Henning gone west

His old avatar photo-take from "aboove"-showed a little girl (would be at least a teen by now, possibly an adult) in the car with him. Was that his daughter? Doers anyone here know about her, and feel comfortable sharing?
He had an exwife, lived in North Texas at one point-is that correct?

Last edited:
His old avatar photo-take from "aboove"-showed a little girl (would be at least a teen by now, possibly an adult) in the car with him. Was that his daughter? Doers anyone here know about her, and feel comfortable sharing?
He had an exwife, lived in North Texas at one point-is that correct?

Answered elsewhere by Any. It was his cousin’s daughter.

@Anymouse this post isn't what I had recalled of Henning originally telling, but I don't think is on your list. "Flew a Travel Air with no de-ice and multiple inches of ice on the wing touching down at 170 KTS" (title it better than that):

The way I recalled the story was he talked about multiple inches of ice building on top of the wing (which is not how ice builds while flying, for those unfamiliar) and that tower had to tell him when he was over the numbers. However, this post shows 2005, which is before I joined (I was sometime in the fall of 2007 when I started flying lessons), and I probably heard it from other PoAers who may have embellished it.

Henning had many demons running around inside his head, something for which I don't think he ever received any sort of help.

His last FB post on Jan 21 reads rather unhinged. A 'flight of ideas' dark mashup of hydrogen, world religions and free will. Everything leading up to that is standard Henning fare.
I hope this is the end of what was torturing him. RiP

Has anyone actually confirmed that he passed, seen an obituary or talked with his family? This is a pretty long thread based only on another post from another forum. With his tendency to lie or exaggerate are we sure he actually passed?

Has anyone actually confirmed that he passed, seen an obituary or talked with his family? This is a pretty long thread based only on another post from another forum. With his tendency to lie or exaggerate are we sure he actually passed?

Yes. Numerous folks have confirmed from outside sources - many are noted in this thread

Often with someone dying without family, there will not be an obituary.

In addition, the guy who owned the boat next to his at the marina posted on FB, too.

As mentioned elsewhere, faking his death would be on brand for Henning. However if you dig into it, he's had some suicidal sounding posts prior to his final Facebook post in other areas he'd posted. Of course, if he faked his death, that would be part of how he would plan to make it look legitimate - sounds a lot like the events leading to his 310 gear up.

Best proof would be if someone had an in to find a death certificate, which would be present if a body was found. I don't think people generally would want to post that they found the body online, but that seems like it may have been what happened. Elmore was, I think in Washington? Could potentially be tracked down.

I haven't seen anyone reference knowing or having spoken with someone who could be a next of kin.

I believe he was in the Seattle area. If he owned property, with or without a will it will have to be disposed of through probate, so a death notice will be published in a newspaper somewhere at some point as a notice to creditors.

I believe he was in the Seattle area. If he owned property, with or without a will it will have to be disposed of through probate, so a death notice will be published in a newspaper somewhere at some point as a notice to creditors.

If someone does a debts and demands. He lived in Olympia.

A post indicated that the boat would likely be auctioned to pay debts owed to the harbor.

Isn't it true that his death was a suicide? It's hard to fake that one.

I believe Henning was living on Bainbridge Island. At least he was last I spoke with him about a year ago.

I noticed the FB post said his boat was “on the hard” at Port Townsend. That’s where Any said he was - on his boat.

Dang, this is some sucky news I didn't expect to read today. He was an interesting cat, that's for sure.

Like Ive said,I’ve met many a PoAer in my early years, but not Henning. My life may be a bit poorer be cause of it

@Bill I was surprised by your comment and had to check my archives on that. All I've got is a terrible picture into the setting sun of Bob Gerace's and Henning's heads flying us in the 310 back to LZU after a Raleigh BBQ meetup. It was dated Feb 23, 2007! There was another red board member in the back seat too. Can't remember his name, but he was a doctor from TX who flew a Bonanza V-tail I believe (ya, what a cliche, I know). I managed to find the thread on that (https://pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/henning-at-raleigh-durham-all-rdu-ers.12262/)

I think the first RDU BBQ meet you made it to was later in the year: https://pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/bbq-at-rdu-the-real-thread.17105/

Dang, it seems like ages ago. So many people in those threads who have just drifted off, myself included.

@denverpilot Nate, good to see you here, too. How's it hangin' ?

Dang, it seems like ages ago. So many people in those threads who have just drifted off, myself included.
Yeah. Once in a while I come across those threads and reminisce on the earlier years. The tone of the board was a bit different. I do wonder where some of them are at today. Thanks for digging those threads up.

Yeah. Once in a while I come across those threads and reminisce on the earlier years. The tone of the board was a bit different. I do wonder where some of them are at today. Thanks for digging those threads up.
Better or worse?

I do dearly miss some of the members that have moved on.

Sorry to hear about Henning meeting his honored ancestors. Could be he whacked himself, mental health can be really hard on those who live alone, isn't easy for those who don't. Could be he passed away from very natural causes. Folks get tumors, aneurisms, all manner of things. Anyone can die at any time.

I don't think I ever caught up to him, though he was described as very knowledgeable by some folks I respect.

My continued penury forced me out of the game, that's why I haven't been around. Good luck to you all, keep the shiny side up.

Yup....I went to a couple of those RDU BBQ meet ups years ago....and I can only remember a few of those pictured.

