Flying Wild Alaska

Well, with school distracting me I missed everything after the 3rd episode on TV, but I bought it on iTunes... And now just for the hell of it I pulled up all their flights on FlightAware. Still lovin' the show.

Aw dang it. A friend is holding all the episodes I haven't seen in his DVR for me, and they're available to buy on iTunes. A dilemma is forming. ;)

This is a neat trick you can do with FlightAware that is really not obvious - You can show a fleet (all of the airplanes from Southwest, United, American, whoever - Even Era and Angel Flight) or you can show all aircraft of a particular type that are flying right now. For example, here's all the Beech 58 Barons in the air right now: http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/BE58

All the ones that haven't opted out, you mean.

I keep wondering when the TSA will make all the carriers "opt-out" of public tracking services and kill things like FlightAware and all the "When does the flight arrive?" Apps, claiming they're all a security risk.

Does the FAA get any revenue from providing the location data stream? I could also see it getting a funding cut as it's not the FAA's core reason for existence. When did they get into the business of sharing their operational data anyway, if you really think about it...

On the other hand, I'd love to see the Federal Reserve Bank's operational tracking data and loans in near-real-time. ;)

I keep wondering when the TSA will make all the carriers "opt-out" of public tracking services and kill things like FlightAware and all the "When does the flight arrive?" Apps, claiming they're all a security risk.

They are already in the process of doing so. There was a comment period that ended 3/30, the decision will be out soon.

Does the FAA get any revenue from providing the location data stream?

Yes.

On the other hand, I'd love to see the Federal Reserve Bank's operational tracking data and loans in near-real-time.

For FAA to release the tracking data to third parties is the same breach of privacy as if you could just call up the state patrol to check whether your wifes car has been seen on the tollway to Atlantic city.

For FAA to release the tracking data to third parties is the same breach of privacy as if you could just call up the state patrol to check whether your wifes car has been seen on the tollway to Atlantic city.

So would they give you that information where you live? Not here. They might ask you a lot of questions to see if you're a stalker, especially if you don't have a good answer for "Why do you need to know?"

Saying, "Because I have a website tracking people's cars," would certainly turn some heads.

Even if you proved that you were family they'd only offer the information after you said it was an emergency and they ran you through NCIC to make sure you didn't have a restraining order.

And they definitely wouldn't set up computer systems to provide the data in near-real-time to anyone with cash to purchase it.

So would they give you that information where you live? Not here. They might ask you a lot of questions to see if you're a stalker, especially if you don't have a good answer for "Why do you need to know?"

Saying, "Because I have a website tracking people's cars," would certainly turn some heads.

Even if you proved that you were family they'd only offer the information after you said it was an emergency and they ran you through NCIC to make sure you didn't have a restraining order.

And they definitely wouldn't set up computer systems to provide the data in near-real-time to anyone with cash to purchase it.

That was sort of my point.

Would you kiss her after a dinner date and she had stink flipper and you didn't?

Not on the mouth, plenty of other places that come to mind.

When I heard that she is getting a communications degree in Socal it all started to make sense. She'll fit right in with the other airheads in that field.

Just got Season One on the iPad2. I love my new toy!

Yeah, you could watch "The Apprentice' or "Dancing with the Stars" or "The Real Housewives of Poughkeepsie."

WTF Here we go again, taking a dump on Poughkeepsie...cmon that's old already!!!!!:nono:

We have the best of the best around here...hey stop by and set a spell, we always love visitors to our fair valley.:D

WTF Here we go again, taking a dump on Poughkeepsie...cmon that's old already!!!!!:nono:

We have the best of the best around here...hey stop by and set a spell, we always love visitors to our fair valley.:D

Did you pick your feet in Poughkeepsie? :D

We should make it Pacoima? "Blow your a* clear to..."

Looks like a new season starts on Friday (Oct. 28)

Has Ariel Tweto got her private pilot certificate yet?

Those interested can check the FAA registration database to learn her status or check the contents of the spoiler below (based on what I found in the registration database is showing as of Oct. 26, 2011.)

ARIEL EVA TWETO

Address
Street PO BOX 207 City UNALAKLEET State AK County NOME Zip Code 99684-0207 Country USA

Medical
Medical Class: First Medical Date: 4/2011

Certificates
1 of 1

DOI: 4/7/2011 Certificate: STUDENT PILOT

Baffles me why she got a first class medical.

Those interested can check the FAA registration database to learn her status or check the contents of the spoiler below (based on what I found in the registration database is showing as of Oct. 26, 2011.)

ARIEL EVA TWETO

Jim, very cool how you did this. So....how did ya do it?

Because in her age group there is little difference in the extent of the exam for a third or a first. Some AMEs charge the same.

ARIEL EVA TWETO

Jim, very cool how you did this. So....how did ya do it?
To search the FAA pilot certificate database, go to the following FAA website and first enter your own name, address, etc. and then when the query entry page appears, enter the search criteria (e.g. I entered "tweto" for last name and "alaska" for the state to narrow things down; not sure I needed to.)

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/

No, no, I mean the little hidey thing in your post.

No, no, I mean the little hidey thing in your post.

Oh - turns out there is a "spoiler" tag that the vBulletin software understands. Say you wanted to summarize how a cliff hanger was resolved without spoiling it for those who hadn't seen the next episode yet; you'd type:
HTML:
[spoiler]It was all just a dream.[/spoiler]
And in order for me to get the system to not interpret those tags, I used the "html" tags.

I thought that was odd, too.

Hey, if you're young and can breeze through it, why not?

Based on her judgment and management skills I'd hate to think that they plan to let her fly charters.

She's majoring in media promotion. She can do that with less harm to humans.

I thought I posted about this, but I guess not in this thread.

Flying Wild Alaska was the ONLY reason I got in an airplane for a thrilling discovery flight in a $200,000 glass panel Tecnam Sierra - where over the Golden Gate Bridge we opened up the cockpit and I stuck my hand outside the plane.... I had not even been in a commercial plane for 5 years before that, no thoughts of becoming a pilot, not even close.

So it all started when I first saw this crazy show with a pilot in a chicken outfit (Pontz) told his passengers to get good grades in school. Turns out he's from CA and went to high school with my boyfriend. I think to myself "if this guy can fly, why can't I fly". I googled "how to become a pilot" and voila. I was hooked after my first flight. That was in January 2011.

And as they say, the rest is history.

Thanks for letting me know it airs again tomorrow. I will for sure tape it with my VCR (yes, I said VCR).

Kimberly

Oh - turns out there is a "spoiler" tag that the vBulletin software understands. Say you wanted to summarize how a cliff hanger was resolved without spoiling it for those who hadn't seen the next episode yet; you'd type:
HTML:
[spoiler]It was all just a dream.[/spoiler]
And in order for me to get the system to not interpret those tags, I used the "html" tags.

And of course, if you're reading on devices through the API, via Tapatalk for example, none of that works...

You just see all of the text. :)

I don't understand what that means.

I don't even think they sell VHS tapes anymore (I have an old one).

I guess they left the cable in my apartment "on" (only basic local channels plus the Discovery Channel for some reason). I had an old VCR which I've owned since I was 18 years old. I decided to use it as a tuner since I think now you need a box and cannot simply plug a co-ax into the back of your television (yes my TV is old too).

So, basically, I'm getting "free cable." I found a blank tape, then I can tape shows, watch them later, and fast forward through commercials.

Kimberly

Does anyone know when the next season starts ? Re-runs have popped up on the DVR so I suspect soon.

Back