Flying Wild Alaska

Anyone getting these saved?

*cough* You think with a 10.8TB media NAS I wouldn't allow some space for these?

//Just put a 2TB drive in the newest TiVo on top of that yesterday. What's sad is that 327 HD / 2297 SD hours is not teenuf.

The top story on "Indian Summer" was the return to the lady that lives all alone in the northern camp....As I mentioned she could have been dead and nobody would know. She survived a bear attack!

Well, my comment was about the "instructor", not Ariel. But yeah, editing makes the "reality" rather suspect.

How about, "I only need 39 and a half more hours to be a pilot!" I wanted to slap...

When she got distracted what she did do? It looked like helluva a bump. She must have slammed the yoke forward.

And I don't think the 180 belongs to Era Alaska. I think that is Jim Tweto's personal plane. It is registered in an LLC that isn't Era.

I think I counted three(?) companies. Era Alaska is Jim Tweto's charter(?) There's Hageland in Anchorage, too.

My question: Jim Tweto is "COO." That means there is a separate CEO and chairman?

Did you guys catch the comment about the 208 taking off with only 1/2 hour of fuel?
My wife looked at me incredulously.
I said no that's just the narration botching the actual issue.

How about, "I only need 39 and a half more hours to be a pilot!" I wanted to slap...

When she got distracted what she did do? It looked like helluva a bump. She must have slammed the yoke forward.

I think I counted three(?) companies. Era Alaska is Jim Tweto's charter(?) There's Hageland in Anchorage, too.

My question: Jim Tweto is "COO." That means there is a separate CEO and chairman?

His wife owns the company, she is native American, and they take the tax breaks. If he owned it, they would pay and pay and pay.

Last edited:
His wife owns the company, she is native American, and they take the tax breaks. If he owned it, they would pay and pay and pay.

Oooohhhhhhhh.....Tom knows everything! :thumbsup:

What's up with you apparently avoiding the southeast!???

You mean my map?

Well, I don't avoid the southeast... But look at where all the PoA fly-ins are. Not the southeast. ;) I also have family in TX, PA, etc.

One of these days I'll knock out some of those southeastern states. I do have an aunt and uncle in GA and another aunt and uncle in Florida... And, of course, there's Sun 'n' Fun which I've never been to.

But the best way to get me there is to start a PoA fly-in. ;)

Did you guys catch the comment about the 208 taking off with only 1/2 hour of fuel?
My wife looked at me incredulously.
I said no that's just the narration botching the actual issue.
I think what was said was they had a half hour beyond FAA mins. Basically enough to get there and diddle a couple of minutes while the fog clears without eating up the reserve. The ride back would be fun.

You mean my map?

Well, I don't avoid the southeast... But look at where all the PoA fly-ins are. Not the southeast. ;) I also have family in TX, PA, etc.

One of these days I'll knock out some of those southeastern states. I do have an aunt and uncle in GA and another aunt and uncle in Florida... And, of course, there's Sun 'n' Fun which I've never been to.

But the best way to get me there is to start a PoA fly-in. ;)
ah I see. I guess that explains why I can never make these fly ins! I've been looking at where y'all go and being in south florida I'm 3 hours from just getting into georgia so pretty much anywhere you guys go it's at least a 2 day trip each way for me.

AHH!! Maybe I'll be able to move in the future, I'm not a fan of the weather down here...

ah I see. I guess that explains why I can never make these fly ins! I've been looking at where y'all go and being in south florida I'm 3 hours from just getting into georgia so pretty much anywhere you guys go it's at least a 2 day trip each way for me.

AHH!! Maybe I'll be able to move in the future, I'm not a fan of the weather down here...

Well c'mon up to Wisconsin! The weather's fi... uh... never mind. But our football team rocks. :D

I think what was said was they had a half hour beyond FAA mins. Basically enough to get there and diddle a couple of minutes while the fog clears without eating up the reserve. The ride back would be fun.

I think that that is what they meant, but that is not what they said.

Well c'mon up to Wisconsin! The weather's fi... uh... never mind. But our football team rocks. :D
:D

Who knows, maybe I can go to Oshkosh this year... Highly unlikely but maybe I can magically get off work and make the trek.

