Who is ready for the $100 oil change?

Zeldman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Billy
:incazzato::incazzato::incazzato:

I changed the oil in my mom's car yesterday. 5 qts oil, 1 fuel filter and 1 air filter.

92 bucks.

Since the oil only has about 4000 miles (2 years) on it, I saved it to run in my tractor and lawn mower and anything else that needs oil.

2011 Ford Edge (pronounced ed JAY....)

I need to change the oil in my pickup, 2.5 gallons oil, 1 oil filter, 2 fuel filters and air filter. I wonder what that is going to cost me.?? :incazzato::incazzato::incazzato:

Had oil changed in my (new to me) 2014 Chevy a while back. It takes synthetic. $90+ at the local place. Good thing is that it has been getting around 7500 miles between changes. I change when the oil life meter tells - not based on straight mileage.

Had the oil changed in the Jeep (03 TJ) and it wasn't too cheap either. They suggested an air filter (DUH! That thing is like 4 years old!) and I thought "No way are you going to rip me a new one with the markup on that thing!" After I was done, I went to the OReilly across the road and their price was the same as what the oil change place wanted. So much for saving via DIY.

I drive a diesel truck...10.5 quarts of synthetic. Even before the steep rise in oil, it was $200+ an oil change.

By the case oil is about $3/qt for the car and $6/qt for the airplane... It's other people's labor that makes it really expensive.

I change when the oil life meter tells - not based on straight mileage.
I don’t go by the oil life meter in any of my vehicles. Personal vehicles get changed every 10,000 miles, big truck every 25,000. Makes it easier to keep track. Given today’s synthetic oils are way superior to the Dino blends, it’s a no brainer. ;)

I buy 5 quarts of mobile one synthetic and a filter from Amazon for 30 bucks. The local shop will put it up on the lift and swap it all out for $15. But I know a lot of shops might not let you bring your own supplies

Last oil change, $22 for a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 Extended performance at Wallyworld, $8 for a genuine Subaru filter, did it in my driveway in about 15min. $30, this was a few weeks ago.

The V-12 XJ-S needed 12qt to do an oil change. It's a pretty large footprint engine.

The Castrol 5w30, for my GM vehicles, at Walmart is just over $20 for a 5-quart jug.

I buy Chevron 5w30 by the case at Costco in Mexico on occasion and I find myself wondering what the price of that will be when I'm down next.

*Cough* I just did the Ford Excursion 6.0L Powerstroke last weekend: $130 for 4 gallons of 5w-40 and a filter. Granted this was Amsoil, but Motorcraft and Rotella T6 are either unobtanium or cost just about as much when you can find it. That was my cost, not a shop/quick lube.

*Cough* I just did the Ford Excursion 6.0L Powerstroke last weekend: $130 for 4 gallons of 5w-40 and a filter. Granted this was Amsoil, but Motorcraft and Rotella T6 are either unobtanium or cost just about as much when you can find it. That was my cost, not a shop/quick lube.

Scored a gallon jug of T6 5w40 on Amazon a week and a half ago, $22.

Scored a gallon jug of T6 5w40 on Amazon a week and a half ago, $22.

Yup, so after taxes in my case it's about $95 in oil, then another $12 or so for the filter. Freaking Rotella, lol. So, I went with Amsoil who ships the entire thing to me for $130 all-in with filter. More money, but technically it's a much "better" oil from a spec-sheet. I can't tell any difference in the starting or operation of the diesel (but I wouldn't expect to). Supposedly there are guys running 10K miles between oil changes with Amsoil, but I'm not going to test that theory with high-pressure oil-fired injection like mine. If it was common rail I wouldn't have as much of an issue extending oil changes (with filter change at normal intervals).

Last Tuesday bought 5qts of OW 20 and a filter to do the oil change and it cost less than $30.
When I have to spend $90 for parts I'll take it somewhere and have it done

Diesel guys….. get a bypass system and have your oil tested to decide when to change. I run the AmsOil bypass with an EA100 filter and I’m around 15k with no inclination to change the oil.

Diesel guys….. get a bypass system and have your oil tested to decide when to change. I run the AmsOil bypass with an EA100 filter and I’m around 15k with no inclination to change the oil.

