[NA] Who's enjoying this "arctic blast"?

Glad to say that after being snowed in for 2+ days, our new-to-us Toyota Tundra managed to claw its way up our driveway in 4WD with street tires.

53470356715_87a62156ee_c.jpg

53470255144_e6b28d58d1_z.jpg

Nowhere we have to go right now - the local backroads are still pretty slick - but nice to have the option, even at these temps!

53470087608_5cbabc12fd_z.jpg

Have you put skis on the plane yet?

It ain't cold until your eyelids freeze together every time you blink.

(I wore ski googles when it got that cold)

If it's cold enough to hurt the palm trees, I ain't interested.

You know, I'm curious... do Floridiot drivers speed up or slow down in the cold?

On one hand, I think, they're too busy shivering to keep consistent hammer-down on their gypsy assortment of Nissan Sentras, Kia Rios, and worse contraptions that they joust one another with on the highways.

On the other hand, those mighty 1.3L engines probably need heavy throttle inputs to keep the precious heater running at all, thus encouraging MORE of their nonsense.

Please help solve this for science for me. :)

-5f in Wisconsin this morning. Went out to snowshoe and shoot some video, but the gimbal on the drone froze! :D

Still, snowshoeing at sunrise in a winter wonderland was very fun!

You know, I'm curious... do Floridiot drivers speed up or slow down in the cold?

On one hand, I think, they're too busy shivering to keep consistent hammer-down on their gypsy assortment of Nissan Sentras, Kia Rios, and worse contraptions that they joust one another with on the highways.

On the other hand, those mighty 1.3L engines probably need heavy throttle inputs to keep the precious heater running at all, thus encouraging MORE of their nonsense.

Please help solve this for science for me. :)

No need for a 1.3L; I find 0.675L to be sufficient.

I speed up when it's cold. When it's warm, I speed up. I speed up in time of war, and I speed up in time of peace. I speed up before I speed up, and then I speed up some more.

1705512656562.png

And I'd go even faster if the damnyankees would get out of my way.

So, your speed depends on your age.??

I think old people should drive faster, because they don't have much time left...
We have a phenomenon around here I call the "old man truck". Retired guys will buy a small pickup, like a Colorado or Ranger, and just drive around through the country at 30mph to "see what the neighbors are doing". Not stop and visit.... just watch.

I pray I have more to do at that age, and am in more of a hurry to do it.

We have a phenomenon around here I call the "old man truck".

When I was a teenage driver (in the 70s) we had old men in '40s era pickups driving 30 mph.

Of course 30 years later when I had a '47 Chevy pickup, I found out why they drove slow...

I’m hating my Rio de Janeiro layover
I am actually ready to go home. Had an unexpected 2 extra days here due to mx. 8 days on the road. I’m ready to see my 5 month old.

IMG_6102.jpeg

You're made of sterner stuff than I... my limit is 40°F.
Being a single-seater, the Fly Baby's cockpit is pretty draft-free. Just have to cover any bare skin due to the odd winds that waft through.

Rode in the front pit of a Stearman one fall, and thought I was going to freeze. LOT of wind coming vertically out of the cockpit opening. This is a shot I took during the flight, the pilot, Stan Brown, sure doesn't look comfortable.
1705520586239.png
Ron Wanttaja

Last Friday, my husband and I experienced a 95° temperature drop. It was 72° (rather cool, actually) in Hawaii when we left and -23° at home when we got there. It was brutal. Otherwise, I haven't minded it, but it's finally warmed up. I was actually kind of glad for the cold weather because we'd had a very unusually warm winter so far, which is not good for the forests or the farms.

Being a single-seater, the Fly Baby's cockpit is pretty draft-free. Just have to cover any bare skin due to the odd winds that waft through.

Rode in the front pit of a Stearman one fall, and thought I was going to freeze. LOT of wind coming vertically out of the cockpit opening. This is a shot I took during the flight, the pilot, Stan Brown, sure doesn't look comfortable.
View attachment 124475
Ron Wanttaja
Did you forget to coat your exposed skin with whale grease?

When I was a teenage driver (in the 70s) we had old men in '40s era pickups driving 30 mph.

Of course 30 years later when I had a '47 Chevy pickup, I found out why they drove slow...
In the early’80s, Mr Daub was in his 90s. He would drive his 1946 Chevy down Main St. in first gear, at idle. He’d see someone in his mirror and turn off onto a side street to get out of the way.

