‘68 C182L Door Handle

Discussion in 'Maintenance Bay' started by PlaneFlyer, Sep 2, 2019.

1. PlaneFlyer

PlaneFlyer Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    PlaneFlyer
    I’m having a repeat issue with the copilot side door handle on my ‘68 C182. A little over a year ago, a passenger pulled the door closed with it and then the handle would turn freely without engaging the latch. The repair was not cheap, but I figured it was old and the years of manhandling the door caused the problem. Now the new overpriced handle is doing a similar thing. It will still engage the latch, but it is loose and will spin freely unless you actively press in on the handle to engage the locking mechanism at certain points. Before I pay for another $800 door repair, any recommendations on things to check? Thanks.

2. StevieTimes

StevieTimes Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    StevieTimes
  3. bnt83

bnt83 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian
    I only ever pull/slam the door closed with the armrest/handle, I guess the latch/knob needs a "NO PULL" placard.

God these things are cheap built.

Checkout_my_Six likes this.
  4. 455 Bravo Uniform

455 Bravo Uniform En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    455 Bravo Uniform
    I seem to recall an extensive 182 door handle thread on Cessna-Pilots.net

Something about old Chevy parts (seriously).

Not sure it covers your year, but worth a read.

5. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    Agreed, just wish they repaired just as cheap.

6. timwinters

timwinters Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    LTD
    I don't see anything over there but I didn't spend a lot of time looking. You might be remembering the thread that's linked in the first response above.

7. PlaneFlyer

Display Name:

Display name:
    PlaneFlyer
    Appreciate the replies. I had read through the linked thread that was posted. Good info, although I’m hoping that the newly replaced handle is still usable and just needs some minor work to reattach. I’m going to try to look at the mechanism that attaches the handle to the latch to see if maybe it’s just a quick reattachment.

8. NordicDave

NordicDave Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    NordicDave
    I overhauled my door latch mechanisms and realigned the doors. They now suck shut like a new Cessna and the latch handle rotates butter smooth. Surprising after the old quarter round was remove, then replaced with proper door gasket, and properly greased the latch internals can do.

Realigning the doors helped and they now sit square in the frame as intended. Very likely a 40 yo plane still has the factory grease dried out with a few 1000's hours to fit. All parts were properly re-plated by a precision plating service to like new.

I had a lot of pilots ask how it was done and created 2 blog post to describe it.

Realigning Cessna doors: http://welch.com/n46pg/2019/07/05/realigning-cessna-doors/

Overhaul Cessna door latches: http://welch.com/n46pg/2017/08/01/overhauled-door-latch-mechanisms/

wheaties likes this.
  9. Nmm347

Nmm347 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Nmm347
    If you are referring to the internal door handle it fastens with a c clip to the latch mechanism post. The post has teeth on it and the door handle has a hole with teeth inside which engage the latch. Our teeth on the handle were stripped off after years of use. After a quick search of airplane salvage shops I found a replacement for 100 bucks.

Attached Files:

10. PlaneFlyer

Display Name:

Display name:
    PlaneFlyer
    Thanks for the additional recommendations. It is the interior handle that is having the problem. It will still engage the latch if I push it into the door prior to turning it, so I'm thinking the teeth may still be good. Might be something with the attachment clip that is failing to hold the handle tight to the door. I'll have to take a look at that possibility.

11. Nmm347

Nmm347 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Nmm347
    The C clip fits in a groove on the latch post but it’s not a tight fit. Ours would do the same thing when pushed in. The teeth were stripped out of the handle except for a few way deep inside the handle. There’s enough play in the c clip that you can push the handle farther onto the latch post. When doing so the last remaining teeth would engage and operate the latch. We got by like this for a while then it stripped out completely.

12. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Canis Non Grata
    Have an A&P Mechanic take a look at it. Fixing things for aircraft owners is sort of their thing.

13. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    UngaWunga
    This is why I open the window and grab the door frame to close the door now. Had the same problem last year. Those stupid door handles are expensive, and the cheap ebay ones I found didn't match the teeth on the door mechanism. Stupid how expensive they are.