Got a Jet Job...and Some Motivation for Others

Bonchie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bonchie
A little over a year ago, I was a 36-year-old pilot with 390 hours. I had gotten my commercial back in 2019 but hadn't done anything with it so I decided to get my CFI.

For several months, I think I gave only five hours of dual, but in March of 2022, I got my ME commercial with an eye toward doing something more. At the same time, through a series of fortunate events, I managed to get on with a really good school that also paid well. I started really teaching mostly full-time (not 9-5, but hours per week wise) in April of 2022, though I kept my other job to help support my family.

Things picked up from there, with me making friendships and getting to do some King Air flying. I built turbine time that would ultimately become invaluable on a resume. I got my CFII in December of 2022, though I've yet to really use it aside from IPCs.

Long story short, from April of 2022 to March 2023, I flew nearly 800 hours. At that point, I started feeling like it was time to start looking at other options to take the next step in my career.

The airlines weren't hiring and you need 1500 hours anyway. I could stay and get to that point by the summer of 2023 with hopes that hiring would start again OR I could do what I wanted to do initially anyway, which is corporate flying.

One day recently, I was scrolling through one of those mostly useless Facebook aviation jobs groups and happened to see a one line ad for SICs in the city my wife is from and I also have family in. So I shot a resume on a whim. The jets are two mid-sized biz jets, so I didn't expect to get a call back with my total turbine time. A day later, though, I got a call. Five days later I went for an interview, and now I've been hired on with an excellent corporation and flight department.

The salary is on par with the airline's starting pay, full benefits, and I've also got that dream corporate schedule everyone talks about. Almost all day trips, 12 or so days a month flying between each pilot, no clock punching, and no office work. My wife even gets to go when we go to the Carribean and other vacation destinations. They'll get me my type rating in the next year so I can upgrade to the left seat.

Long story short, if you are older (not that 37 is ancient, but it's second-career territory) and want to change careers, the time is now. The jobs are out there, and even if the airlines are your goal, the hiring is going to pick back up again. I went from a recreational pilot with little time to a jet job in a year. It's doable. Yeah, it's hard work, and yeah it was a ton of early mornings and late evenings instructing, but it's doable.

Best advice I would give is to just get out there and get started. Don't delay, don't make excuses, and don't settle for anything other than reaching your goal. Beat the ground once you become a part of the flying community in your area. Make friends and explore every opportunity you come across. This is the best time in history to be a working pilot, IMO.

Last edited:
That's awesome, congratulations! As a 37 year old pilot with 500 hours and a dream, I like to live vicariously.

You should reach out to the guy who does the "Fly the Transition" podcast - your story would be great for it.

Congrats! What did you think of the King Air job? If I were to go pro, might be a near term step for me.

...Long story short, from April of 2022 to March 2022, I flew nearly 800 hours....

is this right? assuming day 1 of april to the last day of march, that's over 13 hours/day, every single day.

is this right? assuming day 1 of april to the last day of march, that's over 13 hours/day, every single day.
I can’t do the math in my head right now after a long day and a cocktail, but there’s a negative number involved in there somewhere. Or a time machine.

I think we should have a 15 page thread to figure out the mystery of that typo…lol

Congrats! What did you think of the King Air job? If I were to go pro, might be a near term step for me.

I love the King Airs. Very easy to fly and land and just fast enough to make you feel like a big boy.

But they aren’t really a stepping stone because single pilot insurance on them will eat you alive. I was lucky enough to know a guy who was willing to let me fly a 90 with him.

A stepping stone job would be getting to 1200 hours and going to Wheels Up for a year as a 350 SIC (they type rate you too). You’d be set after that. King Air contract work is very lucrative because there are so many around.

Last edited:
I just turned 37 with 390 hours and commercial checkride next week. Thanks for sharing, I didn't know I needed a story like this to crank up the fire under my butt! Not quitting my day job until I have multi comm and/or CFI to keep my debt low.

The airlines weren't hiring and you need 1500 hours anyway. I could stay and get to that point by the summer of 2023 with hopes that hiring would start again OR I could do what I wanted to do initially anyway, which is corporate flying.

Airlines aren't hiring pilots?

In any event, you'll get to 1500 hours eventually with your corporate flying if you'd ever like to switch to the airlines.

Congrats on setting the goal and hitting it!

Airlines aren't hiring pilots?

In any event, you'll get to 1500 hours eventually with your corporate flying if you'd ever like to switch to the airlines.

Congrats on setting the goal and hitting it!
Regionals are fat on FOs. They need captains so 1500 hours doesn’t really help you get hired anymore unless you have an ATP written then you can apply to Spirit or frontier

I need to get my commercial done so I can continue to get tempted by these threads. About to pass the 600 hour threshold so not anywhere close to ATP levels.

What does taking the ATP written entail?

What does taking the ATP written entail?

Basically dropping 5 grand on a CTP course to make you eligible to schedule said written. That's why ULCCs stipulate written vs practical. It's the written that is the de facto major expense, not the practical, given they would give you a rubber stamp ATP issuance at the conclusion of the simulator training they were gonna pay for anyways to train you to finger-bang that FMS for a living.