Now, I would have to go commercially since there's no way I can spend 4 days off of work just commuting to and from osh, what's the closest place to fly in commercially, and how the heck would I go from there to osh??

I think that that is what they meant, but that is not what they said.

No, they did say something like "Just one half hour of EXTRA fuel" or something like that. They didn't say they took off with a half hour or I probably would have thrown in the towel and done something more productive.

:D

Who knows, maybe I can go to Oshkosh this year... Highly unlikely but maybe I can magically get off work and make the trek.

Now, I would have to go commercially since there's no way I can spend 4 days off of work just commuting to and from osh, what's the closest place to fly in commercially, and how the heck would I go from there to osh??

For a cheap flight, the place to go is MKE. The closest place to fly commercially is ATW, and that's one of the alternate airports when OSH fills up so there's easy transportation there by bus. There are buses from MKE too, but I don't know the exact details. Check the Airventure web site, they have a TON of great info. :yes:

For a cheap flight, the place to go is MKE. The closest place to fly commercially is ATW, and that's one of the alternate airports when OSH fills up so there's easy transportation there by bus. There are buses from MKE too, but I don't know the exact details. Check the Airventure web site, they have a TON of great info. :yes:
got it! It doesn't seem that unfeasible for me... I just need to somehow get an entire week off :D

No, they did say something like "Just one half hour of EXTRA fuel" or something like that. They didn't say they took off with a half hour or I probably would have thrown in the towel and done something more productive.

I'm pretty sure they 'said' that they took off with only a half hour of fuel. I remember when I heard it, I immediately rolled my eyes and told Rachel that they just made a screw-up and that they actually took off with a half hour of EXTRA fuel.

From her Facebook page
I want to work in the entertainment industry and just have fun.
Wow who would have guessed that:D

From her Facebook page
Wow who would have guessed that:D
I want to work in the entertainment industry and just have fun.

Look for the next Balloon Boy to launch from Alaska.

Hey! This time she could get lost in an icy Arctic sea! Can she see Russia from her house?

Last edited:
At about 36 minutes in, the narrator claims (incorrectly, of course)
Since the 208's payload is maxed out at 2600 pounds, Erin's forced to fly with the mandated minimum of fuel; just 30 minutes. This keeps her light enough to get airborne, but leaves little room for error.
Just listened to it again to be sure.

Don't you ?

attachment.php

I know nothinggg,, nnnnnnnothhhhinggggggg

Those Tweto folks aren't that close to you. Have you been talking about them in the hangar?

Attachments

• user-SgtSchultz19-150x150.jpg
    user-SgtSchultz19-150x150.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 328
attachment.php

I know nothinggg,, nnnnnnnothhhhinggggggg

Those Tweto folks aren't that close to you. Have you been talking about them in the hangar?

Google the 180's N Number see what you get.

I'm pretty sure they 'said' that they took off with only a half hour of fuel. I remember when I heard it, I immediately rolled my eyes and told Rachel that they just made a screw-up and that they actually took off with a half hour of EXTRA fuel.

Same thing I said to my wife because she could not believe it either.

The more I see of their operations/terminal the more I wonder: Where is the TSA and scanners? Are they considered a 121 or 135? Seems like they have both charters and scheduled services. Do different rules apply?

Things are different in Alaska.... and while there's screening in Anchorage, and I bet there's screening in Bethel, I'd guess there's alternate screening in some of their smaller locations.

Watching my first episode. A guy just used a pond to slow himself down to get into a short strip by dipping his wheels in the water prior to reaching the strip. :hairraise:
That's an oft used trick among many bush pilots in Alaska. Google "Big Rocks and Long Props" and check out their videos on youtube. Better yet, buy their DVD's. I have volumes 1&2 and they are awesome to watch! No contrived drama for an unknowing audience either, just great pilots doing some great flying in beautiful scenery!

Last edited:
So does anyone think Ariel will ever be a pilot? Or is it all in the editing.

Ariel was on Craig Ferguson the other night:

(Haven't actually seen it yet, but this prompted me to find it)

I'd never seen Craig... pretty good. And she's funny. "I can take off, and fly around... I'm working on my landing skills".

Back