Prop repair

that data may be use to gain approval, it is not in its self approved data.
Our FAA will not approve a field approval for repairing props where the manufacturers repair instruction exists.
They are in fact forbidden to do that.

that data may be use to gain approval, it is not in its self approved data.

I never said it was.

I would be more concerned with the engine than the prop, FWIW. ;)

No shortage of IAs willing to sign off condition inspections in C TX.

There is no shortage of IAs willing to lend their signature on EABs with engines and accessories taken off their original TCDS.
Condition inspection does not require IA...
Any A&P may do it.

Or the repair person for the N
That is such a clear statement of who else may do the inspection.
Try explaining it using correct terminology. Since I can buy an EAB and fix and replace items, I would be "the repair person" but I couldn't do the annual inspection.

I think the implied meaning "the holder of the repairman certificate for that N number" was clear enough.

Sure I can do anything I want all year long but, not being the builder, I need a signature from one of the three once a year,

Technically though, are there IA's that are not A&P's?

There are A&P's who are not IA's.

Yeah but I the owner decide if the engine is comporting with the TC anymore or not. All I have to do is "modify it" and poof, no longer TC. The only part where the retainment of TC status is relevant is if I attempt to resale the component to a buyer who intends to use it on a certified application.
If you were given the 15 hour credit for using a certified engine/propeller, you may have to burn off 15 hours solo, and that engine is no longer TC'd.

the second the engine is hung on an EAB it is no longer a TC'd engine. however, the FAA takes the position that any AD's still apply. you want to fight the FAA go right ahead. I find it easier to just do the AD's.

Real world data point:
Back in the olden days, when homebuilts were built at home and John Thorp (with no "e") came out with the T-18...
It was a common thing to install an aluminum prop that had been cut down from the original length. No problem with the FAA, paperwork, TC's, etc. etc. etc.
But. as it turns out, the typical choice of prop had a resonance near the typical cruise rpm after being cut down. Wasn't too long before props shedding blades. Some failures resulted in the engine parting company with the airframe - results were fatal.

I think the implied meaning "the holder of the repairman certificate for that N number" was clear enough.

Sure I can do anything I want all year long but, not being the builder, I need a signature from one of the three once a year,

It's clear to you and I, but not to one new to aviation and home-building. We do get some of those people visiting here. The statement was unclear to someone without the background knowledge to understand the context.

It's clear to you and I, but not to one new to aviation and home-building. We do get some of those people visiting here. The statement was unclear to someone without the background knowledge to understand the context.
Glad we’ve got you ensuring everyone communicates clearly enough to satisfy your arbitrary standard. Be a real mess here without it.

Do you have to prove it, or do you have to find an IA who will sign something saying it is?
In order for any engine to be installed in a TCd aircraft it must conform to its TC. That includes engines that sat stored in the corner of the hangar for years, bought used, or removed from an experimental. An A&P, IA, or DAR can all conform the engine which would require a logbook sign off stating that conformity or in the case of the installing mechanic his signature implies the work performed is in accordance with the FARS, i.e., the engine used was serviceable.

FYI: an IA is an authorization vs a certificate. An A&P can only apply for that authorization after working 3 years minimum as an A&P. In order to keep his IA current, he must also perform X number of specific works/training each quarter over a 2 year period and then renew his IA every other March. The last ratio I read showed 3 out of 10 A&Ps had their IA.

hung on an EAB it is no longer a TC'd engine. however, the FAA takes the position that any AD's still apply.
Technically the engine never loses its TC, it only loses its conformity to the TC. As to the AD issue with E/AB: only if the AD applicability statement indicates it applies to "all" or specifically requires E/AB compliance does the AD apply. There is various guidance on this from ACs to Orders. The determining factor is the airworthiness status (AWC) of the aircraft at time of AD review.

