{NA} Will Sales tactics ever modernize?

Grum.Man

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Grum.Man
I absolutely despise dealing with sales people. I realize in some cases they have their place like when I don't know what I want/need (which is rare). But when I send an e-mail explaining that I want a quote for a particular model and your reply is "Give me a quick call so we can discuss", you sir will not be getting my business. I hate talking on the phone in the first place, leads to a bunch of pointless chit chat and exchange of pleasantries that neither of us really mean. If I explicitly spell out what tool I need as in for work, or car I want if personal, there is nothing else to discuss until I see a price.

Rant over!

Agreed. Had a vendor try to reach out to me for a renewal so many times that I started to think about how I could not use this vendor going forward. Only so many hours in a day, leave me alone.

I absolutely despise dealing with sales people. I realize in some cases they have their place like when I don't know what I want/need (which is rare). But when I send an e-mail explaining that I want a quote for a particular model and your reply is "Give me a quick call so we can discuss", you sir will not be getting my business. I hate talking on the phone in the first place, leads to a bunch of pointless chit chat and exchange of pleasantries that neither of us really mean. If I explicitly spell out what tool I need as in for work, or car I want if personal, there is nothing else to discuss until I see a price.

Rant over!
They want you to call, because they are much smarter than you are, and they know what you really need to buy from them instead of that cheap thing you're looking for. Just accept it. :rolleyes:

If it can’t be done by text or E Mail, I’m usually not interested.

Been in sales my whole life. If someone emails, it is usually a way to keep space between themselves and the salesperson. That's fine with me. The goal should be to build a rapport through email, and get them to trust you enough to have a conversation.

Once you have their trust, only then can you bring the hammer down and screw 'em over.

Ok, just kidding about the last part.

It won’t change because it works, however a good salesman won’t make it painfully obvious

When I sold cars I didn’t call past customers, we’d send a simple Christmas card but that was about it. Now the people who wanted to do everything over the phone or email were often super cheap and really not worth my time.

We later had a Internet sales person, she exclusively did the phone and email stuff, she’d sell a ton of cars each month, waaay more than me, I don’t think I ever saw her standing still, however her commissions check come pay day was always a good bit lower than mine.

Last edited:
Sirius XM bugs me all the time about renewing. I might have gone back if they didn’t keep upping their rates and then charged me a disconnect fee. iPod and free local station now work fine.

Sirius XM bugs me all the time about renewing. I might have gone back if they didn’t keep upping their rates and then charged me a disconnect fee. iPod and free local station now work fine.

Same here though I want pay for it simply because it sucks, the sound quality is poor at best. They and OnStar are relentless.

We later had a Internet sales person, she exclusively did the phone and email stuff, she’d sell a ton of cars each month, waaay more than me, I don’t think I ever saw her standing still, however her commissions check come pay day was always a good bit lower than mine.

If she was good at sales then she would have negotiated a salary and bonus rather than be paid on commission.

If she was good at sales then she would have negotiated a salary and bonus rather than be paid on commission.

Sounds like subsidized stuff, always thought a good sales person should be able to stand on their commissions.

She wasn’t starving or anything, kinda upped middle of the road as far as all the sales folks went as far as memory goes

Same here though I want pay for it simply because it sucks, the sound quality is poor at best. They and OnStar are relentless.

The dealer was pushing OnStar big time when I bought my Volt. After my free trial ended, I never renewed and haven’t heard a thing from the OnStar people. I was thinking about renewing but they’ve got horrible online reviews. Too expensive and it seems like 90% of what they provide can be done with a smart phone.

The dealer was pushing OnStar big time when I bought my Volt. After my free trial ended, I never renewed and haven’t heard a thing from the OnStar people. I was thinking about renewing but they’ve got horrible online reviews. Too expensive and it seems like 90% of what they provide can be done with a smart phone.

