Steelers v Browns

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
anybody catch that fight last night??
Crazy end to an otherwise ok game.

Myles Garrett is suspended for the rest of the season without pay for that.

I continue to wonder why anybody still watches professional football or college football for that matter. Three hours of commercials interrupted by a boring sport

Last edited:
I continue to wonder why anybody still watches professional football or college football for that matter. Three hours of commercials interrupted by a boring sport
"A boring sport", lol. GTFO with that. It may not be a continuous stream of uninterrupted play, but the game itself is exciting and complex. There are a number of moving parts to every play, even if it looks mundane on the surface. Baseball can be boring, but if you know what you're looking at, there's always something going on for every single pitch. Soccer is pretty continuous, but can be boring because there isn't typically much scoring.

I'd argue that Ice Hockey is about the only sport that keeps moving at a pretty phenomenal pace, but many people call it boring, too.

The game itself was pretty good, glad Baker got another win. Glad to see Rudolph get some playing time with the Steelers, too. Rudolph supposedly got a groin shot in with his foot on a prior play, then decided he could man-up with a 320lbs defensive end and try to rip his helmet off. Rudolph found out quickly that he ain't a big enough boy to get chippy with a defensive lineman, and got clocked in the process. Now, Garrett too it too far when he swung Rudolph's helmet back at him, but up until that point it was probably just a usual scrum. Garrett not going to play the rest of the year for sure, which hurts the Browns and they need all the help they can get.

When you pull the guys helmet off and hit him in the head with it, the guy should be banned for life. In any other situation that would be assault with a deadly weapon.

I say ban any of the players that participated for life. There are plenty more people that would love a shot to be a pro player that could behave themselves on the field, and it would set a precedent that this behavior will not be tolerated.

I, for one, am glad to see such sports as professional foot ball and professional wrestling.

I mean would you rather have these guys hangin' around on street corners with nothing to do.??

When you pull the guys helmet off and hit him in the head with it, the guy should be banned for life. In any other situation that would be assault with a deadly weapon.

I don't know that you can apply that to "any other situation", lol. It's American football, a sport with roided-up guys trying to tear each other's head off most of the game. There have been many incidents where guys have thrown punches, stomped on un-helmeted heads, gouged eyes, or actively tried to knock a player out via concussion. It's a sport with many violent criminals that play. I doubt that a lifetime ban is necessary and doesn't fit the result of the incident. If Mason had been knocked unconscious or otherwise suffered a debilitating injury, then a ban could be discussed.

Rudolph was the one trying to rip off Garrett's helmet to begin with, he was just unsuccessful and Garrett returned the attempt with one of his own. Garrett should have just dropped Rudolph's helmet after he tore it off and nothing more would have been said. He crossed the "NFL Professionals" line, so he'll just have to pay with his wallet for the rest of the season. I doubt even Rudolph would recommend a lifetime ban.

I saw it - the QB isn't blameless, but there's no excuse for the helmet swing. Based on the reaction of his teammates, I don't think Garrett will be on that team anymore.

Not the first ejection of that game, either. Another Browns player was tossed for headhunting bad enough the receiver was bleeding from his ear.

You don't have a DVR (yet)?????

I just fast forward through the commercials and sometimes through the slower parts of the game.

Rudolph needs to learn not to pick fights with guys who are big enough to rip his head off and hit him with it. ;)

We solve that problem by recording all sporting contests in which we have an interest using our VCR. Zapping through the commercials opens your eyes to just how much time is wasted looking at them in real time.

Bob

I only have a passing interest in professional sports. I'll root for the home team, but I seldom spend time sitting watching tv for any reason. I'm always on the go doing something.

We solve that problem by recording all sporting contests in which we have an interest using our VCR. Zapping through the commercials opens your eyes to just how much time is wasted looking at them in real time.Bob

Go to youtube and search NFL and you can get a condensed 12 minute highlights that is a little better than trying to catch highlights on NFL Network with all the talking heads.

Personally, I prefer hockey better as non-stop play ....

After the Browns left Cleveland I stopped watching the NFL. The teams are just playthings for uber rich guys, the players often don't like or even live in the cities in which they're team is based. Nothing to root for except maybe Green Bay, which is municipally owned.

