This flying seems awfully expensive...

Please start a thread with instructions on how to do this.
Rental property. Not a panacea but it helps. Here are some rough numbers: rent a place on the water next to an airstrip. Roughly $10k a year spent flying, half of which is to the property to collect rent, maintenance etc. At 40% combined federal and state tax, that’s $2000 in real dollars saved, so that $10k a year became $8k.

Good move. If only I'd bought a boat years ago, I might have some good family memories today. Oh well; too late for me.
I spent several weekends of my childhood aboard a few boats. Seemed like there were other good memories that were more cost-effective. Perhaps the boat owner had a different perspective. Or maybe the good memories were more biased towards the boat owner.

Or did you mean that a boat is a good cure for age-related memory loss? :)

Boating season is a little shorter up that way, lol. Well, unless you're into extreme weather fishing.
When I had a sail boat, the common knowledge was that Canadians sailed their boats more often than FL residents.

In FL, you say, let's go sailing. Response, but I have XX, we'll go tomorrow. Repeat.

Canadians put their boat in the water as soon as there is enough water that is not frozen and take it out when the water freezes and are sailing EVERY day they can get to the boat, even if just for an hour or two in the evening.

When I had a sail boat, the common knowledge was that Canadians sailed their boats more often than FL residents.

In FL, you say, let's go sailing. Response, but I have XX, we'll go tomorrow. Repeat.

Canadians put their boat in the water as soon as there is enough water that is not frozen and take it out when the water freezes and are sailing EVERY day they can get to the boat, even if just for an hour or two in the evening.
I could see that. Lots of outdoor entertainment in Florida to be had year round. Boating isn't quite high on the "urgency" list when boating season is "all day every day" lol. I'm as guilty as anyone about not using the boat/jet ski often enough. We're lucky if we get the boat out 3-4 times per year. I haven't taken the jet ski out in 2 or 3 years. Lots of other priorities, in addition to a FIL with a two lakefront properties that already have docks and boat/jet skis to use.

I have my lakefront house up for sale very cheap - downside is, it's in the middle of the frozen tundra north of the border lol.
Where Chris? Will you post a pic here? I'd enjoy living vicariously.
If all of our actions were guided by financial prudence, we would never anything but go to work. Play to the extent you're able; it's going to be over soon.
Agree. Also agree that almost by definition, if we can afford to fly, we're blessed with some skills which would benefit others. As a merit badge counselor, coach, tutor, or what have you. "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall much be required; and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more."
At some point, everyone should think a bit about why we're here. YMMV

When I had a boat in Atlanta, it was in the water, we used it all year, never winterized, probably used it half or more weekends of the year. I'm likely going dry storage this time. That means winterizing and no use Dec-Mar. Not sure I'm going to like it.

Thanks Chris, looks lovely. Made this man who's never owned a vacation place, smile.

I read Farley Mowat books as a kid. Was an adult before I actually witnessed cottonwood "dander" thick as snow.

Closest Canadian lake pic I have is from the Alberta province in summertime lol. Fantastic weather, giant mosquitos.
bd93f593fb0334483c3d09d61eb4a067.jpg

Last edited:
It wouldn't be a truly Canadian experience without the mosquitos (or biting flies).
Well, on other trips I also got to experience my first (35)degree weather where I didn't have to worry about which temperature scale it was being reported in, lol. Also saw the atmospheric phenomenon known as "light pillars" as well. Canada has all sorts of attractions!

Last edited:
Since you've probably experienced both, I'm curious as to how the Canadian mosquitoes compare with the Florida varieties, like this juvenile Suwannee River skeeter.

View attachment 125560

I only have been to FL in the winter and mostly up north in the panhandle. I didn't encounter any mosquitoes at all there. In Saskatchewan, right on the lake where our cottage is, mosquitoes are REALLY bad, especially at night. Some nights, I walked the dog and was just swarmed with those suckers. Open the door for like a second to get in and you have dozens of them in the house. During the day, since it gets really hot in that part of Canada, the mosquitoes aren't bad. But, we have flies that bite in that area during the day, lots of them. They bite whole chunks out of you. No insect repellant repels them. Almost the opposite is the case, you spray yourself with it and they think "game on" and go for it even harder.

NC has serious mosquitoes. I'll get a dozen bites in 10 minutes. Last summer, to my children's horror, I bought a mosquitoe suit. I look extremely silly, but I'm not ravaged, and without spraying myself with chemicals.

This flying thing doesn't have to be expensive. If you want to hang glide or paraglide, it's very reasonable. It's having to maintain a 40 plus year old complex mechanical devise that uses a large amount of expensive fuel and expensive storage that gets.. expensive.

This flying thing doesn't have to be expensive. If you want to hang glide or paraglide, it's very reasonable. It's having to maintain a 40 plus year old complex mechanical devise that uses a large amount of expensive fuel and expensive storage that gets.. expensive.