The only thing I will miss about OnStar is the connected app that lets you remote start from your phone. To a lesser degree the built in Navigation will no longer provide traffic and route updates without OnStar. I can use my phone for that through CarPlay but being able to use the phone and get Nav is nice.

Sounds like subsidized stuff, always thought a good sales person should be able to stand on their commissions.

She wasn’t starving or anything, kinda upped middle of the road as far as all the sales folks went as far as memory goes
Now that I think about it I suppose she could earn her commission on up-sells. I take back what I said about the salary and bonus.

Really I’m doing the sales people a favor by not wasting their time if they are over priced. When I bought my car the net difference from lowest to highest dealer including my trade in was 10k. Why waste each other’s time when you are that much higher. As for work, I’m often just getting feeler quotes to see if it’s a feasible investment. As difficult as it is to justify capital there is no reason to hash a bunch of details out until I get the money approved.

Anytime I'm looking to buy something I post it to PoA. We are experts on how to spend other people's money. I guess that makes us "closeted salespeople."

:happydance:

“Call me so I can explain to you why our prices are higher than everyone else’s”

Rant over!

"Would you like fries with that, sir?" :p

It's gotten to the point where I think phone calls are rude. My phone no longer accepts messages either. Text or eMail.

For the airport I use Google Voice................which was MADE for me!!

when I send an e-mail explaining that I want a quote for a particular model and your reply is "Give me a quick call so we can discuss", you sir will not be getting my business.

Even with email, that model might not be available by the time your email gets there.

Latest one I've had is places I bought stuff from calling me back a year later to "see how I'm doing". Of course I answer in case they are calling me about a factory recall or something like that. May have to stop answering the phone altogether soon.

It's gotten to the point where I think phone calls are rude. My phone no longer accepts messages either. Text or eMail.

For the airport I use Google Voice................which was MADE for me!!
Wow that’s a strong position. You referring to all phone calls or just sales calls?

I hate cold calls trying to drum up business. If I need a new widget, I'll call you. Calling me every few months is not going to suddenly make me need to buy something. I have your number, I'll call you.

Worse is a company that I have never done business with, that still thinks I'm a customer. I don't even need the equipment they are selling.

Unfortunately with my job I get a lot of legit calls from all over the country, so I can't afford to ignore calls from other area codes.

Bought my last two cars over text message. “Shopping” for my third one now. Only spent an hour in the dealership to sign paperwork. Spent maybe two hours negotiating via text message, probably less, but more importantly at my leisure, not wasting a day being pressured. Maybe count another hour to take the wife to sit in the car before final decision.

Bought my last two cars over text message. “Shopping” for my third one now. Only spent an hour in the dealership to sign paperwork. Spent maybe two hours negotiating via text message, probably less, but more importantly at my leisure, not wasting a day being pressured. Maybe count another hour to take the wife to sit in the car before final decision.

Several dealerships lost a potential sale because they refused to answer e-mails promptly and completely. Nothing ****es me off more than sending in an e-mail with a bunch of questions for the response to just include a vehicle description and a short note asking how I may help you. I ended up selling my car to a local dealership that was by far the best dealership I have ever dealt with and bought the new car at a dealership 400 miles away. The place I bought my car was very slow to respond but had such a good price and the color combo I liked that I looked past it. I guess they figured I was blowing smoke since I was so far away.

I stumbled into a guy that gets it. What surprised me is how good a deal I got over text. I literally wasn’t planning on buying one of the vehicles new, but I sent him a “hey if you can get me that truck for xxxx, I’m interested, lowering the price below what I thought was possible, and he actually went a tiny bit lower than that. I’d wished I’d gone in lower. Lol

And no sitting there feeling stupid waiting for him to pretend to go talk to the sales manager. Eventually I’d get a text back with the info. No being rushed into accepting a mediocre deal just because you don’t want to waste your whole day.

Last car purchased was via email up to the point when they fedexed me the title. They had their sale 10 minutes into the transaction while a dozen others tried the 'give me a call' spiel.

