Omission in MedExpress

Frtdg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Frtdg
A student is up for renewal for a first class medical. Currently working through their commercial license.

When they first filled out their first class medical in ‘19 they omitted a DUI in 2015 for driving while under influence of Marijuana. Their only traffic violation and criminal charge. Charge was reduced to a reckless, have police and toxicology reports, very high THC levels in blood work. They received their first class medical and never thought of it again with no repercussions from FAA.

Now as theyre filling out a new app on medxpress I am seeing the blatant omission. How should they approach this, they do not want to deal with HIMS, do a psych evaluation etc.

What are the chances this will be caught by the FAA since they already received a 1st class in the past?

Thanks for all the great information in these threads. The info is invaluable.

Lie again, and when discovered (eventually) ALL certificates will be revoked.
The class 4 felony means he's a 61.153(c) bust and can't hold an ATP for ten years.
"They do not want to deal with HIMS".....Well then, they can "take the bus".

He may just need the HIMS psychiatrist evaluation, but he certainly needs to prove six months of sobriety leading up to that eval, or the eval will NOT TURN OUT WELL.

Last edited:
Lie again, and when discovered (eventually) ALL certificates will be revoked.
The class 4 felony means he's a 61.153(c) bust and can't hold an ATP for ten years.
"They do not want to deal with HIMS".....Well then, they can "take the bus".

He may just need the HIMS psychiatrist evaluation, but he certainly needs to prove six months of sobriety leading up to that eval, or the eval will NOT TURN OUT WELL.
Thanks Doc.

When the student fills out the new application indicating this history and complies with FAA actions, will there be repercussions for omitting the history in the past?

Will licenses be revoked or penalties incurred?

One time omission, the pilot needs to present the "winning case" so that the medical officer HAS THE OPTION To ISSUE and WARN. If he doens't do that what option is left?

Two time omission: every medical officer has to agree to bypass pilot discipline.
Three time omission: google " 4 delta pilot indicted" or "27 pilots indicted" or "6000 pilots under investigation"
I believe as of now Chrisman has surrended all his certificates and retired, but I am not up to date on that proceeding.

FAA's view is that there is NO PLACE on a flight deck for a liar.

He needs to get to the HIMS psychiatrist before he mankes ANY applicationi. That requries a HIMS AME to put the file together and do the referral (The HIMS psychiatrists need the ENTIRE record, the AME version of the FAA medical record that has NEVER been through is custody. And they are booked about about 2 months.

It would appear your man going to get some "bus time". Better he gets it up front than after he has a career. The whole notion of "They do not want to deal with HIMS" is pretty sadly comical. FAA will deal it hard or deal it less hard depending on how he organizes this.

Well you can "not want" in one had and **** in the other and find out what one gets filled first. Your student is screwed.

A student is up for renewal for a first class medical. Currently working through their commercial license.

When they first filled out their first class medical in ‘19 they omitted a DUI in 2015 for driving while under influence of Marijuana. Their only traffic violation and criminal charge. Charge was reduced to a reckless, have police and toxicology reports, very high THC levels in blood work. They received their first class medical and never thought of it again with no repercussions from FAA.

Now as theyre filling out a new app on medxpress I am seeing the blatant omission. How should they approach this, they do not want to deal with HIMS, do a psych evaluation etc.

What are the chances this will be caught by the FAA since they already received a 1st class in the past?

Thanks for all the great information in these threads. The info is invaluable.
My Goodness.

”Charge was reduced to a reckless“

He pleaded guilty to reckless driving?
He didn’t get his driver‘s license suspended?
Doesn’t that need to get reported to FAA?

Even if one doesn’t disclose the reckless driving, how does the FAA miss that considering that everyone consents to a search of the driving records Database?

I’m confused.

Sounds to me like this guy needs a good lawer.

My Goodness.

”Charge was reduced to a reckless“

He pleaded guilty to reckless driving?
He didn’t get his driver‘s license suspended?
Doesn’t that need to get reported to FAA?
Don't know without looking at the record but most likely driver's license suspended. A suspension would also be reportable by the pilot under 61.15 if the events took place after a pilot certificate was issued. The post suggests the offense was 2015 and the first medical 2019.

Even if one doesn’t disclose the reckless driving, how does the FAA miss that considering that everyone consents to a search of the driving records Database?
Consent to a search doesn't automatically mean a search was conducted.

Don't know without looking at the record but most likely driver's license suspended. A suspension would also be reportable by the pilot under 61.15 if the events took place after a pilot certificate was issued. The post suggests the offense was 2015 and the first medical 2019.

Consent to a search doesn't automatically mean a search was conducted.

Yes, thanks for the timeline clarificatio, but…

the applicant still needed to disclose this history on the original medical application, No?

One time omission, the pilot needs to present the "winning case" so that the medical officer HAS THE OPTION To ISSUE and WARN. If he doens't do that what option is left?

Two time omission: every medical officer has to agree to bypass pilot discipline.
Three time omission: google " 4 delta pilot indicted" or "27 pilots indicted" or "6000 pilots under investigation"
I believe as of now Chrisman has surrended all his certificates and retired, but I am not up to date on that proceeding.

FAA's view is that there is NO PLACE on a flight deck for a liar.

He needs to get to the HIMS psychiatrist before he mankes ANY applicationi. That requries a HIMS AME to put the file together and do the referral (The HIMS psychiatrists need the ENTIRE record, the AME version of the FAA medical record that has NEVER been through is custody. And they are booked about about 2 months.

It would appear your man going to get some "bus time". Better he gets it up front than after he has a career. The whole notion of "They do not want to deal with HIMS" is pretty sadly comical. FAA will deal it hard or deal it less hard depending on how he organizes this.
would this automatically be an SI or would it be dependent on the AME? I understand now that SI’s stay on the medical for the entirety of the pilots career. Thanks !

would this automatically be an SI or would it be dependent on the AME? I understand now that SI’s stay on the medical for the entirety of the pilots career. Thanks !

The AME always can punt to Joklahoma city, but anything he ISSUES has to follow the rules. There's a very limited situation where an AME CAN issue a medical after DUI-related history. He doesn't have discretion beyond that.

Your last statement is inaccurate. First off, not all deferrals result in a special issuance. Sometimes, on review, the pilot is determined to meet the requirements for the medical. While the FAA retains a HISTORY of everything, SIs are not always forever. Many will time out after the pilot maintains the special issuance conditions for a certain number of years. In my case, my AME was able to convince them that I never actually had the condition the SI was for (the wording "this is a ******** diagnosis" appeared on his report to the FAA). I got a begrudging letter with a unrestricted medical warning me that if I ever did get that condition (no more likely in my situation than in the population at large) to be sure to stop flying and let them know.

Back