Taxiing an Unregistered Aircraft

lsaway

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
lsaway
I am buying an EAB airplane that was deregistered because owner did not know about registration renewal requirements. I also know the aircraft is grounded for the 4 or 5 months that FAA will need to process the new registration. I always understood that taxiing is permitted as long as there is no intention of flight. Before I start doing some high speed taxiing, I want to know if I am missing something in the regulations that prohibit this. It is a conventional gear aircraft, so does the tail wheel leaving the ground during a high speed taxi constitute flight?

My $.02 is at an uncontrolled field you’re golden. At a towered field I think you’re fine as long as you stay out of any controlled movement areas, but even then if you coordinate it beforehand it shouldn’t be a problem. The problem is with high speed taxi tests you need to be prepared for unintended flight— it’s happened before. Never been a fan of high speed taxi tests but ya pays yer’s monies, yer takes yer chances…..

I don't find an FAA definition for "flight" but they give this for airplane:

"Airplane means an engine-driven fixed-wing aircraft heavier than air, that is supported in flight by the dynamic reaction of the air against its wings."

So ... keep one wheel on the ground at all times. ;)

Seriously, high speed taxi testing is flirting with flight so if it gets airborne you may have to push the throttle in and go. Be careful as more than a few folks have bent up some good airplanes doing high speed taxi testing. Having said all of that I did it with the planes I've built as part of the testing program.

BTW ... whatcha testing?

I want to know if I am missing something in the regulations that prohibit this.
Don't recall anything in the rules that would prohibit it. However, some airports have local rules that do not allow "unairworthy" aircraft in certain movement areas.

14CFR Part 1 defines "Flight Time" as "...Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing..." If you're doing taxi testing, the aircraft isn't moving for the purpose of flight.

Personally, though, I wouldn't go on the runway nor try any high-speed taxi testing. To easy to inadvertently take off, then you ARE in violation.

Had an EAA chapter member who suffered a taxi accident before receiving his airworthiness certificate. Managed to convince the FAA that it wasn't an "aircraft," since it had no paperwork designating it as such.

The fact that the wings hadn't been installed probably helped, too.....

Ron Wanttaja

The problem is with high speed taxi tests you need to be prepared for unintended flight like this.

the aircraft is grounded for the 4 or 5 months that FAA will need to process the new registration.
I thought the pink copy of the registration application was valid as a temporary registration until the FAA sends you the real one?

I thought the pink copy of the registration application was valid as a temporary registration until the FAA sends you the real one?
I'm only a newish member of a flying club, so I'm no expert; but why should that stop me from pretending! ;)

Does FAA webpage help?
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/

If you have submitted documents to register a recently purchased aircraft and have not received a certificate of aircraft registration within 90 days, a letter of extension may be furnished to you which must be carried in the aircraft with the pink or duplicate copy of the application. You may request a letter of extension by emailing the registry Aircraft Registration Branch. Please include a fax number or email address to send the letter of extension to along with your N number and serial number.

That only applies to an aircraft that has current registration at the time of application. Deregistered aircraft due to an oversight does not count. In addition, the original N number is cancelled for 5 years so a repaint of a new N number is required and a new airworthiness certificate. Everybody, don't let your registrations expire.

Last edited:
Ahh, thanks for the info. I missed the deregistered part!

I wouldn't taxi any airplane that wasn't ready for flight fast enough to require a runway. I've seen or experienced a few and heard of more taxi tests that became flights. If it's only paperwork the added risk is probably minimal but I wouldn't want to be the one answering the questions afterwards.

Nauga,
who should've hailed a cab

That only applies to an aircraft that has current registration at the time of application. Deregistered aircraft due to an oversight does not count. In addition, the original N number is cancelled for 5 years so a repaint of a new N number is required and a new airworthiness certificate. Everybody, don't let your registrations expire.
Not exactly, it goes into hold for a time period. You can get it back. I accidentally let mine expire last year. Had it back in a week.

My $.02 is at an uncontrolled field you’re golden. At a towered field I think you’re fine as long as you stay out of any controlled movement areas, but even then if you coordinate it beforehand it shouldn’t be a problem. The problem is with high speed taxi tests you need to be prepared for unintended flight— it’s happened before. Never been a fan of high speed taxi tests but ya pays yer’s monies, yer takes yer chances…..

Controllers don’t know if an airplane is registered or not. If you need a high speed taxi on the runway just ask for it. No big deal.

Controllers don’t know if an airplane is registered or not. If you need a high speed taxi on the runway just ask for it. No big deal.
Physics doesn't know either. Neither will the "rule nazis" at airport.

Kudos to the OP for wanting to follow the rules, but this seems like the extreme end of worrying.

I know some guys that intended to high speed taxi that ended up airborne ... watch for that ....

Long time ago, but there was a guy who started a new FBO at the local airport. He was adding to his fleet (probably leasebacks), and picked up a twin that he was anxious to try out.
Apparently the insurance hadn't been worked out right away, so he decided to do a few high speed taxi runs down the runway. You can guess the rest: the brakes failed, and he ran off
the end and into a big ditch. He wasn't hurt, but the plane was - and it signaled the end of his business.

Dave

Back