Need vacation idea

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
So, I have vacation the week of 3/20, but my plans to go on a scuba liveaboard fell through and the ones remaining are over my price range of 2.5k. I made a reservation, but they were overbooked and determined I was last. My second thought was to go to the beach somewhere and just dive off boats, but it's Spring Break and other than being the creepy old man looking at ladies in bikinis, that's not my scene.

Any creative ideas for vacation? Just me, prefer unplugged, international OK, and scuba is about as active as my knees let me be. I could fly there, but the cost of the plane from KTTA ($125/hr) has to be figured into overall price and that usually puts it way over the top. Plus I'm still VFR, so there's always the concern over the return window.

Thoughts from the brain trust?

Not there yet - on the Jeppesen syllabus, we're supposed to fly flight 7 today, but it looks like Lousy IFR. Yes, I know it's Low.

Can you do some hiking? Maybe go to Scottsdale and do some hiking at camel back

So, I have vacation the week of 3/20, but my plans to go on a scuba liveaboard fell through and the ones remaining are over my price range of 2.5k. I made a reservation, but they were overbooked and determined I was last. My second thought was to go to the beach somewhere and just dive off boats, but it's Spring Break and other than being the creepy old man looking at ladies in bikinis, that's not my scene.

Any creative ideas for vacation? Just me, prefer unplugged, international OK, and scuba is about as active as my knees let me be. I could fly there, but the cost of the plane from KTTA ($125/hr) has to be figured into overall price and that usually puts it way over the top. Plus I'm still VFR, so there's always the concern over the return window.

A week on the beaches of Barbuda, drinking pina coladas and being fanned with palm fronds by native Barbudians in bikinis.

Fly to Cozumel stay in one of the dive hotels and do what you planned…RDU to CZM round trip on United that week is under $500. Trust me the bikini clad youth will be across the Cozumel Channel from Tulum to Cancun…

Last edited:
Do you enjoy wreck diving? Some of the world’s best is off the coast of North Carolina, aka “The Graveyard of the Atlantic.” I’ve used boats out of Morehead City. Not a hot spring break area, but excellent diving.

How about Belize? I used to dive a lot when I was in the AF. I haven’t been to Belize yet, but have heard reports that the diving is incredible.

I’ve done Bonaire a couple of times. The shore diving is as good as the boat diving, which can save you a little money. We did a single boat dive each morning, then did shore dives in the afternoon and at night. Three or four dives per day was typical, each one about an hour (multi-level). Astoundingly beautiful.

Researching dive options.

Where are hookers and blow the cheapest?

https://www.scubadiving.com/photos/top-10-wreck-dives-north-carolina#page-2

The U-352 was a really cool dive. It's the first submarine sunk by the USCG in WWII. IIRC, she's in ~140' at bottom, so the top is probably 115' to 120' or so. It's a long boat ride to get to her but well worth it.

I've used these guys a couple of times, but it's been years. They were pretty good back then, though.
https://www.olympusdiving.com/en/

Be advised: it's not uncommon to get cancelled due to sea conditions. If you go for a week, you might only dive three days, and when you do go out it can be a rough boat ride. (A good diver will be fine, but these dives are not for beginners.) For some reason, the best wrecks seem to be in places where there are often storms and rough seas. Go figure....

+1 For Cozumel, especially if you're near a hub that can get you direct vs Cancun.

See if the Casa Mexicana has a room.

Dive with Tres Pelicanos.

Bonaire is awesome but 95% of the shore dives aren't friendly to knees if they hurting.

A week on the beaches of Barbuda, drinking pina coladas and being fanned with palm fronds by native Barbudians in bikinis.

Just go to the Money Bar or Hotel Barracuda bar in Coz. Usually a lot of European cruise ship worker scenery.

I Iike the AZ suggestion to. Get a car for 5 days. Hit the Grand Canyon, Page, Meteor Crater on the north loop. You could go south and see the Pima Museum in Tucson, the observatory, etc.

https://www.scubadiving.com/photos/top-10-wreck-dives-north-carolina#page-2

The U-352 was a really cool dive. It's the first submarine sunk by the USCG in WWII. IIRC, she's in ~140' at bottom, so the top is probably 115' to 120' or so. It's a long boat ride to get to her but well worth it.

I've used these guys a couple of times, but it's been years. They were pretty good back then, though.
https://www.olympusdiving.com/en/

Be advised: it's not uncommon to get cancelled due to sea conditions. If you go for a week, you might only dive three days, and when you do go out it can be a rough boat ride. (A good diver will be fine, but these dives are not for beginners.) For some reason, the best wrecks seem to be in places where there are often storms and rough seas. Go figure....

I checked the schedules - looks like they don't start diving until April.

Cozumel is an interesting idea.

Unplugged? I'd find a cabin in the woods to rent that is near a grass strip airport that offers a tailwheel endorsement.

As much as I like the suggestions of aerobatic or unusual attitude classes, that tends to not be most folk's idea of relaxing.

Cheapcarribean.com. Find an inexpensive all inclusive including flights on that site and bring your dive gear.

The winner is…tailwheel. There’s an instructor in the club who owns a decathlon and teaches tailwheel in it. Still doing IFR lessons. And might make a long XC. If all the flights go off, I’ll fly ~20 hours that week.

Cozumel is likely in your dive budget.

So, but it's Spring Break and other than being the creepy old man looking at ladies in bikinis, that's not my scene.?

It is only creepy if you are the old man wearing a bikini speedo.

It is only creepy if you are the old man wearing a bikini speedo.
What’s all the hate with the speedo?

The winner is…tailwheel. There’s an instructor in the club who owns a decathlon and teaches tailwheel in it. Still doing IFR lessons. And might make a long XC. If all the flights go off, I’ll fly ~20 hours that week.
Awesome, Enjoy! It’s a whole different kind of flying altogether!

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/getting-some-tailwheel.137908/

Back