Your fat removal services...

Calories in, calories out, at the most basic level, is true. Having said that, two issues with that simplistic statement;
1. As others have stated, different metabolic rates and other factors make the "calories out" quite variable between individuals.And if you want to get real technical, some of the "calories" get pooped before being digested. Some folks digestive systems are more efficient than others. That's one reason why some people can eat whatever they want and barely gain weight.,
2. How a "Calorie" is actually measured is not an exact science. You basically "burn" food in a lab and measure the heat it generates. There are some scientists that have tried to adjust the formula for the difference between carbs, protein and fats. Still far from an exact science. So the notion that you can count calories eaten and subtract calories of exercise, plus base metabolic rate is a bit simplistic.

Calories in, calories out, at the most basic level, is true. Having said that, two issues with that simplistic statement;
1. As others have stated, different metabolic rates and other factors make the "calories out" quite variable between individuals.And if you want to get real technical, some of the "calories" get pooped before being digested. Some folks digestive systems are more efficient than others. That's one reason why some people can eat whatever they want and barely gain weight.,
2. How a "Calorie" is actually measured is not an exact science. You basically "burn" food in a lab and measure the heat it generates. There are some scientists that have tried to adjust the formula for the difference between carbs, protein and fats. Still far from an exact science. So the notion that you can count calories eaten and subtract calories of exercise, plus base metabolic rate is a bit simplistic.

Excellent point. Alcohol is a good example. Your body cannot process alcohol calories (as in the alcohol itself) for energy or fat storage. It may have other properties that can affect fat accumulation and water retention, but not due to the calorie content itself.

Again, this is simple enough that even you can understand it. If you consumer more calories than you burn you gain weight. Period. If you consume less you loose weight. The actual quantity of that caloric amount will vary from person to person. Less in smaller individuals, less in women. I can't imagine a way to determine it other than empirically. Then again, determining it is actually quite simple. You decrease calories in until you start loosing weight. Once you do you are below the floor of your needed calories. You boost you caloric intake until your weight stabilizes. At that point calories in equals calories out.

You have to eat less of highly caloric foods, more of low caloric foods. A good example, I'm without my lunch vegetables this holiday season. Just haven't had the time and opportunity line up to get them for the last week. I've been taking serving of pretzels. Boy am I hungry, and I should be. I can't eat as much mass in pretzels as I can in carrots, since pretzels are more densely caloric. So I get hungry.

In a way I have an advantage that can be used by few. I walk to work, so I don't need to carry a wallet. If I've no cash I can't buy food, all I can eat is what I brought. Of course, I have to be very disciplined when I get home (hard to do with lots of yummy holiday stuff around, which would explain my holiday weight gain. It'll come off...).
How can we believe anyone that doesn't know how to spell "lose"? I'm beginning to think you do it on purpose to annoy me.

I have read several stories in the past few months about a bunch of vegans that are switching back to meat because they are tired of feeling weak and sickly and anemic.

Back