Some engine ADs have a catch all statement, saying this AD applies to ALL engines of this type installed in any aircraft.
Or words to that effect.
The one that comes to mind is the Continental crank shaft AD

anyone thinking an AD does not apply to any engine installed in a E/AB had better read the AD very carefully

Glad we’ve got you ensuring everyone communicates clearly enough to satisfy your arbitrary standard. Be a real mess here without it.
Always happy to help! Avoids many arguments if people try to communicate clearly.

At what point does a name brand engine ceases to be a name brand engine and becomes a "my last name LLC" engine ? Honest question.

At what point does a name brand engine ceases to be a name brand engine and becomes a "my last name LLC" engine ? Honest question.

Never. My Lycosaurus will always be a Lycosaurus O-320. Just like overhauls don't change the make/model of the engine.

The airframe, on the other hand, gets a data plate and that is the answer unless/until it gets a new data plate and AW.

Never. My Lycosaurus will always be a Lycosaurus O-320. Just like overhauls don't change the make/model of the engine.

The airframe, on the other hand, gets a data plate and that is the answer unless/until it gets a new data plate and AW.
I thought the same thing, that sufficiently large modifications to the engine allowed someone the "rebrand" or "rename" the engine. Maybe I'm thinking if someone built the engine from a bunch of parts? An engine block they bought from someone, crankshaft from another source, new cylinder heads, etc. I honestly don't know.

I've often wondered the same. The engine can be outfitted with several non-OEM parts, but still retain its Lycoming/Continental branding. Kind of interesting.

I've often wondered the same. The engine can be outfitted with several non-OEM parts, but still retain its Lycoming/Continental branding. Kind of interesting.

Here's a wrinkle. My o-320 was orginally 150hp, but was upgraded to 160hp, but is still a Lyc O-320 and it's dataplate says 160hp.

Here's a wrinkle. My o-320 was orginally 150hp, but was upgraded to 160hp, but is still a Lyc O-320 and it's dataplate says 160hp.

So taking your example, O-320s under STC (one for the engine, one for the airframe installation in the case of certified cans) can be modified (high comp pistons essentially) in order to up the HP (others have provisions on the original TCDS to have two HP ratings based on RPM limits). But EAB installations do not require STCs in order for these modifications to take place though. So if I decide not to use "PMA parts" for said piston swap for instance, calling these cylinder assemblies say "hindsight 10.1 BEEFCAKE! pistons", is it really a "Lycoming O-320-X(N)Y" anymore? Doesn't seem like so to me when I'm installing non-conforming parts or accessories into/onto it. Thence ADs no longer apply it would seem? I dunno, I'm just asking.

Ditto for C/S prop ADs. Hindsight C/S props never have ADs. :D

As stated above, never. You would have to clean sheet design an entire engine to brand it yours, but it would be interesting how that method would work with a DAR/ASI when it came time get an AWC and fly.

When you remove the data tag and certify the E/AB with having the new type engine, with a data tag that says it is your EXP engine

As stated above, never. You would have to clean sheet design an entire engine to brand it yours, but it would be interesting how that method would work with a DAR/ASI when it came time get an AWC and fly.
I now of a Fairchild owner that registered his aircraft as experimental, then removed the data tag from a Ranger 440 and registered the aircraft with his own brand engine so he could run tractor parts in his engine.
FAA bought it all.
The F-24 that I owned had two certifications running at the same time when they did the STC to remove the 145 horse and convert it to a 165 horse Warner.

a Fairchild owner that registered his aircraft as experimental,
But that experimental certificate you refer to is different than a E/AB experimental certificate. With a E/AB he wouldn't need to "rebrand" his engine to run tractor parts as Part 43 is not applicable. With the Fairchild exp. certificate Part 43 is applicable. Also, if an AD came out applicable to all Ranger 440s he would more than than likely have to comply as as most ADs state "as modified, altered, repaired" which would be this owner's Ranger. You can pull the data tag and put whatever tag you want on an engine but it doesn't change things as there is no E/AB rules for engines only aircraft and its inclusive to everything installed on that aircraft.