Which is also why many of us scrambled in the spring/summer 2014 to take it under the old rules, before it became a $5k fee to take it. Then of course, the subsequent 2nd scramble again in the spring/summer of 2016 as the last date you could take the practical before this grandfathered written expired and you had to go through the 5k route to refresh your ATP written date.

I was part of that shadow inventory gold tail end rush, and Sheppard Air and DPes all over the nation got really fat in 2014/2016 respectively. Some people also ended up having to re-take their ATPs as well as DPEs got pinched after the fact for malfeasance. It was the wild west in part 61 land that summer.

Regionals are fat on FOs. They need captains so 1500 hours doesn’t really help you get hired anymore unless you have an ATP written then you can apply to Spirit or frontier

If the airlines need pilots who have passed the ATP written why wouldn’t they pay the $5000 ?

How does a pilot with 1500 hours and passed the ATP written create more captains?

Has the CTP requirement made an improvement in safety, one that is quantifiable and directly tied to requiring that course?

How does a pilot with 1500 hours and passed the ATP written create more captains?
It doesn't. It turns you into an FO at spirit or frontier while the regionals struggle to hold on to the captains they have already.

Awesome story. Yea, the jobs are out there big time. I started training in 2018 at 36, and was a captain on a light jet just before I turned 39. I now have 2600 hrs, 1000 turbine, and several opportunities I’m passing on bc I like the small company I am at. Compared to my previous 8-5 Mon-fri desk job, this is awesome!

Great stories! Glad to hear you guys are out there enjoying the work, and best of luck. :)

Fantastic! Definitely applaud and am following this trajectory. At 600TT, I find the biggest mysteries as how to build twin time as well as turbine time. Renting twins typically requires dual for some hours and fugetabout renting anything turbine. I’m also curious how other 2nd career folks decide when to cut over from their first career. It sounded like you had a very clear window of when you could hop over to instructing.

Just out of curiosity, what type of job could I potentially get if I got the ATP? I am currently PPL only but have 2 type ratings (C510S and C525S), 2900 TT, ~400 twin turbofan.

Just out of curiosity, what type of job could I potentially get if I got the ATP? I am currently PPL only but have 2 type ratings (C510S and C525S), 2900 TT, ~400 twin turbofan.
You could go direct to a ULCC. There's no job out there in .civ land you're technically not trainable to at your level of exposure. The barrier to entry is not that hard as you can see from these anecdotes.

Personally, i rather have whatever schtick you got that affords you the ability to fly turbine recreationally. Grass ain't greener and all that jazz.

Don’t pay for twin time. I showed up at my current job with 16 hours multi. Our company hires FOs at 1000 tt and wet multi.

Get the written done and you could land interviews at Southwest, Spirit, Flex Jet, Net Jets, etc. Southwest does req 500 turbine though.

Get the written done and you could land interviews at Southwest, Spirit, Flex Jet, Net Jets, etc. Southwest does req 500 turbine though.

Sounds like he doesn’t have a his commercial. He needs to go do that first.

You could go direct to a ULCC. There's no job out there in .civ land you're technically not trainable to at your level of exposure. The barrier to entry is not that hard as you can see from these anecdotes.

Personally, i rather have whatever schtick you got that affords you the ability to fly turbine recreationally. Grass ain't greener and all that jazz.

I'm sure there is definitely some grass is greener aspect but it seems like it would be a fun second career if I had sufficient passive income to be able to afford it...

And yes, I would need to get commercial but that I will likely do that this year anyway since it is pretty easy to combine with a 61.58 ride - all I need to do is take the written (again - I took it many years ago but never did the checkride before it timed out). I do have an instrument rating.

That's awesome, congratulations! As a 37 year old pilot with 500 hours and a dream, I like to live vicariously.

You should reach out to the guy who does the "Fly the Transition" podcast - your story would be great for it.

Hey! I know that guy! I’d be happy to chat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure there is definitely some grass is greener aspect but it seems like it would be a fun second career if I had sufficient passive income to be able to afford it...

And yes, I would need to get commercial but that I will likely do that this year anyway since it is pretty easy to combine with a 61.58 ride - all I need to do is take the written (again - I took it many years ago but never did the checkride before it timed out). I do have an instrument rating.

Hey, RudyP!

I was in exactly the same position as you are back in 2014. I never saw the need for my Commercial, much less my ATP, but I knew they were changing the ATP requirements and figure that I might as well get it, since I had passed the checkride a couple of times with my Type Rating.

So I took both written exams and at my next recurrent, did two separate days: The first was my commercial checkride and the second was my ATP. I think I beat the deadline by about a week!

In any event, nine years later I am having a blast flying as a contract pilot on a few different airframes and really enjoying professional flying in the corporate world.

I figured that it makes sense to have options and I am really happy that I went through with it.

Abram Finkelstein
N685AS

Back