0-320-E2D

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
who makes the best cylinders Superior or Lycoming
Lycoming cylinder are about $100.00 more than Superiors.
Are they worth it?

I'm not your Lycoming expert, but I have a 172 customer that needs 4

Last edited:
I forget the details now, but when I bought some last year superior left something out that came with the lycos that made it pretty much a wash (if you didn’t want to reuse the old ones). Wish I could remember what it was.

I went with lyco, so you’ll buy superiors. Lol.

so you’ll buy superiors. Lol.
That wasn't needed, the rest of your post is under advisement.
End decision of course will be my customers.

That wasn't needed, the rest of your post is under advisement.
End decision of course will be my customers.
No sense of humor left at all eh?

Lycoming cylinder are about $100.00 more than Superiors.
Last I recall, Lycoming cylinder kit had additional parts than Superior. Difference was closer to $50 or so.

Taking customers, someone must be feeling better. No advice on the cylinders.

The place I’m at has had four overhauls done within the past five years on O235’s, O320’s and an IO-360.

From that, I’ve come to realize that sometimes the aftermarket cylinders are better and sometimes they’re worse. On several of the engines, Millenium’s were installed, the others had OEM Lycoming’s.

Cylinders are a **** show because all of the manufacturers have had problems and it always seems to go in cycles between them and I would imagine Superior is the same.

Personally, if it was my own airplane and I was looking for cylinders, I'd buy whatever the better deal was and just cross my fingers.

I wouldn't hesitate to fly behind any of them and wouldn't bet a penny on which brand would fail first or receive a surprise AD LOL. Good luck, Tom!

For new, I would probably opt for the Lycoming. For other than new, I dunno.

Last I recall, Lycoming cylinder kit had additional parts than Superior. Difference was closer to $50 or so.
I can not find on line evidence of that.

Calling Airpower in the AM

This engine was overhauls by a A&P just under 500 hours ago. (3 years) the lower end was done correctly, but the cylinders were skuff honed and new rings and pistons installed. the valve guides and valves were not done. Doing the valve wobble check you get .035 wiggle at the keeper ring.
I do not have the tools or the parts to repair.

We also have the option of rebuilding the 4 we have, by sending them to Western Skyways, Haven't talked to them yet.

As the others have already said, when comparing the cylinder kit prices and all the parts to make them the same your’re looking at around $25-50 price difference.

I’ve done a lot of Lycoming overhauls over the past decade and feel the fit and finish of the OE cylinders has been the most consistent but either OE or Superior will work.

I can not find on line evidence of that.

Calling Airpower in the AM

This engine was overhauls by a A&P just under 500 hours ago. (3 years) the lower end was done correctly, but the cylinders were skuff honed and new rings and pistons installed. the valve guides and valves were not done. Doing the valve wobble check you get .035 wiggle at the keeper ring.
I do not have the tools or the parts to repair.

We also have the option of rebuilding the 4 we have, by sending them to Western Skyways, Haven't talked to them yet.

I don't think the piston pin/plugs are included in Superior kits.

Don't forget the pesky detaiL that this E2D may have either low or higher compression pistons in it depending on if stock or modified per STC.

The guy above is correct. It’s the piston pins that are missing from the superior kit. The difference was under $50 each once you buy those.

I was actually looking at these two options for my E2D last month and two shops both told me there is a shortage of Lycoming cylinders right now due to a problem at the factory. So if you need Lycoming cylinders it might be a wait depending on what’s sitting on the shelf.

I don't think the piston pin/plugs are included in Superior kits.

They aren’t. But the superior kits have the rocker arm shaft, which isn’t included in the Lycoming kit.

By the time you include the cost of buying all the parts to make either cylinder kit comparable with the other one, you’re talking about a small price difference between the two. At that point the question of which to use becomes personal preference.

The E2D engine is such a bother, due to the dual mag nonsense and the need for the higher compression pistons to avoid lead fouling, etc...

Is there an STC to mod the engine for dual mags? The pistons are a must, IMO...

The E2D engine is such a bother, due to the dual mag nonsense and the need for the higher compression pistons to avoid lead fouling, etc...

Is there an STC to mod the engine for dual mags? The pistons are a must, IMO...

Are you thinking of the H2AD? That has the crazy dual mag and the AD for the lycoming additive. E2D is the bog standard mag setup.

Are you thinking of the H2AD? That has the crazy dual mag and the AD for the lycoming additive. E2D is the bog standard mag setup.

Yep, H2AD. What I meant to ask was whether an H2AD could be modded to look like an E2...

...Need more coffee. :sigh:

I had to do a top overhaul on my 0-320-E2A this past May. I know not the same series, However I was not able to find 4 new Lycoming cylinders without buying them individually from different vendors. I went with the Superiors and bought them from Aircraft Specialties Services in Tulsa. It worked out great because I live in Oklahoma city so I did not have to pay shipping. I did have to buy the wrist pins separate though.

I just got 4 brand new Lycoming cylinder kits last night, pulled them from the box as the UPS truck drove off, two of them have pretty big rust spots in the barrels, rust on the bases and on the skirts, called the vendor and still waiting to hear what they are gonna do for me. The labels say they were manufactured in April 2019. obviously not preserved well when packaged.

Back