Safety pilot in NC area

Jacque

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jacque
Hello everyone,
I recently finished my private and plan to work straight through for my IFR and CPL starting in September 2019.

I have rented a PA28 for 100 hours and plan to fly all over the country. This will meet the cross country and PIC requirements but the hood time is the problem. To get to the 40 total hours needed I will need to get another 22 hours and so I need a safety pilot.

So if anyone in the NC area is interested in building some hours I'd love to have you along.

I am picking up the plane in Fayetteville, but I can go anywhere between there and Raleigh(or within reason of these areas) to pick someone up.

Hello everyone,
I recently finished my private and plan to work straight through for my IFR and CPL starting in September 2019.

I have rented a PA28 for 100 hours and plan to fly all over the country. This will meet the cross country and PIC requirements but the hood time is the problem. To get to the 40 total hours needed I will need to get another 22 hours and so I need a safety pilot.

So if anyone in the NC area is interested in building some hours I'd love to have you along.
I can't tell from your post. Do you know that those 40 hours include at least 15 hours of dual and most people need more? And that some of the cross country hours will include the required dual IFR cross country?

Or have you gotten all the instrument instruction you need already and are just practicing procedures for the checkride?

I can't tell from your post. Do you know that those 40 hours include at least 15 hours of dual and most people need more? And that some of the cross country hours will include the required dual IFR cross country?

Or have you gotten all the instrument instruction you need already and are just practicing procedures for the checkride?

Yes. In these 100 hours I will still require another 20ish hours to meet the 250 hour minimum for CPL so I have those leftover hours if needed for work with a CFI.

I am committing everyday for the next 6 months to completing the IR and CPL. I could need more than the 40 but it won't be substantial if I am flying some hood time daily with a CFI while getting the 15 required dual hood hours.

Again my entire plan is to take a month and do all the cross country and time building. Then immediately do all my IFR flight training and then go straight into CPL flight training.

I feel that doing 8-10 hours a day 7 days a wewk studying and flying will prevent the need for excessive amounts of remedial training.

Yes. In these 100 hours I will still require another 20ish hours to meet the 250 hour minimum for CPL so I have those leftover hours if needed for work with a CFI.

I am committing everyday for the next 6 months to completing the IR and CPL. I could need more than the 40 but it won't be substantial if I am flying some hood time daily with a CFI while getting the 15 required dual hood hours.

Again my entire plan is to take a month and do all the cross country and time building. Then immediately do all my IFR flight training and then go straight into CPL flight training.

I feel that doing 8-10 hours a day 7 days a wewk studying and flying will prevent the need for excessive amounts of remedial training.
Understood. You are going the combined/quick succession instrument/commercial route. Just one caution if I may.

One deals with "excessive amounts of remedial training." The most efficient use of a safety pilot for the instrument rating is to practice what you have been taught by a CFII. You are moving from the limited short-term emergency scan of the non-instrument pilot to the efficiently sustained one of the instrument pilot. Even if your scan is decent for extended periods, basic aircraft control is only about 10-20% of instrument flight. 80-90% is about procedures and the rules which apply to them. If you try to knock out the required hood time for the instrument rating before getting started with a CFII, it may well take longer to earn the rating. That's because there is a good chance you will be practicing some things incorrectly and will require remedial training to unlearn bad habits.

I'm based at RDU and happy to help. Also instrument rated, so would have no problem getting you some time in actual if it comes up (though this time of year most actual is also convective around here).

Agree with the others that dual sim/real IMC time is most effective to practice after at least getting a good sense of how to fly procedures with a CFII. I did a lot of my IMC time dual with a safety pilot, and some of those flights were just 12 different approaches at 5 different airports in a big loop somewhere, but that's not something I'd recommend until you've got the structure of briefing approaches etc.

That being said, there's definitely something to be said for real cross country flight when the weather is marginal VMC or IMC, and having an IFR safety pilot along is a good way to do that without worrying so much about minimums.

Understood. You are going the combined/quick succession instrument/commercial route. Just one caution if I may.

One deals with "excessive amounts of remedial training." The most efficient use of a safety pilot for the instrument rating is to practice what you have been taught by a CFII. You are moving from the limited short-term emergency scan of the non-instrument pilot to the efficiently sustained one of the instrument pilot. Even if your scan is decent for extended periods, basic aircraft control is only about 10-20% of instrument flight. 80-90% is about procedures and the rules which apply to them. If you try to knock out the required hood time for the instrument rating before getting started with a CFII, it may well take longer to earn the rating. That's because there is a good chance you will be practicing some things incorrectly and will require remedial training to unlearn bad habits.

Yes. I was hoping to do some initial training (as much of the 15 hours as possible) with my CFI and then do the 20 hours with a safety pilot to practice what the CFI had taught me.

I'm based at RDU and happy to help. Also instrument rated, so would have no problem getting you some time in actual if it comes up (though this time of year most actual is also convective around here).

Agree with the others that dual sim/real IMC time is most effective to practice after at least getting a good sense of how to fly procedures with a CFII. I did a lot of my IMC time dual with a safety pilot, and some of those flights were just 12 different approaches at 5 different airports in a big loop somewhere, but that's not something I'd recommend until you've got the structure of briefing approaches etc.

That being said, there's definitely something to be said for real cross country flight when the weather is marginal VMC or IMC, and having an IFR safety pilot along is a good way to do that without worrying so much about minimums.

Thank you so very much for the offer. I am planning to start my IR training with the CFI from October 1 so if you have any availability in October it would be greatly appreciated.

Also I am using Gleim to prepare for the IR written. Are there any other study materials you have used or would recommend?

Back