Upgrade to Windows 11?

Sluggo63

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Sluggo63
Running Windows 10 Home on my laptop, is it worth upgrading to Windows 11?

I have 11 running on my desktop and while I don't dislike it, for my purposes it hasn't been an improvement either. If you're happy with 10, I'd say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm sure you'll be getting security updates for 10 for quite some time.

I have 10 on one machine and 11 on another. They’re dissimilar enough to frustrate me to tears, with neither having a clear advantage. Microsoft changes things on a whim, making functions harder to find, without adding any meaningful additional functionality. Don’t bother with the “upgrade.”

Had Dante written The Inferno on a Windows machine there would be an additional level in hell.....

Thanks everyone. I think I'll keep running 10 for now. It works for me.

not sticking up for anything MS does but there would be some security updates behind the scenes that may be beneficial. I'd say if you meet the hardware requirements and have enough RAM, go for it. or don't.

I have 10 on one machine and 11 on another. They’re dissimilar enough to frustrate me to tears, with neither having a clear advantage. Microsoft changes things on a whim, making functions harder to find, without adding any meaningful additional functionality. Don’t bother with the “upgrade.”

Had Dante written The Inferno on a Windows machine there would be an additional level in hell.....

http://classicshell.net/

Make all your menus look the same. It's the very first thing I install when I set up a new Windows computer.

As a computer administrator, I dislike ___________

A. Windows 11
B. Windows 10
C. Windows
D. Microsoft
E. People
F. Computers
G. All of the above, including Apple, Google, Linux, wiring,.. pretty much everything but coffee.

Well, coffee and bourbon!

A. Windows 11
B. Windows 10
C. Windows
D. Microsoft
E. People
F. Computers
G. All of the above, including Apple, Google, Linux, wiring,.. pretty much everything but coffee.
Ultimately computers will be the enabler to humanities’enslavement.

I don't see any real reason to upgrade to Windows 11 from a functionality standpoint. Even though my home computer is fairly high-end from a few years ago, it's not on the approved list of Intel chipsets to upgrade. (i7-7700) I've used Windows 11 on some work platforms and it's fine but doesn't do anything special that Windows 10 doesn't do just fine. The security on the backend is really the main purpose of the upgrade, and that usually applies to corporations a lot more than end users.

I have windows 8.1.

Any suggestions on what to upgrade to.??

XP

If you don't like XP, you could try 95, 98, 7, or DOS.

For a more serious answer. I prefer 7 to 10, and a sharp tack in my foot to 8. 10 isn't bad other than the mandatory "updates" and pre-loaded spyware.

A. Windows 11
B. Windows 10
C. Windows
D. Microsoft
E. People
F. Computers

You can’t watch p0rn on coffee.

55d7dd334281d0266152f165856a8007.jpg

How did that joke go?

Wife asked why I carry a gun in the house.

I said we're being spied on.

Wife laughed. I laughed. The Amazon Echo laughed. I shot the Echo.
And Alexa called the cops.

Levels of Suckage:

1. Microsoft
2. All other versions of Windows
3. Windows 10
4. Windows 11
5. Apple products
6. PCs.
7. Internet forums
8. People who use all the above.
9. People who camp in the left lane.
10. People who like Pineapple on Pizza.

I recently upgraded from 10 to 11. At first I thought I shouldn't have but after running 11 for a while I've adjusted and things are OK. Sometimes these "upgrades" seem to be something a programmer did because there was nothing else to do that day ...

Last edited:
At some point Microsoft will create a working version of 11 that isn’t slow or buggy. Until then, stay with 10

I've got this sort of cycle with windows. Eventually whatever new obnoxiousness they put into it makes me mad enough to move over to mac for a while or maybe try living with a linux desktop again. Eventually I get tired of fighting the battle and need an OS that's compatible with something again and I go back to the current windows iteration.

The stuff they've done with 10 where it comes preloaded with crapware on a clean install, they change things about the UI on updates, constantly try to push me to buy stuff or use features I don't want, then make me click through all of it AGAIN after every major update has me eyeing linux desktops again.

ah, yes, Windows ME (More Errors)

somewhere I have a printout of a microsoft webpage about NT 4.0, where MS proudly states that NT 4.0 contains "tens of thousands of bug fixes" - let that sink in....

I've always been interested in learning more about running Linux. Are there any good primers on how to get started? Advantages/disadvantages?

Linux for Dummies is a good primer....I've got it, but haven't cracked it open in a number of years. I run Ubuntu and one of the nice things, is that you can download to a thumb drive and boot to it and try it without killing your other system.

Linux doesn't take up a lot of drive space...I can carry my entire operating system and everything on my main computer on a 256g thumb drive, and that includes my email client and close to 30,000 filed messages, and probably 10-12,000 files and other documents.

It's fast...I can boot in about a minute on Linux, running on an AMD Athlon processor and 8 gigs of ram. My Dell laptop at work, running W10, on an I7, takes almost 5 minutes to load to the point I can start the login process and often takes up to 30 minutes to update, with all the bloatcrap we have to put up with. Updates on Linux are about 1-6 minutes, depending on how often I do them, and what I let update at any one time.

The only real drawback, is that there are programs that either won't run on Linux or on an emulator under the environment.

Linux for Dummies is a good primer....I've got it, but haven't cracked it open in a number of years. I run Ubuntu and one of the nice things, is that you can download to a thumb drive and boot to it and try it without killing your other system.

Linux doesn't take up a lot of drive space...I can carry my entire operating system and everything on my main computer on a 256g thumb drive, and that includes my email client and close to 30,000 filed messages, and probably 10-12,000 files and other documents.

It's fast...I can boot in about a minute on Linux, running on an AMD Athlon processor and 8 gigs of ram. My Dell laptop at work, running W10, on an I7, takes almost 5 minutes to load to the point I can start the login process and often takes up to 30 minutes to update, with all the bloatcrap we have to put up with. Updates on Linux are about 1-6 minutes, depending on how often I do them, and what I let update at any one time.

The only real drawback, is that there are programs that either won't run on Linux or on an emulator under the environment.

While I'm sure Ubuntu/Linux is faster on bootup, there has to be something up with your Windows unit. My W10 on a 4-yr old i7 processor and SSD boots up and is able to get to the log-on screen in less than 15 seconds, and I'm up and running in under a minute for sure.

While I'm sure Ubuntu/Linux is faster on bootup, there has to be something up with your Windows unit. My W10 on a 4-yr old i7 processor and SSD boots up and is able to get to the log-on screen in less than 15 seconds, and I'm up and running in under a minute for sure.

Probably that. The computers at work recently upgraded from HDDs to SSDs and with nothing else changing, boot times fell by minutes. From 3 to 7 minutes to about 30 seconds on average.

Back