But that experimental certificate you refer to is different than a E/AB experimental certificate. With a E/AB he wouldn't need to "rebrand" his engine to run tractor parts as Part 43 is not applicable. With the Fairchild exp. certificate Part 43 is applicable. Also, if an AD came out applicable to all Ranger 440s he would more than than likely have to comply as as most ADs state "as modified, altered, repaired" which would be this owner's Ranger. You can pull the data tag and put whatever tag you want on an engine but it doesn't change things as there is no E/AB rules for engines only aircraft and its inclusive to everything installed on that aircraft.
I think you missed the point, with a new data tag that says it is Joe's exp engine. it is no longer a ranger.
Unless an AD came out specific to Joe's engine it would not apply.

with a new data tag that says it is Joe's exp engine. it is no longer a ranger.
Not quite. As someone usually says around here, got a reference or regulation for that? In the eyes of the FAA its a Ranger 440 modified/altered into a Joe's engine with tractor parts and no longer conforms to its TC. No different than a O-320 modified with Autozone parts. It's still a Lycoming with or without the data tag. TCd engines in E/AB do not follow the same path as Non-TCd engines. So if you don't want any ADs install a VW or a Briggs engine and name it what you want.;)

Not quite. As someone usually says around here, got a reference or regulation for that? In the eyes of the FAA its a Ranger 440 modified/altered into a Joe's engine with tractor parts and no longer conforms to its TC. No different than a O-320 modified with Autozone parts. It's still a Lycoming with or without the data tag. TCd engines in E/AB do not follow the same path as Non-TCd engines. So if you don't want any ADs install a VW or a Briggs engine and name it what you want.;)
once the Ranger (manufacturer's) data tag is removed it is no longer a TCed engine.
21.9. once Joe placed his data tag on he becomes the manufacturer.

Last edited:
once the Ranger (manufacturer's) data tag is removed it is no longer a TCed engine.

That's another one of those ****in matches that you do not want to get into with the faa. They say otherwise and they will win.

That's another one of those ****in matches that you do not want to get into with the faa. They say otherwise and they will win.
When you build Antique Engines you get into these Pizzing contests with FSDO because many used off the shelf parts made by the standard auto parts manufacturers
perfect Circle for example, Federal Mongule for another. The Original manufacturer like Warner, Ranger are no longer in business to provide parts.
The quickest and easiest method to do that is become the engine manufacturer with a new data tag, and the EXP certificate.

Last edited:
When you build Antique Engines you get into these Pizzing contests with FSDO because many used off the shelf parts made by the standard auto parts manufacturers
perfect Circle for example, Federal Mongule for another. The Original manufacturer like Warner, Ranger are no longer in business to provide parts.
The quickest and easiest method to do that is become the engine manufacturer with a new data tag, and the EXP certificate.

So I assume it goes in experimental r&d? thats where it belongs as it is reasearching non approved engine parts.

The data tag does not determine whether the engine conforms to its TC, rather it's the airworthiness status of the aircraft its installed. Put that Ranger in a E/AB with its data tag and it's still doesn't conform or in your words "it is no longer Tced". But it was still manufactured under a TC/Type Design and was modified/altered into Joe's Super Engine.
Part 21.9? So are you saying the engine is an "owner produced" part?? That's the only way he can be a manufacturer. But I thought you said in an earlier posting that an owner can't manufacture a part that already existed like throttle cables??? But considering we're talking about E/AB aircraft Part 21.9 is not applicable like Part 43. Regardless, for Joe to claim 21.9 he would need to use an approved method and last I checked Ford tractor parts were not PMA'd, TSO'd, or STC'd. But if you're willing to sign off that install or annual on Joe's Fairchild so be it.

The data tag does not determine whether the engine conforms to its TC, rather it's the airworthiness status of the aircraft its installed. Put that Ranger in a E/AB with its data tag and it's still doesn't conform or in your words "it is no longer Tced". But it was still manufactured under a TC/Type Design and was modified/altered into Joe's Super Engine.

