Flying Wild Alaska

re: gold rush ... I watched a couple of episodes on a gloomy grumpy day last week ... are they still "almost to the glory hole"? (and still broke?)

re: gold rush ... I watched a couple of episodes on a gloomy grumpy day last week ... are they still "almost to the glory hole"? (and still broke?)

I liked the grizzled gold prospectors that unannounced, hitched a ride back on Flying Wild Alaska, amazingly, by simply dragging their stuff up to the landing strip when they heard the plane over the horizon (and now that I think about it, probably heard and saw the film crew flying in and setting up. I wondered how they could have been packed and ready to go so fast.)

"We've been here 4 months and we're ready to get back to the real comfort. Anywhere you're going. See? This is why we came out. About $4000 worth. Yeah. We'll pay $700 for the ride. Can we get a room in Unakleet? $1200 to get home...." I guess they make it up in volume. :crazy:

I liked the grizzled gold prospectors that unannounced, hitched a ride back on Flying Wild Alaska, amazingly, by simply dragging their stuff up to the landing strip when they heard the plane over the horizon (and now that I think about it, probably heard and saw the film crew flying in and setting up. I wondered how they could have been packed and ready to go so fast.)

"We've been here 4 months and we're ready to get back to the real comfort. Anywhere you're going. See? This is why we came out. About $4000 worth. Yeah. We'll pay $700 for the ride. Can we get a room in Unakleet? $1200 to get home...." I guess they make it up in volume. :crazy:
Yeah, but I'd do that in a heartbeat. Prospecting for gold in a beautiful part of the country beats sitting in an office IMO.

I tried -- tried -- to watch this show.

Just can't do it.

:no:

Here's how I experienced the show:

1. Cut to cinema verite camera moving around people doing ordinary stuff
  2. voice over about impending doom
  3. Cut to shot of airplane taking off or landing
  4. Cut to cinema verite camera moving around people doing ordinary stuff
  5. voice over about impending doom
  6. Flash cut of moment during airplane taking off or landing
  7. commercial
  8. commercial
  9. promo
  10. commercial
  11. commercial
  12. Flash cut of moment during airplane taking off or landing
  13. voice over about impending doom
  14. Cut to cinema verite camera moving around people doing ordinary stuff
  15. voice over about impending doom
  16. Cut to shot of airplane taking off or landing
  17. Cut to cinema verite camera moving around people doing ordinary stuff
  18. voice over about impending doom
Yeah, sorry -- just not interesting.

Since I somewhat share your sentiments expressed above, I forwarded your comments to my son-in-law, who is a tv producer. He uses me as his "older audience" sounding board, as in "I wonder what the old farts will think about this?" :)

Here's a snippet of his response...
--------------------
"Well at least it's not one of my shows. : )

We try to go for more depth with our shows, but it is always surprising when we compare what we pitch to what's on TV. Some of these shows are such stretches for actual shows - like Flying Wild for example. You don't really care about the characters or get drawn into the characters. Welcome to the world of TV. Hopefully we will be producing better products..."
--------------------
I think they're trying to expand Ariel's character - first her 'air-headedness', then her humor, but then her expressions of grief with the teen suicide episode.

Since I somewhat share your sentiments expressed above, I forwarded your comments to my son-in-law, who is a tv producer. He uses me as his "older audience" sounding board, as in "I wonder what the old farts will think about this?" :)

--------------------

We try to go for more depth with our shows, but it is always surprising when we compare what we pitch to what's on TV. Some of these shows are such stretches for actual shows - like Flying Wild for example. You don't really care about the characters or get drawn into the characters. Welcome to the world of TV. Hopefully we will be producing better products..."
--------------------
I think they're trying to expand Ariel's character - first her 'air-headedness', then her humor, but then her expressions of grief with the teen suicide episode.

I haven't invested the time required to catch up, so don't nkow about that.

Thanks for forwarding and the response.

FWIW, one of the few TV shows we watch is The Closer -- good acting, interesting scenarios, minimal gore, characters that seem real.

I love the show! I grew up in small town in Alaska, so I grew up with and love all the bush flying! This is one of my favorite Discovery channel shows next to Deadliest Catch. I actually worked with one of their daughters, who isn't on the show this season a couple summers back and met Ariel.

FWIW, one of the few TV shows we watch is The Closer -- good acting, interesting scenarios, minimal gore, characters that seem real.