College football is a different deal. They play with heart, and once a Buckeye always a Buckeye. I love college football.

77f307b0794c7b051592ccc17bad22ee.jpg

Somedays I wonder why the hell I own a TV.

Some joe blows on youtube have way better channels to watch.

I enjoy watching football. Very much. So much so that I continued to watch it despite my opinions of Kapernick's "movement." The sport is a very strange mix of almost chess-like strategy combined with the raw physicality of "team boxing." I do, very much, miss the days when great atheletes on the field and the coaches on the sidelines valued good sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct. I LOVED Tom Landry... still the best coach of all time in my eyes. The constant dancing, mugging, chest-thumping, endzone choreography, in your face trash talk, coaches yelling obscenities, arguing with refs vehemently... all of that stuff reduces the game's appeal to me. Having said that, it's still a very exciting game to watch.

The commercials have many VERY important, useful purposes. Beer Replenishment Opportunities. Designated Bladder Relief Segments. Spirited Discussion of Past and Future Tactic Suggestions Between Viewers. When the commercials interfere with said discussions, we've found the Mute Button to be a Valued Device.

We watched the entire game last night, and enjoyed it immensely. Well... we turned it off with about a minute left after Randolph threw his last interception. Missed the fight. Perfect... glad we did.

Must be something in the Ohio NFL Locker Room Water or Air with this Buffoon and Vontaze Burfit of the Cincinnati Beagles getting suspended periodically for dirty play.

Not interested in any pro sports anymore except minor league baseball where kids are trying hard to make it to the bigs where they can get paid tons of cash for about 30 minutes of effort a day. Hockey can be fun to watch.

The NFL and NBA have been of zero interest to me for a couple of decades.

I’m into any college sport. 99+% of the kids playing won’t be pros and give it their all for their teammates and fans.

Cheers

I continue to wonder why anybody still watches professional football or college football for that matter
"A boring sport", lol. GTFO with that. It may not be a continuous stream of uninterrupted play, but the game itself is exciting and complex. There are a number of moving parts to every play, even if it looks mundane on the surface. Baseball can be boring, but if you know what you're looking at, there's always something going on for every single pitch. Soccer is pretty continuous, but can be boring because there isn't typically much scoring.

I'd argue that Ice Hockey is about the only sport that keeps moving at a pretty phenomenal pace, but many people call it boring, too.
Sorry, I am used to rugby. You may have heard of it. No sissy pads. No sissy helmets. No light beer commercials. Continuous play. 3 or 4 rules.

"A boring sport", lol. GTFO with that. It may not be a continuous stream of uninterrupted play, but the game itself is exciting and complex.

Perhaps, for the easily entertained. Like those that go to Disneyland as an adult without the kids.

I continue to wonder why anybody still watches professional football or college football for that matter

Sorry, I am used to rugby. You may have heard of it. No sissy pads. No sissy helmets. No light beer commercials. Continuous play. 3 or 4 rules.

I have, and you should watch the reaction of rugby players watching the big NFL hits and their opinions. The hits in rugby are nowhere near as violent.

Last edited:
I knew some Rugby players in my youth. They always looked like they had just been in a fight.

Years ago, in my early 20s, I worked in a home improvement store that also had a lumberyard. I managed the inside stuff, and another guy managed the yard. I was about 130 pounds soaking wet at the time, 5'8", and the yard guy was about 6', 230 pounds, mostly very solid. Very nice, easy-going guy. He played rugby every weekend, and invited me to a game. I went, and enjoyed it and the hang after. The next day in the store he said, "Hey, you should come play with us!!" The only answer I could come up with was, "WHY?!?!?!???!?!"

I knew some Rugby players in my youth. They always looked like they had just been in a fight.

Rugby has the constant movement of hockey and soccer with a raw (no pads) physical effort of football. I played rugby for many years and still do some, playing in an old boys tournament next month. The hits in football probably can be viewed as "harder" at times since the tackler has pads/helmet. lets face it, turning your body into a missile is easier with pads on. Oh, and there is the wrap rule and no tackles above the shoulder that help keep rugby safe. I found rugby to be more mental than football, don't get to stop every 3.5 seconds to discuss with your teammates what you are going to do and you have to play offense, defense special teams without any breaks or stoppage. And the social aspect of rugby should not be ignored. Only organized sport I played where the home team is expected to host the away team after the match, and I can't ever remember seeing any animosity spill over from the game to the after party.