Text, emails and "vending machines" are all fine for negotiating prices, but before I know what I want to drive every day for the next decade, I have to go out and drive the options.

When a deer took out my wife's car (it went sideways across the hood, impacting the fender at the front tire), she really, realky wanted a Ford Fusion. Until she sat in one. She insists she is not a "car person," but that test drive lasted two blocks, most of it discussing where to go next.

The negotiation, after settling on an Altima, was simple. While enjoying a soft drink alone in the sales guy's office, I looked up the car on Kelly Blue Book. Whe he returned with his "best price," I put on my best surprised face and said "gee, that's nice, but you're still way above Kelly." After a rather lengthy delay allowing us bith to finjsh our beverages, he came back again and threw the paper across the table to us, a couple of hundred below KBB's value. And hour later, everything was filled out and signed.

You have to be just as careful with that part as with the pricing. I read every single document, top to bottom. One dealership financing person gave me abiut the eighth "sign this" form, stating that they didn't have to spend more than $200 fixing scratches and dents. She almost lost it when I tore it into little pieces and started to make another one. She couldn't believe me when I said, "I'm not buying that car at any price until it looks right. I don't care what it costs you. Or sell it to someone else." I didn't budge, kept my serious face and a clipboard and form appeared from nowhere; we walked out to the car and marked everything that needed fixing right there in that new form. Two days later, it looked like a new car despite being 18 months old (the oldest car I've ever bought).

I still hate the stupid games that car dealers play, so I drive my cars forever to minimize my exposure to those cretins.

Cold sales calls? Depending on my mood at the time, I either tell them to get lost or play along, ask for lots of information on models and options, until I get tired or run out of time.

I have complained to more than one clothing store manager when, in mid-winter, there are only short sleeve shirts for sale. When I buy clothes, my goal is not to take them home and look at them for several months while waiting for the weather to change so that I can wear them. Does this have an effect? If enough of us complain enough times, and wait until warm weather before buying warm weather clothes, it will.

Text, emails and "vending machines" are all fine for negotiating prices, but before I know what I want to drive every day for the next decade, I have to go out and drive the options.

When a deer took out my wife's car (it went sideways across the hood, impacting the fender at the front tire), she really, realky wanted a Ford Fusion. Until she sat in one. She insists she is not a "car person," but that test drive lasted two blocks, most of it discussing where to go next.

The negotiation, after settling on an Altima, was simple. While enjoying a soft drink alone in the sales guy's office, I looked up the car on Kelly Blue Book. Whe he returned with his "best price," I put on my best surprised face and said "gee, that's nice, but you're still way above Kelly." After a rather lengthy delay allowing us bith to finjsh our beverages, he came back again and threw the paper across the table to us, a couple of hundred below KBB's value. And hour later, everything was filled out and signed.

You have to be just as careful with that part as with the pricing. I read every single document, top to bottom. One dealership financing person gave me abiut the eighth "sign this" form, stating that they didn't have to spend more than $200 fixing scratches and dents. She almost lost it when I tore it into little pieces and started to make another one. She couldn't believe me when I said, "I'm not buying that car at any price until it looks right. I don't care what it costs you. Or sell it to someone else." I didn't budge, kept my serious face and a clipboard and form appeared from nowhere; we walked out to the car and marked everything that needed fixing right there in that new form. Two days later, it looked like a new car despite being 18 months old (the oldest car I've ever bought).

I still hate the stupid games that car dealers play, so I drive my cars forever to minimize my exposure to those cretins.

Cold sales calls? Depending on my mood at the time, I either tell them to get lost or play along, ask for lots of information on models and options, until I get tired or run out of time.

I have complained to more than one clothing store manager when, in mid-winter, there are only short sleeve shirts for sale. When I buy clothes, my goal is not to take them home and look at them for several months while waiting for the weather to change so that I can wear them. Does this have an effect? If enough of us complain enough times, and wait until warm weather before buying warm weather clothes, it will.
Not when there are women doing most of the clothes shopping. They shop for clothes they can’t wear right away all the time.

