What's For Dinner?

"Bonnie and Clyde Sirloin"

Steak and mushroom sirloin risotto. Wouldn't be complete without 2 -Sundance Kids ( a take on an Old Fashioned) topped off with a chocolate Martini for dessert.

Don't worry, the weather sucks tomorrow. I won't be flying. Got bee packages to pick up Sunday to prepare for.
Mmmm…

I sort of had that: did the steak and mushroom risotto 2 nights ago with a nice red wine. Finished the leftovers for lunch. Tonight was the strip steaks with Old Fashioneds.

"Bonnie and Clyde Sirloin"

Steak and mushroom sirloin risotto. Wouldn't be complete without 2 -Sundance Kids ( a take on an Old Fashioned) topped off with a chocolate Martini for dessert.

Don't worry, the weather sucks tomorrow. I won't be flying. Got bee packages to pick up Sunday to prepare for.
Forgot to add the lobster fries for an appetizer... Think poutine with lobster

With the way that family travel schedules worked out we’re doing Easter dinner tonight. HoneyBaked ham, some sort of cheesy potatoes, I’ll grill some asparagus with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic (Screaming hot grill, no more than a couple minutes. The asparagus will turn bright green with some charred spots. It’s done, a little crunchy, and really good.) Not sure what else we’ll have, but it will ge good.

7651497F-01B9-41C1-A309-BB0EC495D02B.jpeg
Pressure cooked then fried Beef tongue on homemade tortillas topped with onion, radish, cilantro, and seared hot pepper and avacado sauce.

View attachment 127270View attachment 127271
Weighs in at slightly more than five lbs, ensuring it is a “prime” rib. Prepped and ready. I’ll start it at 1:00 PDT which is a little early but need additional time for the 450/250 method.
"Slightly more than five" may be real but is not natural and therefore not prime. That is, unless you got it from Whole Foods (Amazon).

Chicken makhani, dal (from scratch), samosas, naan (from the Indian market) with a three-chutney assortment. Sliced mango for dessert.

Didn't think to take a single picture, but it was an exceptional meal. My wife and I have been working to learn traditional Indian cooking.

I decided that I wanted a cubano this weekend. Unfortunately I did not have the time, or private jet, to make it to Havana, so I did the next best thing. I smoked a couple butts and bought myself a plancha. Worth it. Now I can make all of the cubanos. I guess I could have at least snapped a shot of the plancha... sheesh, I'm bad at this.

Had to come up with something quick so I sliced up some mushrooms and sautéed them, then tossed in some chopped up red pepper to cook, then tossed in some chopped up ham to warm up, then poured in some eggs and cheese, scrambled it all and topped with a little parsley.

Loaded scrambled eggs. It looked and tasted pretty good.

So when standing rib roast went on sale before Easter, SWMBO wisely picked up two. She cooked one as a roast which we had as a family dinner, along with twice-baked potatoes and dutch apple pie (made like my mom used to!) thanks to @SkyChaser , on Saturday night.

The other roast, though, is far more than the two of us could use as a roast, so yesterday I attacked it with knives and yielded 8 nice ribeye steaks and a rack of ribs. I grilled one of the steaks and we split it for dinner tonight and it was fabulous. If you want ribeye steaks, carving your own from a rib roast is the way to do it. It was about 1/3 the cost per pound of individual steaks, and we have a few beef ribs for smoking as a bonus.

Had to come up with something quick so I sliced up some mushrooms and sautéed them, then tossed in some chopped up red pepper to cook, then tossed in some chopped up ham to warm up, then poured in some eggs and cheese, scrambled it all and topped with a little parsley.

Loaded scrambled eggs. It looked and tasted pretty good.

Yum!

Ever try Nero Wolfe style scrambled eggs? I've been meaning to, but haven't yet.

Leftovers ...

Back when SWMBO and I were dating,.....

It seemed that I would take her to some nice restaurant for dinner. She'd order a good steak or a piece of prime rib, usually the large portion, then eat about a third of it and take the rest home. I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but I began to see a pattern and eventually it dawned on me that I was merely buying groceries for her, and using pricey restaurants as grocery stores. So, the next time we had a dinner date following my epiphany, I just showed up at her door with several bags full of groceries and we dined in. :)

She married me anyway.

Grilled salmon smothered in mayo with grilled asparagus.

It seemed that I would take her to some nice restaurant for dinner. She'd order a good steak or a piece of prime rib, usually the large portion, then eat about a third of it and take the rest home. I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but I began to see a pattern and eventually it dawned on me that I was merely buying groceries for her, and using pricey restaurants as grocery stores. So, the next time we had a dinner date following my epiphany, I just showed up at her door with several bags full of groceries and we dined in. :)

She married me anyway.

Moons ago when dating a young lady her mom asked if I'd like to stay and have dinner with them. "Sure" I said. "Nice offer, thank you for the invite." Her mother looked at me rather wryly and said, "well if you don't eat it, I have to give it to the dog." :rofl:

Moons ago when dating a young lady her mom asked if I'd like to stay and have dinner with them. "Sure" I said. "Nice offer, thank you for the invite." Her mother looked at me rather wryly and said, "well if you don't eat it, I have to give it to the dog." :rofl:

At least she didn't serve it to you on his dish....

