0-470 FOD

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Today my C-182 customer relayed the trouble he is having with his engine.
It started as a simple cylinder swap. but while he had his cylinders removed he dropped a cylinder base nut into the crank case.
So he drains the oil, flushes the engine, and goes fishing with a magnet. and pulls out a full sized gear tooth. Thinks WTF goes fishing again and pulls out two more gear teeth, Ok enough is enough, and he drops the oil pan and finds his nut, and another gear tooth.
That's when he gets out the bore scope and takes a look in the accessory case, and sure enough there is a tooth missing from the cam gear.
How that engine was running fine is a mystery, but it is off and sent in for overhaul. We will see what they find during tear down.
There was no metal in the filter at last oil change, or any in the oil that came out when drained.
Talk about a lucky find. :)

Attachments

• 20161208_133023.jpg
    20161208_133023.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 102
Sounds like his misfortunate of dropping the nut worked out for him in the long run.

Sounds like his misfortunate of dropping the nut worked out for him in the long run.
You bet !

this engine was last overhauled in 1995, by Premier Engines of Troutdale Or, .then a tear down and repair at 485 hours SMOH, in 2000, for a metal generating failure.(premier engines of Troutdale Or. again) has been running normally since then with a couple cylinder changes.

IF the gears are going fast enough, a tooth (or two, or **shudder* three in a row if you are UNBElieveably lucky) won't be missed. Just keep them things swinging by REAL fast so that the odd tooth goes by before you miss it.

Jim

Is it considered FOD if it comes from inside the engine?

I've watched a local guy find cam gear teeth in the oil pan on an H35 bonanza with an IO470, probably 16 years ago now.

The 0-470- gear pictures from Western Skyways

Attachments

• IMG9502661.jpg
    IMG9502661.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG9502671.jpg
    IMG9502671.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 87
Is the object, foreign, to where it should be or usually is?
I think of foreign as from outside the engine. And the damage didn't come from a foreign object, the damage created the object(s). Now if a hammer was introduced into the case which caused the cam gears to come apart, that seems like a plausible definition of FOD.

There are a couple of industry accepted definitions for FOD. One is the damage caused by a foreign object, another is the foreign object it self. The gear tooth, loose inside the engine, is definitely FOD.

I was first introduced to "FOD" in the Air Force, in the 1970's. We FOD walked the ramp every Monday morning. I thought it was odd, way back then, too.

Last edited:
I was first introduced to "FOD" in the Air Force, in the 1970's. We FOD walked the ramp every Monday morning. I thought it was odd, way back then, too.

I've always found that definition amusing. It might be an object that is foreign to its environment but it hasn't done any damage just sitting there yet. So wouldn't it just be "FO" rather than "FOD"? :)

It was actually FOD prevention walk, make sense, now?

But, the industry has adapted from the origional definition, FOD, being foreign object damage, to now include FOD, being foreign object debris.

58420035.jpg

You sent the engine to Western Skyways??? Yikes!!!

You sent the engine to Western Skyways??? Yikes!!!
I didn't send it.. the owner did, prior to my getting involved.
Wouldn't have been my choice either.

It was actually FOD prevention walk, make sense, now?

But, the industry has adapted from the origional definition, FOD, being foreign object damage, to now include FOD, being foreign object debris.
The question could be ... if it came from the engine was it for Foreign ?

Well Tom, we agree. I've had bad experiences with Western, and also know of several others!

Alright, from my employer's FOD Prevention Program:

According to the National Aerospace FOD Prevention, Inc.'s FOD Prevention Guideline (2000), Foreign Object Debris (FOD) is a substance, debris or article alien to a vehicle or system which would potentially a use damage. Foreign Object Damage (FOD) is any damage attributed to a foreign object that can be expressed in physical or economic terms which may or may not degrade the product's required safety and/or performance characteristics.

Well Tom, we agree. I've had bad experiences with Western, and also know of several others!

I've also heard good and bad. They seem "inconsistent" these days, which was not the case long ago. Not sure why.

Back