What is this hand signal?

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I see people doing this all the time but I’m not sure what it means.
Edit: pic didn’t seem to upload. I’ll try again.

Hang Loose.
Take it easy, all is cool, catch you later man, etc...

At least that what it used to mean, dunno if 4chan started a new trend with it like the OK sign. As a joke they said the OK sign was a secret sign for white power. The media caught wind of it ran with it, and then white power groups did start using it. Now places are trying to ban it. Never mind it's also been used in basketball (which is mostly NOT white guys) to indicate a 3 pointer as well.

Yep, hang loose.

might be different in Texas and/or Italy

Although the same gesture done with thumb to ear, little finger to mouth, means 'call me'.
But only to our older (aka slightly more seasoned) generation. The last 20 years or so they only know cell phones and they hold their palm up to the side of their face as aa "call me".

Hang Loose.
Take it easy, all is cool, catch you later man, etc...

At least that what it used to mean, dunno if 4chan started a new trend with it like the OK sign. As a joke they said the OK sign was a secret sign for white power. The media caught wind of it ran with it, and then white power groups did start using it. Now places are trying to ban it. Never mind it's also been used in basketball (which is mostly NOT white guys) to indicate a 3 pointer as well.

577bb8a48bfb5815c34dae249f4db891.jpg

But only to our older (aka slightly more seasoned) generation. The last 20 years or so they only know cell phones and they hold their palm up to the side of their face as aa "call me".

That actually surprised me the first time I saw it. I assumed everyone still used the "typical" hand sign for phone or "call me" until I started working with preschoolers and kindergartners. Who all used their flat hand against the ear to mimic talking on the phone. It made me feel so old. :p

That actually surprised me the first time I saw it. I assumed everyone still used the "typical" hand sign for phone or "call me" until I started working with preschoolers and kindergartners. Who all used their flat hand against the ear to mimic talking on the phone. It made me feel so old. :p

When I see an adult do that, I'll just slap them. "What? you just indicated you wanted an open hand against your face."

When I see an adult do that, I'll just slap them. "What? you just indicated you wanted an open hand against your face."

Holding back the tide, Ed. Holding back the tide.

Either that or their a Texas Longhorns fan.

This is the longhorn sign along with the creator. Although I don't know why anyone would want to do this...

rawImage.jpg

Texas Tower (of horror) in the back ground...

zeldman, who bleeds maroon

This is the longhorn sign along with the creator. Although I don't know why anyone would want to do this...

rawImage.jpg

Texas Tower (of horror) in the back ground...

zeldman, who bleeds maroon

I’ve always thought that was a satanic or heavy metal rock (same thing if you’d asked my dad) hand symbol. Represents goat horns.

If I see it, my first thought is, "What? You're tired? Need a nap?"

The thumb by itself is an obscene gesture in Southwest Asia. Up yours. Not sure if adding the pinky to the gesture changes that.

If I see it, my first thought is, "What? You're tired? Need a nap?"

When I indicate that want to go to sleep, I put both palms together and place the back of one hand on the side of my face, usually accompanied by tilting my head to that side.

I’ve always thought that was a satanic or heavy metal rock (same thing if you’d asked my dad) hand symbol. Represents goat horns.

Yep, sadly some folks have taken a meaningful gesture and changed it to a dark meaning.

shaka braddah!!

I worked for Panamera Air Tours as an aircraft mechanic apprentice the summer of 1980 at HNL. There was a DC-8 freighter that would taxi in buy us, Most of the time the FO would open the window and give that sign to us.

I think of it from the movie 13 hours (where the US Consulate was attacked in Benghazi). It was a symbol the locals used to say all’s well.
604AB3D1-06DB-44C6-B270-56B7F97DE2C7.gif

I guess you work with poorer kids that can't afford AirPods...

Back