“Deactivating” inop equipment - circuit breaker operation

CerroTorre

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CerroTorre
Ran into a question I couldn’t fully resolve recently. It’s a little pedantic and maybe the result of some over thinking but …

For example, an inop landing light can be flown legally in day VFR but still requires deactivation first. This question arose because the aircraft in question had the type of circuit breaker that is the “push to reset” type and not (to my limited knowledge) “pullable” in order to open the circuit. Holding them in did not “pop” them out.

Since “deactivation” requires making the equipment “unusable to the pilot or crew” one can’t simply fly while leaving the switch in the off position and call that “deactivated” (I know - dumb point but it came up), so how would one do an in-the-field deactivation to allow a legal flight home?

Last edited:
Second question, why are these types of circuit breakers used? Or, more likely, what am I missing in my understanding of how they work?

Last edited:
Since “deactivation” requires making the equipment “unusable to the pilot or crew” one can’t simply fly while leaving the switch in the off position and call that “deactivated”
There was FAA guidance at one time that stated this exact thing. Turning the switch off and placarding the switch per Part 91.213(d) meets the intent. There have been many discussions on this but its boils down to what you choose to do and how you sign it off.
why are these types of circuit breakers used?
They cost less than the other types.

Copy. So a grey area that, by necessity involves some discretion on the part of the pilot depending on the particulars of the equipment involved and the failure mode/cause. i.e. use good judgement, don’t be a dummy, and follow the rules. And hope you don’t get unlucky with an overly uptight ramp inspection.

Seems appropriate although mildly, annoyingly ambiguous. But tolerable. Like a lot of regs.

I’d be interested to read the FAA guidance on this if anyone has the reference.

“They cost less” - makes sense. :)

Thanks for the reply Bell206

There was FAA guidance at one time that stated this exact thing. Turning the switch off and placarding the switch per Part 91.213(d) meets the intent. There have been many discussions on this but its boils down to what you choose to do and how you sign it off.

In my Beech, some of the switches are also the breakers, similar to this part: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/cata...MIg6Sis9zq-gIVSIlaBR09yA9eEAQYASABEgLSyfD_BwE . In fact, my landing light is an example. So when I turn off the switch, I've "pulled" the breaker.

When a landing light is burned out, hasn't it self-deactivated? :)

First use a Sharpie and write "DNFW" on a piece of duct tape. Then place the tape on the landing light switch.

You're good.

Edit: NFG works too.

Last edited:
When a landing light is burned out, hasn't it self-deactivated?
Possibly, provided the bulb has been verified burnt. But if the landing light is out due to a short in the wire then its not really deactivated which could lead to other issues or "hazards" as indicated in 91.213.

Tripping a breaker is usually the most convenient, but not the only way to deactivate an item. Problem is most other ways require an MX to isolate.

For a light, simply remove the bad bulb. The circuit is open and will not conduct.

The FAR does not state that a circuit must be de-energized as a breaker may have other working items on it that you can still use.

Last edited:
How about a log book entry in addition to labeling it afu. Must have if the aircraft has a Minimum Equipment List.

How about a log book entry in addition to labeling it afu. Must have if the aircraft has a Minimum Equipment List.
FYI: 91.213(d) states if any maintenance is required to deactivate equipment and entry must be made in the logbook per Part 43 regardless if it has an MEL or any other listing.

Tripping a breaker is usually the most convenient, but not the only way to deactivate an item. Problem is most other ways require an MX to isolate.

For a light, simply remove the bad bulb. The circuit is open and will not conduct.

The FAR does not state that a circuit must be de-energized as a breaker may have other working items on it that you can still use.

Unless the short in the circuit was prior to the light bulb base . . .

Back