(Or did she?)

She married me anyway.
Sounds like you both passed each other's IQ tests... :)

Yum!

Ever try Nero Wolfe style scrambled eggs? I've been meaning to, but haven't yet.
Nero Wolfe? Never heard of her.

--

I had to look that up. 45 minutes? Not for me. I know they look really creamy, but I can get pretty close to that in a lot less time.

We usually keep a carton of half and half for coffee, and I'll use that when making scrambed eggs.

Usually, if I want to do loaded scrambled eggs like this I pop the pan in the oven and call it a frittata. But the consistency is a little different when it gets baked through vs being soft scrambled.

I tried this tonight. 3lb boneless skinless thighs soaked in 32 oz of this brine, 4 hrs. No rinse, straight onto the grill.

This is good stuff.

I’ll let the leftovers cool down, put them on a cookie sheet and into the freezer. When they are frozen, they go into a freezer bag as individually frozen chicken thighs.

IMG_6905.jpeg

This and the sugar will keep me away unfortunately.
I’m in my seat and ready to go. This contest adds a turkey category. Since not every team enters, not every judge gets a chance at it. This year I made the cut. First entry comes in in about 10 minutes. Then every 30 minutes until we’re finished.

There is a flank steak and some chicken thighs teriykinating right now. They will probably end up in the BBQ thread.

Hmm, I think I just invented a new word.

1700 mg Sodium. This is why I need a day or two, and lots of water, to recover after judging a contest.
Yep, that's above my daily limit. Most folks just take more BP meds though ...

Got through the contest just fine.

Right at 100 teams. This is a really good contest, every year. I think it’s been going on for 25-30 years. It’s far enough west of KC that teams that normally don’t travel that far east will attend this one. We had teams from quite a few states plus Canada. The local airport, 53K, is nearby and I drive right past the end of the rwy going to and from the contest park. Nobody flying today, about 40-50 mph direct xwinds were a little sporting.

Some of those teams were headed back up to Wyoming and Montana and were going right into some heavy weather.

KCBS has pretty specific rules for the “big 4”: chicken, pork ribs, pork butt, and brisket. Ancillary categories are pretty much “anything goes” as long as the meat in that category has a central role.

Today I sampled 6 turkey entries. 5 were boneless/skinless breast slices, maybe 3/16” thick, and heavily brined. One of them was a little chewy and one was a little bit dry. One had a slow burn heat to the seasoning that was really good. The other entry was sliders. A couple of thin slices of turkey, some sort of melted cheese, bacon, something like arugula, and a really good aioli. It was awesome, but hard to judge the turkey part of it fairly because I couldn’t really taste the turkey.

In the past I’ve seen turkey pinwheels rolled around stuffing and cranberry sauce. Since I was judging it this year I only saw what we got at our table so I don’t know what other teams did.

Edit: Burnt Trees BBQ from Minot, ND was Grand Champion today.

Edit-edit:

Perfect scores happen, maybe once per contest.

But today, hoo-boy, we had some good q.

Perfect scores today (97 teams):

Turkey 1
Chicken 3
Ribs 2
Pork 1
Brisket 3

That’s a great contest.

Last edited:
Watching a recording of the Modern Marvels BBQ Tech episode. Fortunately I'm watching it after supper so I'm not at that tempted to eat more food today...

The steak is Costco Top Sirloin. But whatever you grill, it's much, much better when you cook/eat it on the water! :)

1712777546515.png 1712777958892.png

Last edited:
My grandma's 88th birthday tonight and we're taking her to a Brew pub. Her idea. Fish and chips for me

A couple of weeks ago I carved up a rib roast to yield a nice pile of ribeye steaks plus a rack of ribs. I haven't tried cooking beef ribs before, so tonight I decided to give it a go. I wiped the ribs down with vinegar and then used SWMBO's special homemade steak seasoning as a rub. Lit some charcoal in the grill and set it up for smoking, using some hickory chips for smoke, with a pan of water under the grill. Once the coals were going and I had good smoke, I added the ribs and just let her rock. Swabbed on some Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce for the last half hour while Mrs. Fast readied some baked potatoes and corn on the cob.

1713048327609.png

Oh, man! Tender, smoky, great bark, downright heavenly. I won't say they were to die for; more like to kill for. SWMBO might actually fall in love with me again.

A couple of weeks ago I carved up a rib roast to yield a nice pile of ribeye steaks plus a rack of ribs. I haven't tried cooking beef ribs before, so tonight I decided to give it a go. I wiped the ribs down with vinegar and then used SWMBO's special homemade steak seasoning as a rub. Lit some charcoal in the grill and set it up for smoking, using some hickory chips for smoke, with a pan of water under the grill. Once the coals were going and I had good smoke, I added the ribs and just let her rock. Swabbed on some Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce for the last half hour while Mrs. Fast readied some baked potatoes and corn on the cob.

Oh, man! Tender, smoky, great bark, downright heavenly. I won't say they were to die for; more like to kill for. SWMBO might actually fall in love with me again.
That looks good. The secret is having beef ribs with enough meat on them to be worth it plus not overdoing it, which was my mistake at my first smoking attempt.

Back