I've gotten addicted to that one. The acting is top notch all around, and the ensemble cast works well together. Kyra Sedgewick's character seems real in terms of interpersonal relationships. In real life no one could be that consistent at getting confessions though, but it's still good entertainment. Unfortunately it seems that I have now seen all the reruns at least once.

As far as Gold Rush... Wow, what a waste of time.. But it's like watching a train wreck - you know it's gonna be nasty, but you can't help but watch it just to see how bad it really is. I was bored enough to sit through the first two episodes and my wife said "I can't believe you're watching this!" By the end of the season, she was watching it beside me saying - "They're so stupid, I can't help but watch to see how the screw up THIS time!"

There's one that's even worse, "Swamp People".

"Gee, I wonder if they're gonna kill another alligator tonight?"

I'll watch when the alligator finally wins one.:D

Isn't that "Swamp Loggers," - evidently endless shots of toothless dudes stashing and retrieving waterlogged timbers in rivers and swamps - in the dark to avoid getting ripped off - yeah, while the camera keeps tracking the gator, worst of all, narrated again by Thom....Beeeeers. How exciting.

Last edited:

Second only to Larry the cable guys Only in America, making mules,

--------------------

--------------------
But I can't shake the feeling that they really don't understand the subject matter to begin with. I wouldn't mind as much if they did understand it but simplified it for the show. That doesn't seem like it's what's happening though.

The other day, they showed a picture of an AWOS and referred to it as "ATC". This isn't a simplification - it's just wrong. Like showing a picture of a car and calling it a house.

guaranteed the producer and editors do NOT have much (if any) GA experience ...

Isn't that "Swamp Loggers," - evidently endless shots of toothless dudes stashing and retrieving waterlogged timbers in rivers and swamps - in the dark to avoid getting ripped off - yeah, while the camera keeps tracking the gator, worst of all, narrated again by Thom....Beeeeers. How exciting.

No, there is actually a Swamp People series.

guaranteed the producer and editors do NOT have much (if any) GA experience ...

With the exception of Ariel's instructional flights, this show is about commercial aviation, not GA.

With the exception of Ariel's instructional flights, this show is about commercial aviation, not GA.

Ok, let me re-phrase ... I doubt that the people putting this show together have much technical experience in Aviation in General ... but they do have a lot of Commericals! :)

Yea, but you know that anything that flys with a propeller is one of those dangerous private deathwish machines. I love hearing grown adults that I work with and should know better scared fecesless if they have to board one of those "tiny" Beech 1900s. :hairraise:

I've gotten addicted to that one. The acting is top notch all around, and the ensemble cast works well together. Kyra Sedgewick's character seems real in terms of interpersonal relationships. In real life no one could be that consistent at getting confessions though, but it's still good entertainment. Unfortunately it seems that I have now seen all the reruns at least once.
Rumor has it that Kyra has decided to call it quits so the show is likely to end. It is one of the more believable (and entertaining) shows on TV. I'm surprised it lasted past 13 episodes.

If someone did have a "reality show" of GA and they stuck strictly to keeping it technically correct it would die in the ratings after one show.

Dude, Gimme an Effing Break! What could possibly be more exciting than a camera following someone going round and round the pattern pounding out landings one after another? And without all the commentary you could focus on the sound of the engine droning on and on!!!

7 minutes and 7 seconds of your life you will never get back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9aECqTYBV8

Oh, I do like the show about the pawn shop in Vegas - people bring in all kinds of interesting stuff.

Dude, Gimme an Effing Break! What could possibly be more exciting than a camera following someone going round and round the pattern pounding out landings one after another? And without all the commentary you could focus on the sound of the engine droning on and on!!!

7 minutes and 7 seconds of your life you will never get back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9aECqTYBV8

Oh, I do like the show about the pawn shop in Vegas - people bring in all kinds of interesting stuff.

In this episode, a student intentionally stalls an airplane <DUN-DUN-DUN>. Later another student goes for his first solo...will he make it? As he takes off, they "discover" that they didn't file a flight-plan for his three trips around the pattern.

Sigh - Even those of us in GA don't know what GA is. It's anything that isn't scheduled airlines or military.

Era is mostly GA. (They do have some scheduled airline service.)
Bizjets are GA. (I love how someone recently said that Teterboro isn't "GA friendly" - Teterboro is *all GA*!)
Charters are GA.
Air ambulance is GA.
Crop dusting - GA.
Banner towing - GA.
Air sampling - GA.
Wildlife counting - GA.
Pipeline/power line patrol - GA.
Firebombing - GA.
Heavy lift choppers - GA.
Aerial mapping - GA
Dropping skydivers, aerial photography, yadda yadda yadda - It's all GA.

