100LL prices coming down?

Central Texas and Central Florida are the places to be for the lowest fuel.

Put 45 gallons in Ms. DueBeUs today after yesterday's long XC.

30 gallons Of MoGas at 3.35 (93 octane ethanol free)
15 gallons of 100LL at 5.25

My home airport hasn't gotten a load of 100LL since prices started dropping.

I paid 5.60 at 1WF (Troy, OH) yesterday.

If you've never been to the Waco Museum on the field @ Troy you should...if you're relatively close. It's no Boeing Field or Oshkosh but it was a cool little spot.

Last edited:
Oil dropped another $2 on Friday. Down to $94 and change and brent crude also dropped from $110 to about $105 this week.

I hope we see some improvements in fuel prices this next week...but I doubt it...

FTG went from $5.53 to $5.49 this week.

Be still my beating heart.

KHZR (Louisiana) lowered the price by 20 cents recently to $5.29. I was excited to see sub $3.00 unleaded at a few places around town, I didn't think I'd see that again.

Gas is around $3.10 in my area now and there's 2-3 smaller airports within 30 miles that have 100LL at $4.60-$4.80.

In SW Florida -
Naples (APF) 4.36 SS
Ft Myers Page Field (FMY) 4.49 SS
Punta Gorda (PGD) 4.65 SS

SE Florida
OpaLocka - 6.40 SS
TMB - 5.50 SS
HWO - 5.59 SS
FLL - 7.20 SS
FXE - 4.79

Just found 100LL for $4.35 a gallon about 100 miles away at X14.

My home base, M91 (about 18nm north of Nashville) is having a promotion for the month of November selling 100LL for $4.44/gal. Perfect since I'm going to knock out my CSEL this month!

Personally, I wont buy if it's over $6. That's my cutoff. I'll fly 20-50 minutes to get cheaper gas if I have to.

I wish we could get everyone, and all the flight schools to do the same. Prices would come down if NO ONE bought that expensive stuff.

What's funny is that San Marcos, home of Redbird and the $1 month long promo that lasted 2 weeks is now @ $5.90 while everyone else in the area is in the mid $4's (excluding Austin Bergstrom International which is over $7...ridiculous...).

My home airport is $4.55 right now. I'm buying gas for my truck at $2.97.

During the last several months, 100LL at KIWI Wiscasset, Maine has changed from $5.75 to $5.40, and most recently, $5.25 per gal. Automotive fuel/regular unleaded is typically $3.39 in this area, though reductions have been fairly regular, lately. Cumberland Farms Chain around New England has a deal that, with their card to be used and resulting in a direct debit from user's checking account, whatever their lowest pump prices are, the card get a 10 cent reduction per gallon from that. Tonight I refueled the F-150 at $3.23.9 per gal.

HR

Last edited:
So, what kind of decrease in the price of fuel would we see a material increase in activity?

$4/gal?
$3/gal?
$2.50/gal?

It just seems to me that the price of everything else, such as insurance, parts & complex service (engine and component O/Hs), not to mention the cost of new aircraft, has risen so much, there would have to be a HUGE decrease in the fuel price to make anything like a difference.

Richman

...I think a material increase would occur if/when 100LL prices were in the same range as 84/88 octane auto gas prices.

I just got an email that the FBO on my field, KGTU, was raising their price from the same as the pumps ($4.55) to $5.95. Supposedly this had been some kind of promotion they were running for the past several years and now they want to get more competitive with FBO's at KAUS (Austin Bergstrom Int'l) which right now the 100LL there is in the high $6's low $7's.

Bummer - I guess I'll be hitting the pumps from now on. Everybody is getting greedy...

Taxes are a portion of these prices. Greed also plays a part. Not long ago the president of exxon retired and was paid a retirement "bonus" of over 370 million dollars for running a virtual monopoly. Management of these company's are paid enormous sums of money AND receive massive tax write offs from the government which we the tax payers pay for. There's a lot of inventive bookkeeping going on here. With the sudden boom in oil and natural gas it's possible gas should be around a buck fifty a gallon if all the b.s. Were put aside.

I don't disagree. That and all the speculation on the oil futures market. Someone sneezes in Syria and the price of a barrel of oil goes up $3. Multiply that by the tens of millions of barrels of oil bought and sold in a day and it's pretty mind numbing.

I'm actually shocked that it's below $3 a gallon where I live. There seems to be that rule of .50 cents. Once it gets up above that threshold for a certain amount of time it just doesn't seem to want to come back down below it.

I wasn't flying with the 100LL came to be, but IIRC it was back in the late 80's or early 90's. Even then, it seems like most of the planes, mine included, were rated on 80+ octane. I'm not sure why someone can't brew up some 80'ish octane with a little lead - why does it have to be super refined 100 octane? These 360's and 540's and IO's out there aren't high compression that require octane ratings that high? It still blows my mind that gas for my near 50 year old plane costs more than what they pump into the jets...

A bit off topic, but for youse who burn MoGas.

Pure-gas.org does a hell of a lot better job of keeping their site updated and accurate than buyrealgas.com does. At least that's the case in the areas I'm familiar with.

<SNIP>

I wasn't flying with the 100LL came to be, but IIRC it was back in the late 80's or early 90's. Even then, it seems like most of the planes, mine included, were rated on 80+ octane. I'm not sure why someone can't brew up some 80'ish octane with a little lead - why does it have to be super refined 100 octane? These 360's and 540's and IO's out there aren't high compression that require octane ratings that high? It still blows my mind that gas for my near 50 year old plane costs more than what they pump into the jets...

It's a volume thing. All the various parties decided it wasn't worth the effort for the limited volume sold. Kind of like what happened with 91/96 avgas, as the volume decreased, all the parties in the supply chain decided the volume wasn't worth it. IIRC the price differential wasn't much anyway, and 100LL replaced both fairly well, provided the low compression engine's pilots used their mixture controls.

I'm getting back into flying again right now. I ferried my plane to my A&P's airfield yesterday. As it has been a bit over a year, I'm feeling out prices right now. Here is what I see locally in Tennessee
KFYM, my home field, $5.70ish. I forgot to write it down. (100ll.com says $5.70 on October 17th.)
38 miles away by car is Winchester, Tennessee airport.
KBGF, Winchester, is $4.72. (100ll.com 29 October).

I've fueled there before and they are happy to fill 5 gallon jugs if you pull up in a truck. Looks like it is time for a drive!!! It'll cost me $20 in diesel, so I better bring a bunch of jugs! :wink2:

Jim

Just found 100LL for $4.27 at KCHN...just 65nm away :)

On the MoGas front...

I filled the truck up at 2.74 today.

Not sure why but i've seen a spike in 100LL and mogas prices in the past 10 days...even though oil is still around $94 per barrel. Expect Oil to drop $1-$2 a barrel on Monday due to the Iran deal.

The Tyler, TX avgas refinery has been OOS for about a month. Avgas in this part of the country is not easy to resupply at this time.

Back