Your fat removal services...

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
Okay so my friend right, he doesn't have a weight problem, per se, and he's actually a semi lean, lightly buff dude but he has this problem. Fat on his sides and belly that just won't go away. He's been seeing ads on the telly for services like Sono Bello (some sort of laser removal process), and Cool Sculpting (freezing the fat away somehow) and then are your standard cut and slurp.

So, does anyone have any... friends... that have used any of these services? Feedback? Recommendations? Downsides?

Downsides?

Downsides? The downside of any surgery is complications, which could lead to death or worse. Unlikely, but possible. That's the spiel they give you (or should give) before any lifestyle procedure. This hits home for me because my father had a bad outcome from a knee replacement and has been wheelchair bound ever since. Walked in, ultimately rolled out.

Downsides? The downside of any surgery is complications, which could lead to death or worse. Unlikely, but possible. That's the spiel they give you (or should give) before any lifestyle procedure. This hits home for me because my father had a bad outcome from a knee replacement and has been wheelchair bound ever since. Walked in, ultimately rolled out.

There is that. I -think- Cool Sculpting however is non-surgical.

Read some of the reviews NOT on their websites. Much more pragmatic observations by people who have gone thru either process. Fat along sides and belly is common with aging.

Well, a friend of mine has this same problem and is hoping to solve it through dieting. What should I tell him your friend has tried without success, so he doesn't waste his time with it?

Well, a friend of mine has this same problem and is hoping to solve it through dieting. What should I tell him your friend has tried without success, so he doesn't waste his time with it?

Dieting, exercise, lettuce wrapped burgers... his daily routine starts with a half hour weight session, followed by an hour of cardio (700-800 calorie burn), and most days fifty laps in the pool, and sometimes 1 - 1 1/2 hour daily bike rides. It's like fat in general will burn off, just not there.

Dieting, exercise, lettuce wrapped burgers... his daily routine starts with a half hour weight session, followed by an hour of cardio (700-800 calorie burn), and most days fifty laps in the pool, and sometimes 1 - 1 1/2 hour daily bike rides. It's like fat in general will burn off, just not there.
Nine years ago I lost around 30 pounds through some hard choices and exercising. Everything leaned out except that spare tire around the middle. It hung on and on. Wish I could let the air out of it...

Does your friend drink alcohol? If so, tell him to try six weeks without ETOH consumption and see if that helps.

Damn.. I'm screwed then..

Build up chest and shoulder mass to hide the fat?

Tell your friend (wink wink) we're getting old and gravity eventually wins.. I would be more concerned about blood sugar and cardio conditioning which sounds like your friend (wink wink) has a handle on...

Or just do do the Mark Whalberg workout

The friend needs some bread to eat.
I think that too. IIRC, in Fit or Fat, Covert Bailey said that you need glucose to act as kindling to get the fat "logs" burning. If you don't eat carbs the body uses muscle and protein for the needed glucose. So, when you over-exercise, you burn up the very thing you need to burn calories. Then, to replace the lost lean body mass, if you to eat a bunch of protein laced with more fat, the fat stores won't deplete. Better to work less, build muscle, spare protein with some carbs (not too much) and eat low fat proteins in the minimum amounts needed for replenishment. (Bailey didn't say most of that. It's just my take away.)

Tell your friend that ogling the ladies at the gym is not cardio, even if it makes his thready old pulse quicken. Tell him also that all those burgers you eat with him are making him fat. Further, tell him to change up his crossfit routine and add some resistance and real exercises to his poor excuse for a workout. Finally, tell your buddy that men don’t have cosmetic procedures performed on them. Ladyboys, maybe, but not real men, like your friend, for example.

Tell your friend that ogling the ladies at the gym is not cardio, even if it makes his thready old pulse quicken. Tell him also that all those burgers you eat with him are making him fat. Further, tell him to change up his crossfit routine and add some resistance and real exercises to his poor excuse for a workout. Finally, tell your buddy that men don’t have cosmetic procedures performed on them. Ladyboys, maybe, but not real men, like your friend, for example.

Nonononononono, a cross-fit ladyboy I am not.

Homey don't do cross-fit.

Okay, pardon any inaccuracies here... Your friend is finding out about the joys of interstitial fat. This is part and parcel with aging. To grossly oversimplify to the point of possible inaccuracy, humans get around 1/2 pound of this per year as we age (starting around 30 years old, give or take).

Generally speaking, this fat cannot be burned off. In many cases, the individual fat cells have popped out the nucleus, so they are just little fat deposits. Again, this is a superficial view of a complex subject, but just starting with 'interstitial fat' will get you lots of information.

Separately, I'd expect Sono Bello, Cold Sculpting and all of that to be somewhere between 'fleeting results' and 'total bunko.' Liposuction is an option, but my friend knows nothing about it to tell your friend.

Do you utilize compound exercises? Squats, deads, lat pulls, barbell and dumbbell chest presses, Arnolds? These exercises engage large muscle groups and burn lots of energy.

