Is the Sun in Danger?

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
I could care less if it's dark in the morning. Well, that's not true, I'd like light in the morning but I NEED light in the afternoon. I'd gladly trade an hour of sunlight in the morning for an hour of sunlight in the evening. Because right now, in the winter, I drive to work in the dark, and drive home in the dark.

F that. Time to end the madness.

I tend to be a traditionalist (Get off my lawn), but I think I'm going to like this change.

I like how they call it permanent daylight savings time when it actually eliminates daylight savings time and shifts standard time by an hour. At least that is my take. But I have been for doing that for a long time.

Shifting standard time is stupid. If we must make it permanent, make standard time match physical reality as it already does and let businesses adjust their operating hours.

But politicians rarely pay attention to physical reality even when (again, rarely) they understand it.

Won't ever happen, the house will fill the bill with pork and we will have to pass it to find out whats in it.

Shifting standard time is stupid. If we must make it permanent, make standard time match physical reality as it already does and let businesses adjust their operating hours.

But politicians rarely pay attention to physical reality even when (again, rarely) they understand it.

Standard time currently is only a little over 4 months a year while daylight savings is almost 8 months. Which is actually more of the standard?

Why can’t we just change the school schedules instead of adjusting the clocks?

I know I am in the minority, but I like the time change. Fall back signals the beginning of winter, fall foliage and gets you in the mindset for thanksgiving and christmas. Spring forward gets you ready for Easter and spring showers. I know it is a pain to adjust clocks, but don't they adjust themselves these days?

Not a fan. I like to start my workday in the daylight if possible. 8am is 2 hours too late.

Uh, WHY are we still using time zones AT ALL in a “globalized” world?

Assuming we spoke a common language, here’s the only benefit I can see:

me to othersideoftheworldperson: what time do you get up?

othersideoftheworldperson to me: about 6am

me to othersideoftheworldperson: me too

Which would be replaced by this in a sane world:

what time do you get up?

about when the sun does.

me too.

So there I was... you were waiting for that weren’t you? ...on a navy ship in the middle of the ocean transiting west for a couple weeks, then east for a couple weeks several months later... using LOCAL time zones! WTF?!!! We hit a time zone a day. We had the first 7pm launch, and the 2nd 7 pm launch. No, THAT wasn’t confusing... didn’t cause any problems. Geesh.

To add insult to injury, the general modus operandi was to add the hour during the day, and remove it during the night...

All this in a system that uses GMT for ALL message traffic. I just never understood it. But then I’m a tiny brained pilot...

Uh, WHY are we still using time zones AT ALL in a “globalized” world?

Assuming we spoke a common language, here’s the only benefit I can see:

me to othersideoftheworldperson: what time do you get up?

othersideoftheworldperson to me: about 6am

me to othersideoftheworldperson: me too

Which would be replaced by this in a sane world:

what time do you get up?

about when the sun does.

me too.

So there I was... you were waiting for that weren’t you? ...on a navy ship in the middle of the ocean transiting west for a couple weeks, then east for a couple weeks several months later... using LOCAL time zones! WTF?!!! We hit a time zone a day. We had the first 7pm launch, and the 2nd 7 pm launch. No, THAT wasn’t confusing... didn’t cause any problems. Geesh.

To add insult to injury, the general modus operandi was to add the hour during the day, and remove it during the night...

All this in a system that uses GMT for ALL message traffic. I just never understood it. But then I’m a tiny brained pilot...
Look at China. One time zone for the whole country. They make it work.

Why can’t we just change the school schedules instead of adjusting the clocks?
No doubt. It isn’t like we all work the same shift and not every business is 9-5. You adjust your own hours of operation as necessary but don’t mess with time.

Look at China. One time zone for the whole country. They make it work.

Yea, MAKE it work as in you don't have any say in the matter and if you whine about it we'll lock your ass up or tag you as a social misfit and general enemy of the people.

The largest risk to the sun is all the solar panels absorbing all of its energy and causing it to go out sooner.

Exactly. That's why it's important for all those people using solar panels to turn off lights when they leave a room, to adjust their thermostats, to minimize opening the refrigerator, etc.

OTOH, if we can use just enough solar power to dim the sun a smidge, we can end global warming.

In a related story, the "Obesity Elimination Act" will increase the size of the inch by 25%...
So, if you used to wear size 42 jeans, the new ones will be size 34. Pounds likewise will be increased by 25%, so those 280 pound college linemen will weigh in at 224 next season.

In a related story, the "Obesity Elimination Act" will increase the size of the inch by 25%...
So, if you used to wear size 42 jeans, the new ones will be size 34. Pounds likewise will be increased by 25%, so those 280 pound college linemen will weigh in at 224 next season.
No joke - My father in law was complaining about the clothing companies - they were making clothes smaller to save money. He figured that out when he bought the same size he always did, but they were too tight.

No joke - My father in law was complaining about the clothing companies - they were making clothes smaller to save money. He figured that out when he bought the same size he always did, but they were too tight.
Ha! I knew it! I have observed the same thing.

I don't mind the time change twice a year, but if it is eliminated, I would choose year-round standard time.

Didn't some state out west make Pi 3 once, so math would be easier?

Really, I don't think literacy tests are appropriate for voting, at all, but I'm thinking maybe a basic math test would be a good thing to require for anyone before they're elected.

To paraphrase Samuel Clemens, we have a great form of government, where the people we elect are somehow the most inept group of people in the country.

Glad to see it! I grew up in that part of Indiana that never changed their clocks, well until 2022, and it worked out fine even for a northernish state.

To paraphrase Samuel Clemens, we have a great form of government, where the people we elect are somehow the most inept group of people in the country.

Laurence Peters, who posited "The Peter Principle--" the tendency in most organizations for every individual to rise in the hierarchy until they reach a level of incompetence and remain there-- once jokingly said that it began with the cavemen. That they would all be hunting and one schmoe would yell, trip and fall, or otherwise make noise and scare the game away. That person would be elected leader and left behind "to protect the camp" on the next hunt so the cavemen would not starve.

Back