Henning was cowboypilot. Discuss . . .
Na, when cowboy was called on his **** he disappeared. Henning would have doubled down. Gary Shelby and I had dinner with Henning here in Philly. Let’s Say it was an experience that I’m happy my wife did not attend. The family with the young kids in the next booth could not get out of there fast enough. The best Henning story and one that Anymouse did not include was when he flew a corpse at night in a Cessna. Either a 172 or 182. I laughed so hard I cried. Not sure if that was on POA or over on the old Red ( AOPA) board but it was one of the funniest things I’ve read on either. No idea how he flew west but I’m sure those that knew him and read his posts will keep him a live in their memories, I mean how could anyone forget.

Na, when cowboy was called on his **** he disappeared. Henning would have doubled down. Gary Shelby and I had dinner with Henning here in Philly. Let’s Say it was an experience that I’m happy my wife did not attend. The family with the young kids in the next booth could not get out of there fast enough. The best Henning story and one that Anymouse did not include was when he flew a corpse at night in a Cessna. Either a 172 or 182. I laughed so hard I cried. Not sure if that was on POA or over on the old Red ( AOPA) board but it was one of the funniest things I’ve read on either. No idea how he flew west but I’m sure those that knew him and read his posts will keep him a live in their memories, I mean how could anyone forget.

I don't think Henning was cowboy pilot. Once some years back Dave Siciliano joined some of us for a PoA dinner and he was fairly certain he ended up running into the real cowboy pilot. Summary was he was at the bank, someone saw one of Dave's pilot related things he was wearing or had, started going into these stories that were the same as cowboy pilot. When Dave asked the guy if he was cowboy pilot from the forums, the guy quickly left. It wasn't Henning.

And 100% accurate, Henning would double down.

Re: Henning and CowboyPilot...

I was there for at least one of these! I met Henning a few times over the years. Interesting guy with real bonafides.

Dang, this is some sucky news I didn't expect to read today. He was an interesting cat, that's for sure.

@Bill I was surprised by your comment and had to check my archives on that. All I've got is a terrible picture into the setting sun of Bob Gerace's and Henning's heads flying us in the 310 back to LZU after a Raleigh BBQ meetup. It was dated Feb 23, 2007! There was another red board member in the back seat too. Can't remember his name, but he was a doctor from TX who flew a Bonanza V-tail I believe (ya, what a cliche, I know). I managed to find the thread on that (https://pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/henning-at-raleigh-durham-all-rdu-ers.12262/)

I think the first RDU BBQ meet you made it to was later in the year: https://pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/bbq-at-rdu-the-real-thread.17105/

@denverpilot Nate, good to see you here, too. How's it hangin' ?

Hello POA,

I am not a pilot, but I stumbled upon Henning on Reddit some months ago and found him to be such an interesting/sometimes disturbing character that I ended up following him around for a bit.

He mentioned sometime last Fall that he was looking to "be gone" (or similar verbiage) by Halloween, 2023. Looks like he held on a few months longer.

I realized this morning that he hadn't posted in a month or so, so I took to Google to find answers and sure enough, found his obit and other Facebook posts.

Being a new account, I can't post links. But his username on Reddit was "Wise_Investment_9089". reddit/u/wise_investment_9089 should get you there.

Not sure if this is meaningful or helpful to anybody but he was interesting enough to fascinate me for a while. His posts/comments on Reddit are definitely indicative of his mental state.

My condolences to anyone who knew him personally.

Hello POA,

I am not a pilot, but I stumbled upon Henning on Reddit some months ago and found him to be such an interesting/sometimes disturbing character that I ended up following him around for a bit.

He mentioned sometime last Fall that he was looking to "be gone" (or similar verbiage) by Halloween, 2023. Looks like he held on a few months longer.

I realized this morning that he hadn't posted in a month or so, so I took to Google to find answers and sure enough, found his obit and other Facebook posts.

Being a new account, I can't post links. But his username on Reddit was "Wise_Investment_9089". reddit/u/wise_investment_9089 should get you there.

Not sure if this is meaningful or helpful to anybody but he was interesting enough to fascinate me for a while. His posts/comments on Reddit are definitely indicative of his mental state.

If you can DM me the obit, I'll post it. I don't think anyone here has seen it yet and google didn't reveal it to me.

Hello POA,

His Facebook page has a large gallery of photos.

1709053157672.jpeg

Last edited:
If you can DM me the obit, I'll post it. I don't think anyone here has seen it yet and google didn't reveal it to me.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I haven't found an official obit; was referencing the various posts on Facebook announcing his passing in the groups of which he was a member.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I haven't found an official obit; was referencing the various posts on Facebook announcing his passing in the groups of which he was a member.
That's unfortunate, because based on past Henning events no one is really certain that he is dead. Hence the interest in an actual obituary.

That's unfortunate, because based on past Henning events no one is really certain that he is dead. Hence the interest in an actual obituary.
I knew two people who did not want obits, and so none were published. So lack of one does not necessarily mean Henning is alive. Maybe there's such a thing as death notices in his home state or city.

I knew two people who did not want obits, and so none were published. So lack of one does not necessarily mean Henning is alive. Maybe there's such a thing as death notices in his home state or city.
A local funeral home might have a notice, even if there isn’t a funeral service.

Well, if he's not dead and still Henning, he'll pop up somewhere.

I was there for at least one of these! I met Henning a few times over the years. Interesting guy with real bonafides.

And you still look like the same smart fuzzy doggie with those glasses!

Well, if he's not dead and still Henning, he'll pop up somewhere.

Unless he pulls a D.B. Cooper. Or maybe he is ol' DB. That wouldn't surprise me either. :devil:

Back