Can an annual substitute for a pre-purchase inspection? If an annual is done before the due date do any maintenance issues need to be fixed?

An annual inspection determines if your airplane is airworthy enough to fly. A pre-buy determines if the airplane has any show-stopper issues, is up to your safety standards, and identifies any deferred maintenance you have have to do after purchase to bring it up to your standards. An aircraft can successfully navigate an annual inspection and perhaps not be worth purchasing because it is not up to your standards or will required too much additional costly maintenance to rectify deficiencies.

And somehow, both my pre-buy and the tacked-on annual missed that (1) the fuel guages weren't working, (2) the electric trim wasn't working, and (3) the pitot heat wasn't working. I caught all three issues during a pre-flight when I went to pick up the plane.

Trust no inspections in which you do not actively participate.

ALL Pre-buys seem to start with “ How much for a PB?”

When I say it depends on what you want looked and and what to ignore they

thinking I’m joking!

I’ve been in an equity club here in Austin for over 20 years. We operate 3 PA-28s. Two observations:

That list of discrepancies does not add up to $30,000, especially at such a low hourly rate.

two years ago, we bought a new to us Dakota. We use the Mike Busch prebuy service. I can‘t recommend this product enough.

We were 100% satisfied with our experience with Mike’s people.

highly recommended

That would mean it should be good now and the next annual should be pretty standard?
Naw usually a few more things still need to be replaced. It’s highly unlikely everything is done at once. Hard to find the parts needed, the time needed, etc.

I'm not sure why so many people think that a pre-buy is going to be this massive invasive inspection. you don't own the AC so as a seller I'm not going to allow some rando to start poking around anymore than a good preflight. if something goes wrong (say the pre-buy guy strips a screw, then wallers out the hole while drilling it out) i am the one that suffers the loss and takes the hit.

The Seller should insist on having one area that has been inspected closed

before another is opened.

I know of PBs that were underway and a show-stopper was found.

The Buyer told the Tech to halt and leave as he would not pay for more

time. Seller was left to reassemble.

I’ve been in an equity club here in Austin for over 20 years. We operate 3 PA-28s. Two observations:

That list of discrepancies does not add up to $30,000, especially at such a low hourly rate.

two years ago, we bought a new to us Dakota. We use the Mike Busch prebuy service. I can‘t recommend this product enough.

We were 100% satisfied with our experience with Mike’s people.

highly recommended
How does that work? It's $900 a year and they manage the pre-buy, does that mean I still need to pay for the pre-buy separately?

I'm not sure why so many people think that a pre-buy is going to be this massive invasive inspection. you don't own the AC so as a seller I'm not going to allow some rando to start poking around anymore than a good preflight. if something goes wrong (say the pre-buy guy strips a screw, then wallers out the hole while drilling it out) i am the one that suffers the loss and takes the hit.

I can understand the confusion aka really the unknown of new pilots to prebuy and annual inspections, really we have no idea but assume this word is magical.

I think a prebuy is a basic look at the elements, remove the seats and look at the control elements, check the engine, some moving parts, etc. They probably don’t test the autopilot, avionics etc. Not even sure if the radios are tested, plus remember this is in a hangar, not exposed to the elements, when you fly through rain or clouds it might cause your radios to be static or you might have a water leak somewhere who knows. I had mine in for a prebuy prior to purchasing and a whole list of issues, I think the mechanic was reasonable and his prices reasonable. Yet the seller thought he was expensive but I guess he hasn’t seen what my mechanic charges. A prebuy is an opportunity at a proper shop for them to sell you on some repairs and to start an annual if ordered but this is a crap shoot if the work or annual is ordered. Some plane owners want to defer maintenance and get by on the minimum, others want to do more. Some fix old things, some only fix it when it’s broken.

A pre-buy should cover inspecting know problem areas for that make/model.

Such as the gear saddle for SE Cessna retracts. Wing spars on Mooneys and Pipers

FWIW: At the Part 91 private aircraft levels, I've found a prebuy is only subjective to the involved buyer, seller, mechanic and broker if applicable. This thread provides a good example of a pre-buy's potential variances. And in most cases at this level, a pre-buy is not really enforceable unless some form of legal contract is involved, which in my experience usually doesn't happen at this level. Same goes with documenting the work performed during a pre-buy... usually doesn't happen even though its required by rule.

However, at the turbine corporate and larger levels, a pre-buy is more an objective business tool and in a number of cases, acts more like a short-term warranty for the buyer as hidden issues missed on these contractual type pre-buys can reach into some serious money.

Regardless, back at the private Part 91 level there still remains a second option when buying an aircraft at this end and that is to purchase an aircraft at a higher condition/cost level where pre-buys are commonly not even used or required as the aircraft are meticulously maintained. PoA has/had several members who buy at this level exclusively with no issues. Unfortunately, this small market niche is usually outside the budget of a majority of the Part 91 buyers and especially the 1st time buyers.

Last edited:
I always think of the difference between an annual and a prebuy asking two completely different questions:
Annual: Is this airworthy today?​
Pre-Buy: Is this a good deal?​

Can they be combined? Sure, if (and it can be a big if) you can get both questions answered at the same time by a mechanic of the buyer's choice who is independent of the seller.

Back