Anyway, back to original post. The game last night was interesting. The kerfuffle at the end was overblown in my mind, was anyone hurt? As for who started it, garrett or Rudolph, i guess it depends on if you think garrett made a late hit on Rudolph? Or was it the tone of the game that led up to it as there were some big hits that took players out earlier in the game that would have been the conversation today had that slap fight at the end not occurred.

.. And the social aspect of rugby should not be ignored. Only organized sport I played where the home team is expected to host the away team after the match, and I can't ever remember seeing any animosity spill over from the game to the after party.
That was exactly my recollection. Soccer is a gentleman's game played by hooligans, and ruby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen. To a man, everyone on the field was cordial and truly enjoyed the company of everyone on both teams.

...As for who started it, garrett or Rudolph, i guess it depends on if you think garrett made a late hit on Rudolph?.
I didn't see ANY room for discussion there, now that I've seen the replays. The issue was not that Garrett hit Rudolph late... he didn't really hit him much at all on initial contact, but just wrapped him up. The issue is that after Rudolph threw the ball, Garrett did not release him, but just kept wrestling him to the ground for no reason. It happened slowly... it wasn't one of those plays where, in slow motion, it looked egregious but in real-time you could see how the player wouldn't have been able to back off. This was a decision on Garrett's part.. "Rudolph's going to the ground, I don't CARE that he doesn't have the ball." Rudolph should have remained calm and not wrestled back, but there is no WAY he instigated any of this. Of course, the three Steeler linemen shouldn't have beat the crap out of Garrett while he was lying on the ground either. All in all.... everything I hate about today's players, and nothing I love about the game.

I'd love to see everyone who uses profanity and/or exhibits poor sportsmanship of any kind, and obviously who intentionally assaults another player outside of the rules of the game, thrown out of the sport immediately... player or coach. If you're a thug (and I'm using that to describe behavior, not ethnicity. Thuggishness knows no racial or ethnic boundaries, and has an unfortunate presence in all peoples), you don't deserve to play, much less get paid millions.

And the social aspect of rugby should not be ignored. Only organized sport I played where the home team is expected to host the away team after the match, and I can't ever remember seeing any animosity spill over from the game to the after party.
Since there's only about 2 dozen guys who play to sport total I bet you have to be nice to all of them.

What is this football thing of which you speak?
....and it’s on television? Not the television I watch.

What is this football thing of which you speak?
....and it’s on television? Not the television I watch.

There's only so many episodes of the Golden Girls and Murder She Wrote.

In my youth, I had a bumper sticker, “Give Blood-Play Rugby”.

The socializing after the Match was truly epic, especially when some of the UK Blokes would bring Worthington E or other good British beer.

Cheers

Since there's only about 2 dozen guys who play to sport total I bet you have to be nice to all of them.

It is a smaller community. If you have never watched (assuming you are a sports person since you commented on a sports topic) check it out. The world cup just ended so that was probably the best of the best. In the US, the Eagles have international matches around the country from time to time. There is also major league rugby depending on where you live. And then there are the local leagues as well as collegiate. Certainly not as commercial as the big US sports so if that is your thing probably not worthwhile.

Last edited:
I have, and you should watch the reaction of rugby players watching the big NFL hits and their opinions. The hits in rugby are nowhere near as violent.
In my youth, I played both,(one year student exchange in NZ) I would beg to differ.

When we lived in Cincinnati, we used to refer to the "Football player arrest of the week". Still applies, I think.

In my youth, I had a bumper sticker, “Give Blood-Play Rugby”.
I prefer the one that says, "Rugby Players Eat Their Dead."

(The airliner crash in the Andes a while ago, where the survivors survived by cannibalism, involved a rugby team.)

Ron Wanttaja

Soccer is a gentleman's game played by hooligans, and ruby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen. To a man, everyone on the field was cordial and truly enjoyed the company of everyone on both teams.
This made my day.
I quite enjoy watching rugby. It looks fun. They certainly don’t seem to be out to kill each other.

Back