We are having a worsening problem of vendors 'dropping by' in the hopes of seeing us. (I do most my work in 'the back', with a receptionist out front).
If you come out here and don't check first I could well be working on something I can't stop for 2 hours,....or even gone on vacation!
We are 3 hours from the nearest city, I just can't imagine driving that far without at least making a quick call to see if we are open, if the people you want to talk to will be around.
I am happy to go out of my way to clear a place for vendor visitors, so that your trip won't be wasted - so call or send a message!

The companies that have figured out how to make online sales work are the smart ones. I don't mind talking on the phone so long as it's getting to the point and not trying to talk me into something I don't want when I make it clear "I don't want this." That was part of why I bought my Ram at that dealership near @Grum.Man . They've got it figured out. Way less money than anyone local, easy dealing over the phone, good incentives to make me go with them. Easy, no hassle, happy with the truck. Would buy another from them.

The local dealers... not so much.

Also am I the only one here who like to haggle in person?

I mean it’s quite fun, the negotiation goes faster numbers wise and the dealer feels a sense of urgency with you being there. I probably could have got the same deal on the car I got a few months ago via text or email or some other such, but where’s the fun in that, I’m a people person and I love to haggle.

The place I bought mine has a no haggle price which I normally dismiss because you can almost always get them cheaper by doing some haggling. Not this time, they basically came off the price of the car 3k on top of the rebates and incentives.

As far as work goes, I was looking at a battery powered impact gun that you can digitally set a specific torque output on. The TQ I need is 160 ft/lbs, the website said the particular model I asked to be quoted would do 50-250 ft/lbs and was 1/2" drive like I needed. Pretty cut and dry but nooooooo the sales guy wanted to talk about what I "needed".

I mean it’s quite fun, the negotiation goes faster numbers wise and the dealer feels a sense of urgency with you being there. I probably could have got the same deal on the car I got a few months ago via text or email or some other such, but where’s the fun in that, I’m a people person and I love to haggle.
I hate people. But I buy cars on a whim, so I'm a salesperson's dream.

As far as work goes, I was looking at a battery powered impact gun that you can digitally set a specific torque output on. The TQ I need is 160 ft/lbs, the website said the particular model I asked to be quoted would do 50-250 ft/lbs and was 1/2" drive like I needed. Pretty cut and dry but nooooooo the sales guy wanted to talk about what I "needed".

Dude needs to work on his customer control, back when the Prius had a 6k gross profit ($1500 to the sales guy) I was able to move people from all sorts of cars, and even some trucks, into the Prius. It’s like mental wrestling

Dude needs to work on his customer control . . . It’s like mental wrestling

This customer doesn't like being "controlled;" trying too hard to do so results in me leaving and spending my money elsewhere, whether it's a single $10 item or a house.

On the other hand, I practice saleman control to minimize the above, which is a waste of my time.

Honestly I'd rather just order a car from an amazon-like website where the listed price is the price and have it delivered/pick it up rather than have to deal with walking a salesman to what I'd already decided on before I showed up.

I used to negotiate contracts for a living. Typically very large and complex - I think the most I was ever involved with was $3B a year for 6 years and many in the $600-800M range. I absolutely hate buying a car. I have yet to meet a car salesman, GM or anyone else associate with the sale that can figure out their azz from a hole in the ground when it comes to negotiation tactics, strategies and skills. They are beyond terrible. The single and sole exception is the multi-line dealership in Kellogg, Idaho. Grew really large based on internet and phone sale - so large that people flyin all over the country to buy Dodge Vipers, etc. The price you pay is the same price everyone else pays and well below other dealers. They don’t screw around, talk you in or out of something although if you are uncertain about this model or another they will work with you. What I like is they are probably just as impatient with tire kickers as those of us who hate the way some dealers work. The only downside to these guys is the limited lines they carry.

Back