Some fly for the joy of flying. Some fly for the joy of traveling. I'm in the latter camp. A hang glider or para glider won't take me and my family to the places our Comanche does. I get close to zero joy out of taking off from and landing on the same airport unless it's for training purposes.

Some fly for the joy of flying. Some fly for the joy of traveling. I'm in the latter camp. A hang glider or para glider won't take me and my family to the places our Comanche does. I get close to zero joy out of taking off from and landing on the same airport unless it's for training purposes.

In your case, what is more expensive, the airplane or what you do when you get to your destination?

NC has serious mosquitoes. I'll get a dozen bites in 10 minutes. Last summer, to my children's horror, I bought a mosquitoe suit. I look extremely silly, but I'm not ravaged, and without spraying myself with chemicals.

your children's reaction is just a bonus.... right?

My wife has discovered an extremely effective mosquito deterrent. She simply stands next to me. The vicious bloodsuckers will eat me alive while not bothering her at all.

Go figure.

your children's reaction is just a bonus.... right?
Completely justified. I just don't care anymore :)

Edit: I sometimes myself feel awkward. But most everyone I encounter knows me and my situation.

Somebody with better skills than me at operating the AI-generated image sites should create some "mosquitos with N-numbers" pics.

Back to that boating thing for a second. Both I and my wife grew up around boats. I grew up around airplanes as well,my wife did not.

Most children take to watercraft quite willingly, so there's no reason not to start them young.
LindaAndStephOnWaverunner.jpg
At first, all they can do is ride in the boat.
StephAndAlleeInChaparralSmall.jpg
After a few years, they're ready to ride on an inflatable. I will warn you that they will want to stay our all day, but they can't do that, they'll get both sunburn and abrasions from the tube.
AlleeAndKatelynInTube.jpg
Somewhere around age 7, you can start them with a kneeboard.
KatelynKneeboarding.jpg
They're also still interested in riding in inflatables, but want a wilder ride.
StephAndAlleeSeatedTube.jpg
Moms can occasionally be persuaded to get on an inflatable as well. First rule of giving moms a ride is keep the inflatable within the wake, no wild teenager rides for them.
MomsTubing.JPG
Eventually, it's time to try wakeboarding or wakesurfing.
AllisonStartingToWakeboard.jpg
It's challenging at first,
AllisonFallingOnWakeboard.jpg
But very satisfying once they get it.
AllisonUp.jpg
And, everyone learns to drive the boat.
StephDrivingBoat.jpg

I remember a number of years ago I had a headhunter call about a job in Wisconsin. You know, that place where mosquitoes are so big they have N numbers stenciled on them. I ultimately said "no thanks" to the job offer. This just furthers me belief that I was right.

When the "tide" comes up in North Carolina, everything is ankle deep in water from the coast to Apex.
(stay away from the hog farms.)

It's dark so kind of hard to see. My youngest son took this picture to send to his two older siblings who no longer live at home as evidence that I've lost it. I fully admit I look goofy as hell, but, it works. My dog likes walks in the woods. From late July to mid October the mosquitoes swarm you.

1708478493460.png

Connecting mosquitoes and boating, the new (to me) boat is all but a done deal. In my previous boating, I always anchored a good distance from civilization where there were no mosquitoes. I'll be much closer to land where I'm headed. I will be totally bummed if mosquitoes are a problem. A quick search of the local lake FB page only has one reference to mosquito and it was a joke...whew!

Nice! The Regal line is a solid buy. Very good quality all around. Should be a great vessel for you. I love the Regal 35/42 Sport Coupe cruisers.

Flying has gotten too expensive for my budget as well. If my plane gets to the point of needing a pricey repair I will likely bow out all together. I still enjoy it but the cost has surpassed my joy. The only real travel I care to do is the occasional trip to the coast for the day or to flyins around the state. I was looking for a plane that might be more conducive to boring holes in the sky on an afternoon to reinvigorate the passion but the prices have gotten out of hand for the quality of plane. I also wanted to build something to call my own but kit and material prices are out of touch not to mention engines and such. I enjoy many hobbies as well so my budget is further divided. Add in the price of living increases, raises that barely keep up with rising expenses, and money set aside for other life purchases.

Flying has gotten too expensive for my budget as well. If my plane gets to the point of needing a pricey repair I will likely bow out all together. I still enjoy it but the cost has surpassed my joy. The only real travel I care to do is the occasional trip to the coast for the day or to flyins around the state. I was looking for a plane that might be more conducive to boring holes in the sky on an afternoon to reinvigorate the passion but the prices have gotten out of hand for the quality of plane. I also wanted to build something to call my own but kit and material prices are out of touch not to mention engines and such. I enjoy many hobbies as well so my budget is further divided. Add in the price of living increases, raises that barely keep up with rising expenses, and money set aside for other life purchases.
Light Sport, older simple tailwheel, or experimental.

Back