Borescope Advice

Replace the rotocoils at 500-600 hrs....yes, but lapping them for that picture? Nope.

Like I said, TIL :)

Was therapeutic anyway and cost peanuts.
I have lots of TIL moments..... o_O

So, now you know what a leaky guide looks like.....but, also the valve face looks nice and concentric, or round, and that's an indication of "even" heating/cooling. If the colors were not evenly distributed around the valve face I'd be concerned...that's an indication of heat concentration due to the valve not turning and transferring heat to the valve seat (the reason for having working rotocoils). The other thing....you didn't mention is the compression numbers....I'd bet the values for that cylinder weren't bad....probably high 60's to low 70's.

Last edited:
I’ve got the VA-980-A. Purchased it in Dec of 2021. It connects to my Apple cellphone, or iPad via a small in-line wifi box. Also using a rechargeable battery pack ($20 Amazon) which is about the size of a cellphone. This allows the convenience of being able to scope in remote locations where there’s no AC power. Don’t know the resolution numbers, or how the picture quality compares to others but I’ve been completely satisfied with the images. Price was under $400 for everything.

Back