Garmin G5 side-by-side

frostyeric

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
frostyeric
Based on previous thread and more research and discussions, planning to go with two G5s vs the Aspen E5. It seems like everyone installs the G5s as a stack. Trying to avoid a complete redo of my panel, I lean toward installing them side by side and moving the altimeter. Will remove AI and DG/vacuum system. See image below. Anyone else do this? Any reason not to? I'd like to keep my iPad mount where it is (and there is a VOR behind the iPad as a backup instrument if needed).

Photo: https://flic.kr/p/2jJwCFD

vJXw1ZFDDhV7VfKf9
2jJwCFD

Last edited:
see....yet another G5 issue ;)

Last edited:
Lots of old planes have odd layouts, but there is a reason the six pack style is as common as it is.

I thought there was another company making a round drop in option, maybe that might work better?

Never understood why garmin went the square peg in the round hole path on those things

I think going away from the traditional six pack may reduce resale value.

I don’t get it. It would be less work to leave the altimeter alone and stack them? What am I missing?

7A27DF53-1901-4C23-BC47-4DD19E40AA24.jpeg I just did my avionics upgrade and put my new g5 right next to the g5 I already had installed. I see no issues at all with it, but my plane didn’t have a traditional 6 pack layout to begin with either.

It's desirable to keep the basic six pack configuration if possible. Is the issue that they won't be in line with each other if "stacked" vertically -- staggered, after a fashion? I could see that being unaesthetic.

Recutting the panel would be a fair amount of labor so I can understand wanting to avoid that, too.

No great options which don't involve money here... personally I'd rather not place them side by side, nor would I like the look of the offset "stack."

The G5’s in my Mooney are misaligned. It took me about 2 hours to get used to it and to be honest now I don’t even notice it any more. I’d definitely prefer misaligned and stacked to side by side.

Last edited:

I’d put the altimeter where you have G5 HSI and put the G5 HSI where you have it labeled altimeter. The G5 fits is a standard hole. Looking at the pic, I think the G5 HSI will work just fine in the lower hole underneath the G5 ADI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The G5’s in my Mooney are misaligned. It took me about 2 hours to get used to it and to be honest now I don’t even notice it any more. I’d definitely prefer misaligned and stacked to side by side.

I don't think you can mount 2 G5s side by side in a Mooney? The cabin isn't wide enough is it? LOL ;)

I think that the side by side setup is a great idea, FrostyE. I'm doing a very similar setup, except with GI-275s. Have you considered this option? A little more expensive, but aesthetically, more appealing, I believe.

Based on previous thread and more research and discussions, planning to go with two G5s vs the Aspen E5. It seems like everyone installs the G5s as a stack. Trying to avoid a complete redo of my panel, I lean toward installing them side by side and moving the altimeter. Will remove AI and DG/vacuum system. See image below. Anyone else do this? Any reason not to? I'd like to keep my iPad mount where it is (and there is a VOR behind the iPad as a backup instrument if needed).

Photo: https://flic.kr/p/2jJwCFD

vJXw1ZFDDhV7VfKf9
2jJwCFD

I think that the side by side setup is a great idea, FrostyE. I'm doing a very similar setup, except with GI-275s. Have you considered this option? A little more expensive, but aesthetically, more appealing, I believe.

Thanks, RockBerry. Looked at them, but honestly our budget keeps growing and growing from what our original plan was so I think the G5s will be our last stop.

If two G5s aren't expensive enough send out all the other pitot/static instruments for new dials at the same time...

upload_2020-9-21_13-57-51.png

Thanks, RockBerry. Looked at them, but honestly our budget keeps growing and growing from what our original plan was so I think the G5s will be our last stop.

I can understand trying to control budget creep. Due to my aircraft being Class III, I'm paying even more for the 275s than normal, but prior to January of this year, my only Garmin PFD upgrade consideration was the G600 TXi. So, I'm able to save a bit due to the 275 availability. If I were able to install the G5s in my plane, I would also have taken that option prior to the 275 release.

If the metal panel doesn’t need to be cut, the next owner can just stack the G5s if they don’t like the way you have them.

Just leave enough slack in all the instruments to be able to move them around (you may find you don’t like them that way either.

If only the panel overlay needs to be cut, might want to see if you can find a spare for yourself or the next buyer.

Back