Okay so my friend right, he doesn't have a weight problem, per se, and he's actually a semi lean, lightly buff dude but he has this problem. Fat on his sides and belly that just won't go away. He's been seeing ads on the telly for services like Sono Bello (some sort of laser removal process), and Cool Sculpting (freezing the fat away somehow) and then are your standard cut and slurp.

So, does anyone have any... friends... that have used any of these services? Feedback? Recommendations? Downsides?

Has “your friend” had his hormone levels checked? If T is low, and it were me, I would try the “snake oil” solution of hormone pellets before I’d let someone try to burn or freeze away tissue.

Has “your friend” had his hormone levels checked? If T is low, and it were me, I would try the “snake oil” solution of hormone pellets before I’d let someone try to burn or freeze away tissue.

Hmm, that is a thought. I will relay that suggestion.

Tell your "friend" to lay off the 5 patty cheese burgers. ;)

I have a friend who went in for a routine physical and then his doc poked him in the belly and said, “You need to learn how to step away from the table.”

I would be more concerned about blood sugar and cardio conditioning

This is what I started doing after the heart attack and have knocked off 25 pounds. Plus a big change in eating habits.

My cardiologist keeps telling me I have arteries of a 20 year old, yet I still have that ''beer belly''.

Your friend wanna lose some fast?

No refined sugars. Real maple syrup okay, real honey (watch for corn syrup in it)okay. Moderation, of course.

Empty the cupboards of anything with any -tose or -ose in it sucr-ose fruc-tose etc.

Buy greens and veg from produce area not canned or froze.

Eat red meat, chicken, fish. All okay.

The first time I did this.. I lost 30# just quitting sugar in coffee. 1month.

Then I did the cupboards... Then I got to 175# from 235. No exercise, BTW.

Then, I started doing a physical job that got me from behind a desk... And stayed 175-185 + ate more. And stayed the weight. Got lean and strong.

No refined sugars. Real maple syrup okay, real honey (watch for corn syrup in it)okay. Moderation, of course.

Empty the cupboards of anything with any -tose or -ose in it sucr-ose fruc-tose etc.

Then, I started doing a physical job that got me from behind a desk... And stayed 175-185 + ate more. And stayed the weight. Got lean and strong.
I pretty much do all but one of those things and I still have a weight problem.
I don't think we have had any sugar in the house for over a decade. We hardly ever buy processed foods. Almost everything is from the butcher counter or the produce isle except coffee and canned tomatoes.

Now, if I could just get that one thing mastered, I'd be in great shape. But without that one thing, none of the rest matters too much.

I pretty much do all but one of those things and I still have a weight problem.
I don't think we have had any sugar in the house for over a decade. We hardly ever buy processed foods. Almost everything is from the butcher counter or the produce isle except coffee and canned tomatoes.

Now, if I could just get that one thing mastered, I'd be in great shape. But without that one thing, none of the rest matters too much.
Well, until we got a new dog, I was doing treadmill time at the gym... 1/2 fat burn 1/2 cardio... 2.5- 3.5 mph incline by heartbeat on the treadmill. Then 10- 20 reps on the various weight machines.

Now, I just walk the dog for an hour... Once he's settled, I'll go back to the gym.

I had a friend who used to say eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper.... I kinda do that, too.

I always wondered if we just installed lipo ports on fat peolle and sucked them back down to normal size every couple years , how much blubber would that be?

Back in the day countries used whale fat for lights and heat and all sorts of stuff, got to be more tons of fat walking the streets than how many whales were caught back in the day.

Wonder how much energy is out there just jiggling around?

Dang. You must hate the taste of coffee more than I do, something I wouldn't have guessed possible. :D
Nah... I just drank three 12cup pots a day by myself.... 36 teaspoons of sugar= 600 calories a day.

I'm down to 2 pots, no sugar.

See, I died in a motorcycle accident some 35years ago... At the time, cigarettes and coffee kept me vertical and ambulatory... As I aged, I had to cut back... I quit smoking... And reduced my coffee intake.

Makes me act more like a 65 year old... You know..... Slowed me down a bit.

He pretty much does all those things already. Again it's not an overall weight problem, just specific problem areas.

I always wondered if we just installed lipo ports on fat peolle and sucked them back down to normal size every couple years , how much blubber would that be?

Back in the day countries used whale fat for lights and heat and all sorts of stuff, got to be more tons of fat walking the streets than how many whales were caught back in the day.

Wonder how much energy is out there just jiggling around?
Man a trip through Walmart any day would yield enough rendered fat to heat my house for a year.
I'm amazed at the body size of youth compaired to 70 years ago .
Back in the forties Dad would load mother us 3 kids himself in a J-5 Piper Cub and away we would go.
I was 6 , sisters aged 8 and 10 .
Really doubt it could happen with todays family of 5 in a J-5.

My cardiologist keeps telling me I have arteries of a 20 year old...

Reminds me of that line from the Addams Family movie. "He has his father's eyes....give them back!!"

Seriously, congrats on the weight loss and healthier living. :) I need to lose a few myself, but it's hard when carbs form the base of my food pyramid.

He pretty much does all those things already. Again it's not an overall weight problem, just specific problem areas.

Does your friend (wink wink) know how to cook Tri-Tip by chance? Asking for a friend :D

Back