Note that every example above is "commercial" but it's still GA.

If someone did have a "reality show" of GA and they stuck strictly to keeping it technically correct it would die in the ratings after one show.

I'm certainly not complaining about what they cover on the show!

Last edited:
:rofl:

No prob - You're not the only one. I think what Phil Boyer said in One Six Right was right on! Nobody knows what the hell GA is. :crazy:

Ahh, now THAT's a documentary that should be on TV - preferably in a perpetual loop.

I've given that DVD to my mentor, my PP CFI and my AI CFII, because all three have a deep love of flying. I also bought the soundtrack for some nice relaxation on my ipod.

I fell asleep during One Six Right. It should have been named One Six Hours of Sleep.

I fell asleep during One Six Right. It should have been named One Six Hours of Sleep.

I was really psyched to see a movie about GA, so I went to the pre-screening at Centennial, KAPA, when it first came out. I guess I was expecting more. The photography was good, but I didn't think it was that great of a movie either. I was all set to buy it on DVD until I actually watched it. :rolleyes2:

I was really psyched to see a movie about GA, so I went to the pre-screening at Centennial, KAPA, when it first came out. I guess I was expecting more. The photography was good, but I didn't think it was that great of a movie either. I was all set to buy it on DVD until I actually watched it. :rolleyes2:

Hey, I liked it - Even though it's about VNY, it's also about GA, has lots of history - Marilyn Monroe, Ronald Reagan, Sinatra - Lotta famous folks have been in and out of that little airport, and the WWII stuff was interesting too.

There are some great shots, too - I love the one with the VK30.

It's not the best movie ever, but for GA movies, it probably is the best, currently. A Pilot's Story will be better. :yes:

I watch it over & over,even the DVD Extra's. I like Flying Alaska & Alaska Wing men. I watched Flyboys so many times the DVD won't play any more. What I despise are Drama's, crime/detective shows. Basically if the critic's like it , I avoid it. same goes for 90% of movies. I would rather listen to a college lecture series on PBS or the local college channel than watch House/CIS/ Office./Law & Order, ETC. Life provides enough "drama & suspense. I want to be pleasantly entertained, not shown horror & death, and be forced to think about"who dun it". Dave

I know two kids that learned in the family Otter. You can learn in any aircraft, it's just a matter of how long it takes.

Roger that. My Dad's 1st plane was an SNJ. Go figure! Most civies think of an SNJ as some cool warbird to dream about flying someday--that was my old man's 1st solo. :hairraise: And I think the C-172 is a handful . . . .

Yeah, but I'd do that in a heartbeat. Prospecting for gold in a beautiful part of the country beats sitting in an office IMO.

Yeah, but I bet it gets old--fast.

One of those guys looked like he'd been hitting the peace pipe and/or a fifth of Yukon Jack before the plane arrived. They supposedly had been out there prospecting for a couple months.

How much booze did they bring with them? Must've been most of their stash. That one guy looked like he'd been on a bender for a few weeks. And all for what--$4K of gold nuggets? After air travel and expenses I'd say it was a wash--or less. What a waste of time.

He could've warmed a bar stool anywhere else for less wear and tear. :rolleyes2:

I think they set the cliffhanger grand prize this time.

"Ariel and Ferno go for a lunchtime jog." (Scream!)
DUNT-duh-duh-DUNT!

I think they set the cliffhanger grand prize this time.

"Ariel and Ferno go for a lunchtime jog." (Scream!)
DUNT-duh-duh-DUNT!

Which was actually quite funny. We pulled a similar prank a while back.

Well, with school distracting me I missed everything after the 3rd episode on TV, but I bought it on iTunes... And now just for the hell of it I pulled up all their flights on FlightAware. Still lovin' the show.

This is a neat trick you can do with FlightAware that is really not obvious - You can show a fleet (all of the airplanes from Southwest, United, American, whoever - Even Era and Angel Flight) or you can show all aircraft of a particular type that are flying right now. For example, here's all the Beech 58 Barons in the air right now: http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/BE58

What's really crazy: There are 813 Boeing 737's of various flavors aloft right now - The two most numerous types in the sky right now are the 737-700 (312) and the 737-800 (284). But there are -200's through -900's all flying right now, and 14 that are just listed as "737". Even found an "oops" in there: Delta 9389 has been, and is, filing as "737" but it's actually a 747 according to a quick online search for tickets. Huh.

Last edited:
Back