If you watched long enough, you’d see him turn back onto Main St. at the next intersection and continue to the cafe.

I hatred Florida people this week.

I hatred you so much.....

Hee hee hee.....

We are enjoying a fire in the fireplace this evening, if that makes you feel any better.
Hopefully it took some of the chill off. :)

Things are looking up here. With a low of 10 last night, we managed to stay out of the single digits!

Can't say I enjoyed it but it made me spend several hours on the computer and renew my CFI due by the end of February. Got my temporary certificate today, good for 2 more years.:) Had to turn the water off to my neighbor's house early this am because of water running out their garage, they moved out recently. I am sure the cause was frozen pipes.

Last week I don’t think we got above zero the whole week. Yesterday and today it was warming up a little; it hit 20 when the snow started again. About 4” so far of light fluffy stuff, but it’s still coming down. I shoveled it once and will have to do it again later on.

At this point I’m fine with it as long as they don’t close the airport and cancel flights. We leave early in the morning for Orlando, and on Saturday we leave for a week long cruise in the Bahamas. After the past couple weeks I think we’ve earned this.

What has 2 thumbs up and got to deal with a water well line break at midnight last night in 16F weather? This guy! Luckily this was not a water source for the home (although it was originally when it was built), but I just use it for outside irrigation. Apparently the well ran pretty much unabated yesterday and filled the 4' deep well house/pit which then overflowed into the backyard for hours. Discovered it around midnight, got it abated and pumped out by 2:30am. Best night ever! Also learned that my water well is powered off of two 110V legs (I knew it was 220V), but those 110V come from two separate circuit breakers. It's a wonder I didn't shock the crap out of myself when working with nothing but a flashlight. Water well gets to sit in disrepair until Spring time, lol.

Also learned that my water well is powered off of two 110V legs (I knew it was 220V), but those 110V come from two separate circuit breakers.

My well is powered the same way. Lose one breaker and water stops flowing, which happened one winter. I had to replace the one breaker.

I keep a electric heater in my well house that is set at the almost lowest heat setting. It will keep the interior at around 55 degrees on a very cold night. I also have a chair and light in there, in case I get locked out of the house.

My well is powered the same way. Lose one breaker and water stops flowing, which happened one winter. I had to replace the one breaker.

I keep a electric heater in my well house that is set at the almost lowest heat setting. It will keep the interior at around 55 degrees on a very cold night. I also have a chair and light in there, in case I get locked out of the house.
The odd thing is, I had one breaker shut off, but water was still flowing. I don't know how, but it was. Maybe it was running at half speed, lol.

The odd thing is, I had one breaker shut off, but water was still flowing. I don't know how, but it was. Maybe it was running at half speed, lol.
Hmmmm.... now ya got me wondering about if my well is connected correctly or not. :yesnod:

Hmmmm.... now ya got me wondering about if my well is connected correctly or not. :yesnod:
The even more annoying part is I had replaced the pressure switch this past spring with an upgraded Square D model which included a low-pressure cutoff if pressure dropped so low the it indicated a line break. Apparently that did not function as intended.

It'll work...for a little. Run a risk of burning up the pump if it's that way too long
That's pretty much what I figured. It'll work, until it gets hot. It wasn't running on 110V for more than an hour, so we'll see if that impacts anything. I also don't know how it hadn't drawn down the well to the point where it was cavitating.

The even more annoying part is I had replaced the pressure switch this past spring with an upgraded Square D model which included a low-pressure cutoff if pressure dropped so low the it indicated a line break. Apparently that did not function as intended.

1705698134998.png

I think its very cold this year ! hopefully it wont be bad weather for valentines day

The Tesla problem in Chicago is real. So cold, that you can't get enough heat in the batteries to get them to start taking a charge.
This is 100% the reason my electric car is not a Tesla. They are a fantastic software company but I highly doubt they took the cars to Lapland for some brutal winter testing like the other car makers do.

Still too cold to fly, but on the bright side it turned out there was (barely) enough snow for cross country skiing in the woods behind the house. :)

1705797870084.png

Delta Junction, Alaska doesn't seem quite as cold as Minot ND (some of the DoD cold weather testing has been done in Minot...)

yes, both places are freakin' cold

Back