I've got a bypass filter on mine as well. The problem on the Powerstrokes is that the high pressure injector pumps actually cause shearing of the oil. From what I've read, many 15w-40 or similar oils get sheared down close to 30w by 5K miles (recommended oil change). The oil itself isn't particularly "dirty", but has actually changed viscosity. I think it's less prevalent with true full-synthetics like Amsoil/Redline that don't use dino oil as a carrier, but I'm not sure it's worth messing with for 2 oil changes per year.

Last oil change, $22 for a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 Extended performance at Wallyworld
There was a Mobil 1 rebate last year and several years prior that is not there this year, so that's effectively a 20% price increase. :(

Wherever you’re buying oil and filters is grossly overcharging. I just got oil and filter for a ‘19 Edge at Walmart and it was under $40.

I'm overdue for one of my cars and unfortunately it's one where the oil change is a PITA so I outsource this one... Gotta get it scheduled but the handful of (appropriate) shops are all slammed with the crazy market values for cars these days.

Does anyone change the oil at 3000k anymore?

Nope. The Subaru recommends 6000 or six months, whichever comes first. The Ford and Honda have OLMs, I follow those. On each it ends up being somewhere in the 8-10k miles or 10-12 months depending.

I've got a coupon from the dealer for a $59 5qt synthetic oil change. I suppose that one's a lot more valuable this year than in years past.

I don't get the 5 qt jug thing. Every vehicle I have is 6qt change with filter. Who changes oil and doesn't change the filter?

I don't get the 5 qt jug thing. Every vehicle I have is 6qt change with filter. Who changes oil and doesn't change the filter?
My diesel takes 15 qts. So three 5 qt jugs, or 4 gallon jugs that leave 1 qt left over. The F-150 and GMC V8s were 6 qts.

Which on many cars is just a milage reading. :)

Mine is not. According to what I have read about it, it takes into account operating time at certain temperatures, time to rise to temp, etc. I have noticed it is not the same mileage number every time (I wanted to make sure it wasn't just a countdown as I had suspected). Been pretty light driving this winter and I'm getting much more mileage per "% remaining" drop than I did last summer driving 80+ on the interstate in Georgia quite a bit.

I don’t go by the oil life meter in any of my vehicles. Personal vehicles get changed every 10,000 miles, big truck every 25,000. Makes it easier to keep track. Given today’s synthetic oils are way superior to the Dino blends, it’s a no brainer. ;)

TBH, I don't have to change the oil in the Jeep very often. It has a cool self-changing feature where it just drips the old stuff out over time and I add new along the way. The scenario I noted in my post was my "once every 3-4 years flush it out completely" trip. :D

Once upon a time it was common for sumps to hold 5 quarts. I assume the 5 quart jugs are a carryover from the old days. These days, the sump capacities keep getting larger. I suspect that is to offset the high mileages between oil changes that people have come to expect, but perhaps not the only reason.

I just buy oil in 5 gallon increments so the sump capacity doesn’t bother me much.

OIl (5 qts) plus oil filter from Autozone was $26.20 on last oil change two weeks ago.

15 quarts on my 7.3 Ford. Running Rotella T6 5W-40 til summer time, then 15W-40. The 5W is hard to find. Last 2.5 gallon jug I bought was $76 and was the only jug within a 30 mile radius that I could find. I typically buy the 2.5 gallon jugs and when the shop changes the oil, I have them toss both jugs in to the bed. I take the empty one and let it drain into a gallon jug and use that for makeup between changes.

15 quarts on my 7.3 Ford. Running Rotella T6 5W-40 til summer time, then 15W-40. The 5W is hard to find. Last 2.5 gallon jug I bought was $76 and was the only jug within a 30 mile radius that I could find. I typically buy the 2.5 gallon jugs and when the shop changes the oil, I have them toss both jugs in to the bed. I take the empty one and let it drain into a gallon jug and use that for makeup between changes.
If that 7.tree wouldn't leak out half of the oil, you wouldn't need makeup oil, lol.

Mine is not. According to what I have read about it, it takes into account operating time at certain temperatures, time to rise to temp, etc. I have noticed it is not the same mileage number every time (I wanted to make sure it wasn't just a countdown as I had suspected). Been pretty light driving this winter and I'm getting much more mileage per "% remaining" drop than I did last summer driving 80+ on the interstate in Georgia quite a bit.

Pretty sure it figures calandra time too.

If that 7.tree wouldn't leak out half of the oil, you wouldn't need makeup oil, lol.

I call it my Ford Harley to my bike friends. To the guys I play airplanes with, I tell them it's as close to owning a Pratt and Whitney motor as I'll get for a while......:p

Back