10nm water crossing tomorrow. Any advice?

itsjames2011

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
James
Hey everyone,

Tomorrow I'm going to make a x/c between 7b2 and kbid. I'm going to have 10 nm over water and am expecting a 20kt tailwind. My airplane trims out for best glide at 80 mph so I'm thinking if I make the crossing at 7500 that puts my point of no return at 4 nm after being feet wet and I'll be shooting to glide for the island.

Looking for any tips/advice from anyone who has made this crossing.

James

Bring some water wings just in case.

In addition to water wings, bring some soap so you can at least get a free bath out of the deal if things go wrong :D

No advice really. You have a very small risk of a problem. This should be comforting. You clearly have accepted the risk since you're going to make the flight anyway. If the engine quits and you end up in the water, you're pretty much dead since I'm assuming you won't be carrying survival equipment.

I've done the flight to Block Island before. Nice little airport. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

We do trips from Charleston, SC to the Bahamas on a regular basis. Some have been direct in a single engine Lance. Makes for about 3 hrs over open water in the "Bermuda Triangle". Usually have life jackets and raft. Out of radio contact with mainland for about 45 minutes.

There. Doesn't 10 nm seem easier now?

We do trips from Charleston, SC to the Bahamas on a regular basis. Some have been direct in a single engine Lance. Makes for about 3 hrs over open water in the "Bermuda Triangle". Usually have life jackets and raft. Out of radio contact with mainland for about 45 minutes.

There. Doesn't 10 nm seem easier now?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have done the Miami to Bahamas run in a single engine. The folks are correct that you should be fine. If you are that concerned is it possible to fly it at 9500 feet?

Have fun. Is there a soundwatch for that crossing? Or get flight following or just leave a radio tuned to 121.5. Not that it matters water is 48 degrees...

My advice? Stop for a meal at Bethany's, the cafe in the BID terminal bldg. Doing so means no landing fee is charged. And their (home made) Clam Chowder is excellent. Unless you like the red stuff. Red or White Chowder? That's another religious war that I'll leave to others. Also no fuel available at BID. Tanker accordingly.

Oh... overwater advice? Fly high, don't look down.

-Skip

Flying while surrounded by the Great Lakes for the past 70 some years, the OP made me snort coffee all over my keyboard. Now he owes me.
Such postings should have a Subject of "Swallow before reading"

Flying while surrounded by the Great Lakes for the past 70 some years, the OP made me snort coffee all over my keyboard. Now he owes me.
Such postings should have a Subject of "Swallow before reading"

+1. :yes:

Hey everyone,

Tomorrow I'm going to make a x/c between 7b2 and kbid. I'm going to have 10 nm over water and am expecting a 20kt tailwind. My airplane trims out for best glide at 80 mph so I'm thinking if I make the crossing at 7500 that puts my point of no return at 4 nm after being feet wet and I'll be shooting to glide for the island.

James

Most of our planes can make a power off glide from 5,500' over the shore line to the island. With a 20 kt tw, it should be no problem depending on your plane. I usually wait to start my descent a little later than usual and if I end up high, just check out the wind sock. Enjoy.

Hey everyone,

James

10 nm at 90kts......you do the math.

7.5 minutes over water. you probably won't even notice it because you'll be busy with the radios, checking for traffic, etc.

As you come up to the water, note the true winds and recalculate your turn/no turn point for accuracy.

I'd say bring a life vest. And an egress hammer if you dont have one.

10 mi over water is nothing to really worry about. It will be over before you know it.

I love when people dress up in full survival gear and load their rafts to cross a very small patch of water.

I recently did a few 300+ nm crossings, 5 people, single, with no survival equipment.
Come on, engine stopping mid-cruise is just about the same as hitting the lottery, twice. It just doesn't happen. And if it does, well, like henning said, it just is the time to go sometime. Your chance of surviving the crash landing, and being able to deploy the raft, and actually getting on it, and so on, are just as bad.

Trust your engine, fly, and be happy. Skip the paranoia.

10 miles?? Unless you're in an ultralight, this is nothing.

<< Sent from my mobile device at 0agl >>

No, water crossings are different. Looking down, knowing you really have no where to land safely. Especially different if you are out of gliding distance from the shore (the op isn't). But still, they feel different.

Better buy a Cirrus before attempting this extended overwater leg. The chute will cure all need to worry. Sheesh

Are you flying an Acme brick? Even a Cessna should be able to glide over 10 nm from 7500' with NO tailwind. My DA20 will glide 2+ nm/ 1000' , but it's a little slicker than most. :yes:

Do you plan all your overland flights so you can glide to a open area? If not then I would say use the same approach to over water. Don't sweat it.

I crossed Lake Michigan last summer. Twice. We had life jackets accessible but no rafts or anything crazy. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

The one thing I don't do is blast off over the water on the climb out after departure.

I circle a little bit around the island (nothing crazy, just for a couple of minutes). Tell your passengers you are giving them a scenic air tour while you get some altitude and warm the engine.

I love when people dress up in full survival gear and load their rafts to cross a very small patch of water.

I recently did a few 300+ nm crossings, 5 people, single, with no survival equipment.
Come on, engine stopping mid-cruise is just about the same as hitting the lottery, twice. It just doesn't happen. And if it does, well, like henning said, it just is the time to go sometime. Your chance of surviving the crash landing, and being able to deploy the raft, and actually getting on it, and so on, are just as bad.

:confused: It happens a couple of times a year in the Great Lakes, that's far from never.

The airplane doesn't know it's over water,have a good flight,I carry inflatable suspenders. Have been to BID many times ,enjoy the flight.

When you depart it doesn't hurt to circle around the island a few times before you head back to mainland. Let us know how lunch was. Do they have bikes for you to use/rent at the airport?

Hey everyone,

James

Are you really going to be at 7500ft? Assuming that your flying to KBID, you'll need to start descending at some point, and realistically will be crossing the water at a significantly lower altitude. Of course you can cross at 7500ft and then spiral down....
What about the flight back? It will take you quite some time climb to your cruise altitude, you'll probably get to the mainland by the time that happens.

Looking at the time you made this thread I assume you already did the flight. However if you didn't, or for future references, I do not recommend you do that at night. Night search and rescue over water is almost impossible without the aid of survival equipment. Highly recommend you invest in a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon).

Do also read up on safe ditching techniques, may need them at some point.

Last edited:

In other words, bury your head in the sand?

The flight was a success and there were no rafts/lifejackets required.

I was not particularly worried about the crossing however as a general rule, I always seek the advice of experienced pilots before I embark on something new.

James

An African ferry pilot I once met that was ferrying 150's to Europe and Africa left me with this to think about. ETOPS, Engine Turn Or Pilot Swim.

Back