Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
brendon7358
Price breakdown

Aspen Evolution E5 (Dual screens) $5,895
Dual G5 $6,440
Dual GI 275 $7,989

None of those include install but I would assume install is a similar cost for them all.

Upgrading a IFR certified 6 pack cherokee 140, no autopilot. Has a 430W we will be keeping regardless.

Thoughts? Prose and cons of each?

Is an owner install allowed on these? This is my first airplane so not 100% sure on what is allowed and what is not.

First question, can you see yourself adding an autopilot in the future?

If for example you like the GFC 500, then you need the G5.

You’ll need an IFR certification and logbook signature, so no you can’t install it.

First question, can you see yourself adding an autopilot in the future?

If for example you like the GFC 500, then you need the G5.

You’ll need an IFR certification and logbook signature, so no you can’t install it.
No probably not. It's a 1964 PA28-140 it wouldn't really be worth it to install autopilot. The electronic gauges are really just to make IFR flying safer/easier.

I think all three will do the job just fine. This may not matter to you, but the only operational qualm I have with Aspen is, they have not adopted the “pink needle/green needle” motif. It’s easy enough to look at the bottom of the screen and your GPS to confirm CDI source selection, but the pink/green motif adds a good visual. It also helps if you like adding bearing pointers to see different colors.

I just upgraded my old SR22 with a pair of GI-275s and a GTX-345.

I did a lot of training several years ago in a plane with G5s and I liked them, but the 275s are bigger, brighter, clearer and more capable. I sprung for the SynVis module and that's sorta cool....but mostly love being able to flip between pure HSI functionality and the moving map screen with wx and traffic, and adjustable range...and the integration with the GTX-345 for ADSB in makes that possible.

Those aspens have very limited capability before you pay for the unlocks. And you have to buy the unlock for each if you want them both to have the capability…..

but the only operational qualm I have with Aspen is, they have not adopted the “pink needle/green needle” motif.
You're not alone. I'd find that annoying too. Even the ancient Sandel SN3308 HSI's used a green/magenta(pink?) motif.

The G5s have excellent battery backup compared to the others - 4 hours each.

The GI275s beat the G5's in almost every catetgory - resolution, brightness, clarity and functionality. Not a fan of Aspens myself but some are. But between the two - I would not put the older tech G5's in if the price point is that close.

Your numbers are for the stock purchase. Installation of the HSI is much more. That GI-275 combo near me will sit you back $15-20k all considered. The Aspen will probably be much more competitive price wise.

I installed an Aspen 2000 combo on my plane and got most unlocks included with a summer special. The Aspen was my choice because of thr STEC 55x I already had and price. Had thr AP been different, I could definitely see the GI-275.

Honestly…in a pa28-140 I’d go the cheapest route. I’d install the dual G5’s. You won’t notice the difference between it and the higher priced garmin units if they are not side by side. It’s like 1080p vs 4k. I was at Best Buy with those side by side and still I could barely tell a difference and my profession is will visual displays (flight simulation).

Last year I went thought this, the same equipment you’re looking for my bonanza. I decided on the Dual G5’s flush mounted and I absolutely love it. I’ll upgrade my AP to the GFC 500 one day but for now I really really enjoy my dual G5’s. Would I like the other options better??? Not sure, maybe, but I don’t know any better and my set up suits me just fine. Mine are coupled to a Century III and it flies great and shoots the approaches just fine. What’s bizarre is mine was installed early 2023 and I was all in at around $8k installed. I bought my dual G5 kit and GAD13 for about 1300 less than what you’re showing so prices have gone up a good bit! Good luck in your decision, it won’t be a wrong one no matter what!

My only comment is IFR kinda blows without an autopilot. Even if you don’t install an autopilot now, you should plan on doing it some day. So, plan accordingly

The Aspen will probably be much more competitive price wise
While that MAY be true if there’s no AP involved, I found it not to be the case when I bid out my panel upgrade. Both the Aspen and the dual 275s were within a few hundred bucks - and the 275s are nicer, I think.

Price breakdown

Dual G5 $6,440
Dual GI 275 $7,989

None of those include install but I would assume install is a similar cost for them all.

Upgrading a IFR certified 6 pack cherokee 140, no autopilot. Has a 430W we will be keeping regardless.

Is an owner install allowed on these? This is my first airplane so not 100% sure on what is allowed and what is not.
Aircraft Spruce sells the basic Aspen and G5s over the counter. If you want the more advanced features of the Aspen or the GI275s you’ll need to go through a dealer.

I just went through this debate and chose the Aspen paired to a GNX375 and am elbows deep in the install. The Aspen had more bang for the buck in my calculations, I’ll never have an autopilot in a Piper Colt, and mounting the RSM for the Aspen seems easier than finding a spot in my fabric airplane for the magnetometer garmin uses.

Another consideration on the G5s, if you plan to join it with something the the GNX375 or GPS 125 you’ll need extra electronic boxes so they can talk to each other.

I just went through this same process and ended up deciding on the dual GI-275’s. My avionics guy did not recommend the aspen even though it does look to be very capable. The price difference was not that much for the 2 different Garmin products so I went with the newer units to future proof as much as I can. Also, with the dual GI-275’s, they can replace the entire 6 pack as primary instruments which will clean my panel up. I’m not ever going to do a Garmin autopilot because of the costs, but might do a trio unit if it ever becomes certified for my Beech Sierra. Here are the installed costs from my avionics guy:

1fb10aa9b7b0a80faa00f08f050abf30.jpg

I’m in Panama City, Florida so the prices may be different in your area. I imagine that any of the 3 options will be awesome in an old plane like yours or mine though. Good luck.

Price breakdown

Dual G5 $6,440
Dual GI 275 $7,989

Wow! I’ve been considering the same thing recently. Thanks for the thread.

Aspen has some super deals for Oshkosh, or at least did last year.

Back