Daily Pic

Heading south towards Norfolk Virginia, the layer finally opens up. I had to finish up my five solo hours in the Debonair for insurance. Ocean City MD, KOXB - Coastal Carolina NC, KEWN. http://gmflightlog.blogspot.com/2018/06/solo-requirement-completed.html

34367442_10155197017151330_5405057715988856832_n.jpg

Last edited:
actually I've kinda always wanted to do that. pretty awesome?
Eman, it was cool. My wife and son loved it. As I said, I am new so I was a combination of "head on a swivel" and worrying about Class Bravo even though I was probably 1000 feet below it....

This means nothing to most long time pilots, but his 6 week licensed pilot ducked under the ATL Bravo and circled Stone Mountain with his family...

View attachment 63981 View attachment 63982

I graduated from Stone Mtn. High School many years ago. Worked at the Mtn. as a kid and nicked up to the top many times. There use to be an airport on the east side Stone Mtn. Airport that is gone now when they had the Olimpics. Flew in a PT19 owned by Benny Britt the last I have seen the plane was in a museum in Macon Ga.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/GA/Airfields_GA_Atlanta.htm#stonemtn

First trip to Catalina as a licensed pilot.
I love going there, but every time I land and pay the $25, I get outraged at the appalling quality of the runway there. When inquired the gentleman in the tower about when/if ever they are going to fix the runway, he just shrugged his shoulder... makes me sad, it seems ownership doesn't care about the quality of the runway :(

it seems ownership doesn't care about the quality of the runway :(
They don't have the money. The runway needs to be repaved and that costs millions. Their $25 a pop landing fee probably just keeps the lights on. They don't get any money from the feds. It would be nice if someone were to start a go fund me campaign for a new runway. Even then I wonder if they would get enough to do it considering how many people complain about the landing fee.

My CFII texts me, lets go up tomorrow, it’s gonna be ****ty all day. A little wet work during ifr training. Spent 2.5 hours in the slop. Happy to say most of my ifr training so far is IMC.

Attachments

• C382104F-4D75-4742-A2CD-69C2A0E82FF8.jpeg
    C382104F-4D75-4742-A2CD-69C2A0E82FF8.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 55
CFCADFBC-98A3-4636-88A7-ECBE356D095A.jpeg

Trying to pick my way through the clouds and get home during a nice lunch flight yesterday. I always look in awe at clouds when near them. It’s one of the best parts of flying!

They don't have the money. The runway needs to be repaved and that costs millions. Their $25 a pop landing fee probably just keeps the lights on. They don't get any money from the feds. It would be nice if someone were to start a go fund me campaign for a new runway. Even then I wonder if they would get enough to do it considering how many people complain about the landing fee.
Then again, maybe they wouldn't complain about the price so much if the runway weren't so crappy.

But even so, Airnav shows them averaging 45 ops/day. Even if that doesn't include the locally based planes, that would be $1,125/day in landing fees. At that rate, it would take over 2 years to collect the first million, which probably wouldn't even cover the feasibility study.

Then again, maybe they wouldn't complain about the price so much if the runway weren't so crappy.

But even so, Airnav shows them averaging 45 ops/day. Even if that doesn't include the locally based planes, that would be $1,125/day in landing fees. At that rate, it would take over 2 years to collect the first million, which probably wouldn't even cover the feasibility study.
those numbers are probably juiced. Airnav shows 159 a day at TUP, and it's a very sleepy delta...

Nuthin' like a short late afternoon flight to restoreth the soul. :) A reward for doing some light Mx on the aircraft.

Surprisingly smooth air considering it was blowing 16 kts when I landed, pretty much straight down the runway. A bit of smoke in the San Gabriels from the Piru fire.

IMG_2949.jpg

Non-Aviation but I was able to meet one of my TV crushes this evening on set of FastMoney. (The one to my left in case you were wondering). :D

A very surreal moment to say the least.
8585613B-D9AE-4445-BAE0-FBFB5961411A.jpeg

Oh right, should've picked right up on that 'pink' shirt! :(

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back