Part 21.9? So are you saying the engine is an "owner produced" part?? That's the only way he can be a manufacturer. But I thought you said in an earlier posting that an owner can't manufacture a part that already existed like throttle cables??? But considering we're talking about E/AB aircraft Part 21.9 is not applicable like Part 43. Regardless, for Joe to claim 21.9 he would need to use an approved method and last I checked Ford tractor parts were not PMA'd, TSO'd, or STC'd. But if you're willing to sign off that install or annual on Joe's Fairchild so be it.
I think you are wrong. That data tag, is who built this engine. When the Engine is designated as E/AB it can be built from any parts, because it no longer must adhere to a Type certificate.

Been thru this with 4 different engines 2 Warners, a Ranger, and a Franklin. all placed on aircraft clones with E/AB certificates.

No data tag, no Type Certificate. no matter what it looks like.
The Data tag tells us what TC it was built under. No Data tag, no TC.

sorry tom there is no such thing as an EAB engine. the EAB class is for the aircraft see far21.9

(g) Operating amateur-built aircraft. Operating an aircraft the major portion of which has been fabricated and assembled by persons who undertook the construction project solely for their own education or recreation.

a formerly t/c aircraft can never be registered in the EAB class. only E R&D or for showing compliance to obtain a STC or prove major design changes.

(a) Research and development. Testing new aircraft design concepts, new aircraft equipment, new aircraft installations, new aircraft operating techniques, or new uses for aircraft.

(b) Showing compliance with regulations. Conducting flight tests and other operations to show compliance with the airworthiness regulations including flights to show compliance for issuance of type and supplemental type certificates, flights to substantiate major design changes, and flights to show compliance with the function and reliability requirements of the regulations.

I think you are wrong. That data tag, is who built this engine. When the Engine is designated as E/AB it can be built from any parts, because it no longer must adhere to a Type certificate.

Been thru this with 4 different engines 2 Warners, a Ranger, and a Franklin. all placed on aircraft clones with E/AB certificates.

as long as the aircraft were new builds, built for recreation and education they can be EAB with anything they want as an engine. but, as bell206 has shown no matter what the data plate does or does not say the FAA considers the engine made by the original manufacture and if and AD says all even if modified or altered that AD will apply.

as long as the aircraft were new builds, built for recreation and education they can be EAB with anything they want as an engine. but, as bell206 has shown no matter what the data plate does or does not say the FAA considers the engine made by the original manufacture and if and AD says all even if modified or altered that AD will apply.
Not really, read 21.15 &16
you are actually making an application for a TC,
21.15 Application for type certificate.
(a) An application for a type certificate is made on a form and in a manner prescribed by the FAA.

(b) An application for an aircraft type certificate must be accompanied by a three-view drawing of that aircraft and available preliminary basic data.
(c) An application for an aircraft engine type certificate must be accompanied by a description of the engine design features, the engine operating characteristics, and the proposed engine operating limitations.
21.16 Special conditions.
If the FAA finds that the airworthiness regulations of this subchapter do not contain adequate or appropriate safety standards for an aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller because of a novel or unusual design feature of the aircraft, aircraft engine or propeller, he prescribes special conditions and amendments thereto for the product. The special conditions are issued in accordance with Part 11 of this chapter and contain such safety standards for the aircraft, aircraft engine or propeller as the FAA finds necessary to establish a level of safety equivalent to that established in the regulations.

Basically you'd apply for a type certificate for a E/AB engine as you would for the aircraft its self.
(c) An aircraft engine manufacturer who is a United States citizen and who has altered a type certificated aircraft by installing different type certificated aircraft engines manufactured by him within the United States may apply for a Class I provisional type certificate for the aircraft, and for amendments to Class I provisional type certificates held by him, if the basic aircraft, before alteration, was type certificated in the normal, utility, acrobatic, commuter, or transport category.

remember the TC of the aircraft is a E/AB.
a type certificate is still a type certificate.
Remember also FAR21has a great deal to say about changes to a type certificate, and provisional type certificates.
It's a long paper trail and you usually end up back in the type certificate, even when altered.

Back