Monitoring for an engine failure

Tony Ipina

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tony Ipina
I had my Nissan car idling for about 15 minutes when I noticed my engine’s temperate gauge was reaching the red. Turns out I need more antifreeze.
My concern is that I don’t know how long the temperature was rising before I noticed. This leads to my thought on what are the critical indicators that an engine failure may happen while flying. I am a 90 hour pilot so I am still juggling what my eyes should be focused on while in the air.
What are the indicators I should be continuously monitoring for in anticipation of an engine failure?

Thank you and safe flying!

Oil pressure and oil temp. That and the sound of the engine are about all you can do while in the air.

Low oil pressure, find a place to land NOW!

What are the indicators I should be continuously monitoring for in anticipation of an engine failure?

If you have one, watch the carb heat gauge. Carb ice doesn't always cause a rough running engine.

Side note; the Garmin G300 in the Skycatcher I flew offered all kinds of verbal warnings. I can't figure out why they didn't include verbals for some of the critical engine parameters. I know there are issues that would need to be resolved (no alerts on start up for instance otherwise you'd just disable the alerts waiting for things to warm up).

If the spinny thing on the front stops spinning usually it is a good indication.

What everyone else said...plus, get in the habit of making a scan on all instruments regularly:
Oil Temp and Pressure
Suction
Amps
Voltage
Fuel Level (flow, pressure)
Carb temp
If equipped, CHT, EGT

It's reassuring to yourself and your passengers if you regularly do the check, and everything is in the green.

Visible smoke is also usually a bad sign...

What everyone else said...plus, get in the habit of making a scan on all instruments regularly:
Oil Temp and Pressure
Suction
Amps
Voltage
Fuel Level (flow, pressure)
Carb temp
If equipped, CHT, EGT

It's reassuring to yourself and your passengers if you regularly do the check, and everything is in the green.
I agree but the question was Engine failure.
Voltage, amps & suction not that critical in VFR nor do they contribute to engine failure.
Carb ice - definitely a problem but is it engine failure?
Fuel - depends if you consider it an engine failure.

As others have mentioned, in the absence of an engine monitor, oil pressure and oil temp are things to periodically monitor. In cruise, these should be quite stable. It is also useful to monitor whether or not the engine is producing the expected power in known flight regimes. For example, on takeoff and initial climb, you should be able to develop a certain engine rpm at Vy. If the engine is not producing expected power, consider taking appropriate action (check carb heat, fuel flow, magnetos) and if unable to diagnose consider landing and investigating further. If you fly long enough you may encounter icing, fuel pump issues, and or magneto failures in flight, and they may manifest as unusual power fluctuations from the norm. But you can still be taken by surprise. (In case of a severe carb icing encounter many years ago, my only clue was relatively sudden and complete engine power failure! Going through the engine failure check list, which included application of carb heat, resolved the issue before an emergency off-airport landing was required.)

No anti freeze on most airplanes. Might be 1950's tech, but there is an upside to ancient simple.

Oil pressure, then temp. If pressure OK and temp high, you're over heating. Richen mixture, reduce power, drop nose to pick up speed and get more air cooling the engine. If temp OK and pressure low, you might have a bad pressure sensor as the oil should be getting hotter. In any case, land at nearest airport. High temp, low pressure - look for a place to land because the engine is going to stop soon.

Not sure why they don't have a large red "idiot" light for low oil pressure, as they do on cars.

Not sure why they don't have a large red "idiot" light for low oil pressure, as they do on cars.
Some of the more modern engine monitors do have it.

Abnormal vibrations or odd reactions to control inputs, lack of climb or general performance, odd sounds or smells

Oil Temp and pressure

Earlier indication is CHTs and EGTs

DONT BE A “IN THE GREEN” IDIOT, learn where the plane normally operates, if it’s doing something abnormal to how that plane normally runs fine out why.

Cut your oil filters and check or metal

That’s off the cuff

I have a fadec controlled engine , important to keep an eye on the alternator.

It’s certainly possible to pick up on some of the instrument indications mentioned, but my guess is that you won’t. Not until after the fact that is. Even with the fancy stuff that tells you when something is going wrong you’re going to notice the alerts you after the fact. My experience is that the indications allow you to effectively evaluate the problem that has already happened rather than prevent one from happening.
Abnormal vibrations is what you will pick up on first. At least that’s been my experience.
In 6,500 hours I’ve only had 2 real engine malfunctions in flight. One was a cylinder malfunctioning due to a stuck valve in a single engine. I felt that one in the rudder pedals first. The other was a complete and sudden damage/failure after takeoff. Multi engine airplane. Maybe 600’. Again, no indications whatsoever until after the fact. Then temp was pegged. The good engine was really good. It worked it’s ass off getting back!
Unless you’re in a multi engine airplane there’s not a lot you can do about it anyway. If you’re in a twin and pick up on low oil pressure etc. sure, you can do an intentional shut down or power reduction to possibly save the engine. There’s just not a lot you can manage with a Single engine except land at the nearest suitable.

Back