) in the best mechanical condition I can.

I have met some of my nicest folks in the GA community and hope it will continue for sometime.

Bill B....:)
Baby Beech??

My wife has two cousins who are pro Pilots. One lady is a 57 capt for UAL. She's never heard of Patty Wagstaff and hasn't been in a GA plane since being hired by a commuter 25 years ago. It's a job.

Her other cousin ended up flying for NetJets Itl. Loves it. He's there 10+ years after being laid off from TWA. He said "I have children now. I can't risk their future by flying GA."

Last edited:
That's why I continue to fly Cirrus aircraft when I fly GA;)
Your Cirrus is probably worth more than the house I live in. Way more than the B-19 I have flow for over 20 years. I just wish I could afford a hanger for the baby Beech. $85,000 for a "T" hanger in Juneau is something I'm not going to do. I have not had the opportunity to fly other aircraft lately but was wondering whaT the learning curve is on something like the Cirrus. Have flown a few Cubs and T-Craft and like a stick is it similar?

Your Cirrus is probably worth more than the house I live in. Way more than the B-19 I have flow for over 20 years. I just wish I could afford a hanger for the baby Beech. $85,000 for a "T" hanger in Juneau is something I'm not going to do. I have not had the opportunity to fly other aircraft lately but was wondering whaT the learning curve is on something like the Cirrus. Have flown a few Cubs and T-Craft and like a stick is it similar?
I wish I owned one! I'm lucky enough to fly with owners that have practically brand new ones and let me take it almost whenever I want. It's not a hard airplane to fly. Cirrus has a great interactive online learning portal for transition training. The hardest part is figuring out all the avionics buttonology. Once you get through that, you're good to go. I don't have a lot of diverse GA types in my logbook. You probably have more fun in the Cub than I do in the Cirrus

Back