100 Hour vs Annual Inspections and Airplane Purchase

hish747

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hish747
Hypothetical question. If one were to buy an airplane for personal flying from a flight school that just had a 100 hour inspection, when would the annual inspection be due? In 100 hours or immediately?

Clearly my question was the result of my misunderstanding that 100 hour inspections were conducted instead of annuals in commercial operations, which I realize now is incorrect. Thanks for your patience. :)

Just FYI and for your new memory book ... the ONLY difference between a 100 hour and an annual is the person who signs it off. An A&P mechanic can do a 100 hour, but it takes an A&P with Inspection Authorization (commonly abbrvtd "IA") to sign the annual.

Jim

Just FYI and for your new memory book ... the ONLY difference between a 100 hour and an annual is the person who signs it off.

There are some minor differences between the two. Your ELT needs to be inspected every year—typically at annual. Some STCs, like the one for Brackett air filters, require parts replacement every year but not every 100 hours. There are also lots of ADs that kick in every 100 hours so would not necessarily have to be done at annual. But for all practical purposes the inspections are the same.

How does 100 hour inspections work when the aircraft is inspected IAW A Progressive?

There are some minor differences between the two. Your ELT needs to be inspected every year—typically at annual. Some STCs, like the one for Brackett air filters, require parts replacement every year but not every 100 hours. There are also lots of ADs that kick in every 100 hours so would not necessarily have to be done at annual. But for all practical purposes the inspections are the same.
Just as a counter, suppose the ELT and the Brackett are tested/replaced at the 100 hour in June and the annual is due in December. The A&P would do the 100 hours and the IA would not have to do them. The inverse is also true, so I stand by my original statement...both have to look to see whether they had been done on time. For all practical purposes they are identical.

Jim

There are some minor differences between the two.
Just to add to the above: the aircraft 100hr and annual inspection criteria are identical to include a review of ADs. Performing additional maintenance like discrepancy repair, recurring ADs, etc is supplemental to that inspection. And you can legally sign off the inspection provided you give the owner a list of those disc, etc.

Yep, our club had an IA doing the 100 hours so he would just sign them off as annuals. The 100 hour rule says "100 hour or annual" inspection in the last 100 hours. Those who need the 100 hour aren't exempt from also having an annual in the past year. They have two clocks: a year one and a 100 hour one.

As pointed out nothing ties the AD or ELT to the annual. If the ELT isn't due at annual, it can be disregarded. If an AD isn't yet due, all that is necessary is note when it will be due.

Just to add to the above: the aircraft 100hr and annual inspection criteria are identical to include a review of ADs. Performing additional maintenance like discrepancy repair, recurring ADs, etc is supplemental to that inspection. And you can legally sign off the inspection provided you give the owner a list of those disc, etc.
Right and anybody auhtorized to do the maintenance called out can return the aircraft to service. If the IA says the annual is good except notes the discrepancy that the tire is flat, I can replace the tire and sign the aircraft off as airworthy.

Yep, our club had an IA doing the 100 hours so he would just sign them off as annuals. The 100 hour rule says "100 hour or annual" inspection in the last 100 hours. Those who need the 100 hour aren't exempt from also having an annual in the past year. They have two clocks: a year one and a 100 hour one.

As pointed out nothing ties the AD or ELT to the annual. If the ELT isn't due at annual, it can be disregarded. If an AD isn't yet due, all that is necessary is note when it will be due.
It would have been a good idea to have the IA sign EACH 100 hour as an annual. That way the annual never comes due during the 100 hour inspection period.

Jim

Right and anybody auhtorized to do the maintenance called out can return the aircraft to service. If the IA says the annual is good except notes the discrepancy that the tire is flat, I can replace the tire and sign the aircraft off as airworthy.

The IA would inspect and then make a determination of either airworthy or not airworthy with a list of discrepancies to be fixed. If Mr Owner says no to fixing, the annual would need to be certified as unairworthy and Mr Owner would be on his way. If the unairworthy issue was a worn out tire, Mr Owner could fix it himself and certify the preventitive maintenance, technically closing out the annual at that time. At any rate, the maintenance done would be a return to service, not an aircraft airworthy certification.

Or better yet, work with the IA and fix all the unairworthy items before the inspection is completed and get an airworthy certification.

It would have been a good idea to have the IA sign EACH 100 hour as an annual. That way the annual never comes due during the 100 hour inspection period.

Jim

I agree.

the annual would need to be certified as unairworthy
FYI: technically the annual is signed off as complete but does not make the aircraft as a whole unairworthy. It's the "list of discrepancies and unairworthy items " that are unairworthy. In other words, the annual is performed by the IA and the resulting discs can be simply cleared by an owner or A&P. Otherwise an IA would need to sign off again after the disc were cleared.

FYI: technically the annual is signed off as complete but does not make the aircraft as a whole unairworthy. It's the "list of discrepancies and unairworthy items " that are unairworthy. In other words, the annual is performed by the IA and the resulting discs can be simply cleared by an owner or A&P. Otherwise an IA would need to sign off again after the disc were cleared.

Right. Makes more sense that the annual is done with.

Back