100LL prices coming down?

mcoflyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mcoflyer
Oil just dropped about $5-$6 a barrel over the past 3-4 days and people are saying it could get down to $80 this winter. Gas stations have already started to bring down prices...

How long before we see a difference in 100LL prices?

I think I saw $5.85 on tues at VGT. Not really dropping much.

Will come down as FBOs use what they have in the ground.usually takes longer than the street ,as they have higher profit margin. Goes up on a rocket comes down on a parachute.

I know it obviously depends on how much 100LL they go through, but how often does the average FBO get a new supply of 100LL?

Starting to see the low 4's at Sherman, TX.

I'd be happy with seeing high 3s. They're in the mid 4s now here in central florida.

I know it obviously depends on how much 100LL they go through, but how often does the average FBO get a new supply of 100LL?
That all depends on the airport and the traffic they see. At the small municipal airport (self-serve, not an FBO...) near my farm, they probably only go through about 4,000 (judging by the size of the tank and the city financial records). At my home-drome (KSUS), we have 201,100 gallon total tank capacity, 35,000 of which is 100LL. The 3 FBO's trucks add roughly 6,000 gallons to that. The airport will generally receive roughly 10,000 gallons of 100LL a week in the USTs, and the FBOs fill their trucks as needed. Needless to say, a pretty quick turn-over, especially for the Jet A, which is generally around 160,000 gallons a week.

$6.35 here at KPJC. I miss the South.

HA! if only they went down in new york. both atlantic and sheltair at FRG are around 7 bucks a gallon

Dropped from $6.06 down to $5.49, regular price at 57D. Members' price is even lower. Not seeing below $5 yet though.

I thought it was Brent oil that determined gas prices? I'm not sure if that's true of 100LL as well. But Brent hasn't dropped a lot, it's still over $105. It seems only WTI oil has dropped, and I think it's been under $100 for a week or so now.

Edit: well, not below $5 in MI that I can tell. But Airnav shows KOXI in NE IN at $4.90 now, as of today. So it might be coming...

Last edited:
Oil just dropped about $5-$6 a barrel over the past 3-4 days and people are saying it could get down to $80 this winter. Gas stations have already started to bring down prices...

How long before we see a difference in 100LL prices?

Avgas is normally 30 days behind car gas per our fuel supplier.

If the net is right prices dropped 50 cents a gallon in the last week at KPGD. Will see tomorrow need to fill the tanks.

$7.97 here at KPWK....robbery! No wonder why everyone flies elsewhere to fill up.

That's probably why the FBO there quotes "$15k-$25k" for a student to get their PPL.

Scares people off (either to other airports, or just not doing it at all)

Looks like KFXE just got a new shipment. Price is down to $4.79 for FS.

$5.80 here at DMW, down from $$5.95.

Watching this is a hoot - if you understand that you are being gamed.
1. This has been a warm autumn so seasonal fuel oil demand has been well below average up to now.
2. Kids back in school so the summer driving season demand for gas is over.
3. The administration does not want the Keystone pipeline to become a hot topic on top of the problems with Obamacare - so plenty of low cost gas on hand.

But, it will be the carrot and the stick - it always is - right now the carrot. But mid winter the stick comes back out, and pay backs are hell.

Will come down as FBOs use what they have in the ground.usually takes longer than the street ,as they have higher profit margin. Goes up on a rocket comes down on a parachute.

I heard somewhere that Aviation fuel takes longer to rise longer to fall because they only make a small amount of the compared to automobile fuel. I suspect however, the FBO the owner seeing a rise in automobile fuel cost. Might take the opportunity to make a bit of a profit and increase his aviation fuel price quickly when he sees that the gas station down the street is jumped up $.10 a gallon.

It's just a bit under $6/gallon at my home field, which is the cheapest that is available in the area. It is more expensive in the North. I'm not entirely sure why, but when I mentioned that I paid $4.50 in Florida last winter (it was still $6 up here), the FBO manager said "I can't even buy it that cheap."

We'll probably see them overall go down a bit. I'd still like to be able to put 93 in the 310.

Weekly in the summer, monthly in the winter when we had a 1200gal fueler

A big "it depends". Where I worked we had 1 large 100LL tank and kept all our 100LL trucks full, even the crappy "only for fire season" trucks. I think that gave us around 18,000 gallons of 100LL. We'd get a load of AvGas every couple weeks which was 8,000 gallons. We tried to keep full in the summer because of the P2's came in they would take 1,000 gallons at a time, with 2-3 of them there fueling 3 times each a day... yeah you can see how that would go. On a normal summer day we'd sell 4-700 gallons of it. During the winter... maybe 200. :eek: It took 2-3 days from ordering 100LL to receive it though, it is not made very near by.

Jet fuel though.. in the summer we'd sell 15,000 gallons a day, during the peak week we could see 20,000. Receiving 2-3 loads of Jet in a day (11,000 gallons each) was not unusual just to keep up with demand. Fortunately the refinery for Jet was just 2 hours away. IIRC we had two tanks with capacity of around 16,000 gallons each, plus three trucks (2 5,000 gallon and 1 3,000 gallon)

The self-serve place would get a load of jet MAYBE once a month. Av even less frequently. To me, that is not enough turnover for Jet... I wouldn't go there.

How I miss flying in USA. Here in Ireland at the local field it's $12.30 /USgal....

yep, i think anywhere besides republic will be cheaper! i went to marthas vineyard last week and it was about 1.30 cheaper
I do most of my landings over at BDR and fill up over there, about $1.30 cheaper per gallon than FRG

Maybe that $1 per gallon experiment in TX started a gas price war, like we used to see long, long ago...

Just paid 5.11 at lal after .25 gallon discount for eating at the restaurant . Have noticed that the self serves in fla are below 5.00 a gallon. Usually take between 6-15 gallons at a time, can't really take enough to make a big difference .

Here at KORL the FS at Showalter costs around $6.80 a gallon. I always plan on making a stop at KLEE before getting back...I just paid $4.65 a gallon and put in about 30 gallons. That saved me close to $70, so it makes a difference for me :)

100LL is $6.90(?) locally, which is pretty crazy. Auto gas is $3.05 and there are reports that it's less than $3 a few miles away.

Prices on most things in this area tend to be pretty low, but 100LL has always been an exception.

\__[Ô]__/;1295157 said:
100LL is $6.90(?) locally, which is pretty crazy. Auto gas is $3.05 and there are reports that it's less than $3 a few miles away.

Prices on most things in this area tend to be pretty low, but 100LL has always been an exception.

It's likely because the closest refinery is not close at all. That is why where I worked our 100LL was more expensive than places more near the refinery. Trucking it in is not cheap.

At KGED I just paid $5.22 and will get .23 a gallon back with Delawares motor fuel tax refund.

I just filled up my car, gas was $3.09 a gallon...and like I said...lots of places within a 40 mile radius with SS 100LL around $4.50-$4.80

I filled up my truck today at 2.88

Cheapest 100LL in this area is 4.71

Last edited:
KOXI was at $5.23 a couple of weeks ago, Friday it was at $4.90.

Even KGYY is under $5/gal now.

All I can say about those fuel prices is WOW!

I live in West Texas.
We have 2 refineries here.
Auto fuel 3.08
100LL CHEAPEST price in area (within 100 miles) $5.85 yesterday:sad:

Back