…When to Hang It Up!

Thing is if you’re doing things right in an airplane you don’t need lightening fast reflexes. If you start really needing them maybe it’s time to hang it up.

The DPE on my PPL checkride was in his mid 80's. He had done over 6000 check rides. But, he was on his way out, he said it just was getting too hard to keep his medical.

When you start reading back clearances like this, it’s time.

All I can say is YIKES! Best case scenario, he's a good pilot that was in a fog on that day in which case he probably should not have flown. Worst case scenario, his pilotage would reflect the skill of the readback in which case he should not have flown. There's often more in play than what we can see from a snippet on the internet, but I'd say at the very least that pilot should have hung it up for the day.

Lol you just grounded all my 23 year olds back in my first half (T6) prison sentence at DLF. Hell i caught myself in a similar cottonmouth when i was a student. You havent lived until you've tripped over your own d on frequency, followed by the almighty " DIS RE GGGGARD..." on the radio coming from the backseat. :D

I was amazed to read about an 85 year old still flying his (high performance) homebuilt.
I’m in my early 50’s, I figure I can keep flying until I’m in my mid to late 60’s.
I guess the other safeguard is the biennial flight review, if that does not go well with the CFI, it’s time to ‘hang it up’!
I welcome your comments - thanks!

Sorry, but we all age at different rates. I have an Army buddy that was born at the very same minute in time as myself. We are 73. I visited him this last weekend after not seeing him in over six years. He would EASILY pass for ninety plus. I know many people a lot younger than myself that have aged much more rapidly than myself. I also know a number of pilots in their eighties that I feel MUCH more comfortable flying with than a good number of the forty or fifty something pilots that I know.

Just like with our airplanes, they are declared airworthy based on a proper inspection. When my body can no longer pass an annual, I’ll throw in the towel.

BTW, there is indeed something called “age discrimination.”

This guy was still an active flight instructor into his late 80s. Age is a number. When to hang it up is a personal thing. 50- ha! That's still a pup!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/air-space-magazine/across-continent-homebuilt-distance-180957787/

37283862320_88eab6cf9f_c.jpg

I'm late 60's, fit, no meds or medical issues, congitive performance still fine. Recently got IFR recurrent in an airplane I'd never flown (Cirrus SR20), though NOT in just one session, for sure. Some folks are old at 50, others are perking fine in their late 70's - Muhammad Ali was a phenomenal athlete, but "old" at thirty. Tom Brady isn't too old at 45. Genetics kinda rule. That said, I have some age limitations - not as agile, and somewhat reduced flexibility, and I need glasses now. a long flight can give me some lower back pain, too.

It tempting to to get too cautious as you age - it seems to help to continue to stretch, maybe scare yourself a little; you might find you can do more than your confidence supported. You have a large body of "unconscious" knowledge as an older pilot, a foundation you may not acknowledge, one you take for granted.

I'm 66 & instructing full time. I fly my 182 for pleasure & trips on a regular basis. I don't even think about hanging it up. My 50 years of flying experience seems to attract all the students I can handle. I do yearly flight reviews (required by his insurance) of a 94 year old that flies his 177RG on nearly a daily basis.

Keep yourself in shape physically & challenge yourself mentally. It does seem however, as airplane age they get harder to get in & out of.

I am 82 , Still a student . Bought my 172 in Dec of 2019.
Now have over 90 hours solo in it. It's a lovely old broom tail with STOL wings. Handles nicely no ugly surprises , difficult to make it break in a stall . Now over 150 hours total and over 500 landings with it still being airworthy . Insurance is an issue .
They wanted me to carry hull insurance or they would not insure me . I told them I guess I would run with out any insurance . They changed their mind and wrote the liability alone . $1800 per year . My hourly costs on a yearly basis are not worth owning but I like the freedom of owning and flying when I want .
I am healthy , active , and can afford the toy. Life is good. :)

Mental capacity and quickness definitely start to diminish a bit for everyone in their 60's. At 61, I try to be much more disciplined and meticulous with flight planning, checklists, etc. I also started recording any little mistakes in OneNote that I can review frequently to avoid making the same again, ie retracting flaps a bit late, not turning off the boost pump immediately after switching tanks, missing a radio call at an uncontrolled airport, etc. It definitely helps keep me sharp. And I think these improved habits will help me fly safely into my 80's. If my list of mistakes continues to grow, then I'll know when it's time to hang it up.

I've concluded that if I can't remember the gate code at the airport, the code for the FBO, the hangar, or which plane in the hangar is mine ... yea it's probably time to take up bowling ...

With recent insurance premium increases and hangar increases (30%), I’ll probably have to give it up for financial reasons before cognitive issues.

I've concluded that if I can't remember the gate code at the airport, the code for the FBO, the hangar, or which plane in the hangar is mine ... yea it's probably time to take up bowling ...
Since I have never had the ability to retain numbers, that won't be my red flag :D

Muhammad Ali was a phenomenal athlete, but "old" at thirty. Tom Brady isn't too old at 45. Genetics kinda rule
Well, not getting punched in the head helps a lot, too.

I'm convinced that staying active and challenged both physically and mentally are the keys to quality of life as you get older. I'm working now to get my weight under control and have decent muscle mass to carry into my 50s,60s, 70s, and hopefully 80s and 90s. Flying is an excellent mental challenge to keep your brain working. I want to be like @X3 Skier and be building new airplanes in my 80s.

Well, not getting punched in the head helps a lot, too.

Agree... however I own a high wing Cessna, so......

and be building new airplanes in my 80s.

Agree again.
I do know a couple guys doing just that. Only thing is, they started on the plane in their sixties ;)

I figure driving will go first. Being 4 feet left of centerline in the plane isn't a big deal. In the car, more right rudder just speeds me up in the wrong lane.

Last edited:
This getting old sucks! I haven't flown for a bit, and planned to pull the plane out of the hangar today. I woke up with my right thumb hurting so badly I could hardly dress.
Bah Humbug!

Everyone is different,both physically and mentally. You will be surprised how soon you’ll reach 80. Insurance is one of the major reasons pilots hang it up. After a certain age it’s wise to have another pilot or a young person with you when you fly. I have no idea what that age would be.

"I figure I can keep flying until I’m in my mid to late 60’s."

I'm 62, and I just got my license two years ago! So no, do not see myself sitting on a rocking chair eating pudding anytime soon.

200w.gif

I am thinking of going basic med. But that will keep me out of class A airspace.

Then again, a STOL 206 with bush tires and wheels might be a lot of fun in the desert.

Every cardiologist I see tell me I have remarkable arteries. I just wish I could remember who you folks are and why I am on this forum...

I just wish I could remember who you folks are and why I am on this forum...

I’ll be glad to help.

You’re a philanthropist, and you’re on this forum to help worthy impoverished aircraft owners like me. If you’ll give me your credit card number you won’t have to remember to write that check to me every month.

This guy was still an active flight instructor into his late 80s. Age is a number. When to hang it up is a personal thing. 50- ha! That's still a pup!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/air-space-magazine/across-continent-homebuilt-distance-180957787/

37283862320_88eab6cf9f_c.jpg

The guy who taught me basic flight in 1990 had recently retired. He is still at it and pushing 90. A friends son asked who he could go to for his spin endorsement. I sent him to the old guy and they both enjoyed the experience. Stay young.

On our field, I FULLY EXPECT that with the exception of the corporate pilots flying the Citations we have more owner/pilots over 70 than under and a LOT over 80.

Back