Only two-thirds of Millennials believe the Earth is round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me google that for you:
https://wiki.tfes.org/Frequently_As...you_explain_day.2Fnight_cycles_and_seasons.3F

SunAnimation.gif

How do you explain day/night cycles and seasons?

An animation of the day/night cycle in FETDay and night cycles are easily explained on a flat earth. The sun moves in circles around the North Pole. When it is over your head, it's day. When it's not, it's night. The light of the sun is confined to a limited area and its light acts like a spotlight upon the earth.
If the earth is flat, what's a pole?

If the earth is flat, what's a pole?

Magnetic or geographic?

The magnetic pole would be meaningful in a flat world. After all, you can buy a permanent magnet that’s flat.

A geographic South pole is hard to rationalize, though, if you look at the diagram in my previous post, where Antarctica is reduced to a giant circular coastline at the outer edge of the world.

You all know that 99% of all statistics are made up right?

What, you mean Terry Pratchett wasn't correct when he described a...

a flat disc balanced on the backs of four elephants which in turn stand on the back of a giant turtle, Great A'Tuin.

I suspect there is a significant overlap between flat earthers and the chem trail crowd.
How do you know that chem trails aren't causing people to join the Flat Earth Society? Those chem trails might be causing everyone to become even dumber. It explains a lot!

Well, if it explains a lot, it MUST be true! ;)

How do you know that chem trails aren't causing people to join the Flat Earth Society? Those chem trails might be causing everyone to become even dumber. It explains a lot!
If Darwin is correct, humans will get better looking, dumber, and sicker. It kinda looks like the dumber thing is proceeding along. . .

They are jerking your chain. Funny that so many don't know it.

My generation seemed thoroughly convinced that Uri Geller could bend cutlery with his mind.

They are jerking your chain. Funny that so many don't know it.

I feel the same about the chemtrail folks and sites. I think a rather large percentage are people who don’t believe in it but keep it going for fun.

I found the two comments at the end of the article in the OP kinda interesting.

First, rappers and athletes are leading the new flat earth movement.

Second, the guy who tried to prove it by launching himself into space failed because his “steam-powered” rocket didnt work.

There’s a lot of scientific thinkin’ going on here.

I found the two comments at the end of the article in the OP kinda interesting.

First, rappers and athletes are leading the new flat earth movement.

Second, the guy who tried to prove it by launching himself into space failed because his “steam-powered” rocket didnt work.

There’s a lot of scientific thinkin’ going on here.

Well those two groups are not exactly high up on my list of intelligent folks. :frown2:

If I had a nickel for every time "ole fogies" picked on the younger generation I'd be rich.

Wait a minute.........

or foogies
or foogys
or however you spell it

I feel the same about the chemtrail folks and sites. I think a rather large percentage are people who don’t believe in it but keep it going for fun.
I was seriously questioned by a woman that I worked with at one time.

While some may just be having fun with it, it's pretty clear that a lot of people believe the rantings of the likes of Alex Jones, that 9-11 was an inside job, Obama was born in both Kenya and Indonesia, etc. Heck, one guy even showed up with a gun to rescue the children that Hillary had been keeping captive in the basement of a Pizza Parlor...

Remember Jade Helm!

I was seriously questioned by a woman that I worked with at one time.

While some may just be having fun with it, it's pretty clear that a lot of people believe the rantings of the likes of Alex Jones, that 9-11 was an inside job, Obama was born in both Kenya and Indonesia, etc. Heck, one guy even showed up with a gun to rescue the children that Hillary had been keeping captive in the basement of a Pizza Parlor...

Remember Jade Helm!

Oh you certainly have gullible fools who will believe practically any sort of nonsense especially if it is presented to them in a pseudo intellectual fashion with a conspiracy attached to it to play on their fears. However I still maintain that the loudest voices and the leaders in it are mostly nonbelievers who are having fun and even making money on it through their talk shows and book deals.

Oh you certainly have gullible fools who will believe practically any sort of nonsense especially if it is presented to them in a pseudo intellectual fashion with a conspiracy attached to it to play on their fears. However I still maintain that the loudest voices and the leaders in it are mostly nonbelievers who are having fun and even making money on it through their talk shows and book deals.
The problem is, they're not all gullible fools. Some are intelligent folks with college degrees. An old friend of mine, gone west about 7 years ago, who had a degree in ecology, tried to convince me that the WTC destruction was a government job. Another old Michigan friend is now a leader in the anti-vax movement in the midwest. Her trigger was having a child who developed autism a few months after receiving the DTP vaccine. I think that humans have a tendency to develop blind spots in their critical thinking, often in reaction to some emotionally devastating experience. I don't think any of us is immune. We may be highly evolved apes, but we are still, at the end of the day, just apes.

Hard to imagine that anyone who has ever been to the beach and watched a ship appear or disappear over the horizon could think the earth is flat.

Why do we need chemtrails if we have public schools and CNN ?

Hard to imagine that anyone who has ever been to the beach and watched a ship appear or disappear over the horizon could think the earth is flat.

It's just the mist that obscures the ship, you know...

Or for that matter, who has ever traveled south or north and noticed how the angle between Polaris and the horizon changes. You would have to think the stars are a heck of a lot closer than they are, to think the shift was due to parallax.

Interestingly, the way ships disappear over the horizon was apparently NOT one of Aristotle's arguments that the Earth is round. Change in the visibility of stars with north/south travel was one of his arguments; the other was the shape of the Earth's shadow on the Moon during eclipses.

Maybe he didn't spend much time at the seashore? :dunno:

But yes, educated people even in the middle ages knew the Earth was round. I tend to agree with @SkyDog58 that most Flat Earthers are doing it for shock value, entertainment, or money.

And the dude did successfully launch himself with a steam powered rocket, got up to several thousand feet with it. I saw the number 350 mile an hour, though I’ve no idea how that was verified.

Still, the guy designed and built a steam powered rocket on whatever he could afford on a limo driver’s salary. He’s my hero. The fact that someone professes to believe something outlandish does not automatically make them a blithering idiot.

I think the problem is that millennials live in a world where the government is always lying to them, and science is a guessing game (reference global warming if you'd like).

So they're going their own way here, based on what they themselves can observe, not what those they know are lying to them are telling them they've observed.

I can't blame millennials, honestly. They're wrong about this, but why trust science that is politically motivated and full of lies anyway?

The idea that science is politically motivated seems to be an article of faith with some. :rolleyes1:

Science is not politically motivated, but acquisition and retention of lucrative government grants for directed research surely is.

QED.

Science is not politically motivated, but acquisition and retention of lucrative government grants for directed research surely is.

QED.

Most Scientific grants go through a confidential peer review, i.e. the reviewed usually don't know who's reviewing them. The ones in which I've been involved focused obsessively on the scientific issues involved, such as how clever and novel was the approach and what were the chances that the investigator would be able to complete the proposed experiments. I have to admit, the bar might have been higher had the hypothesis appeared outlandish, but usually you don't see outlandish conclusions without lots of supporting evidence. If someone thought they could prove there really was no effect of human activities on climate, they'd need some data to back themselves up, but I doubt anyone would gainsay it. If someone could prove there was no anthropomorphic climate change they could publish in the best journals easily. Please don't tell me it isn't so, I personally overturned the decade-old dictums of a large branch of my own field in one paper. We has little trouble publishing it and less getting it funded.

Most Scientific grants go through a confidential peer review, i.e. the reviewed usually don't know who's reviewing them. The ones in which I've been involved focused obsessively on the scientific issues involved, such as how clever and novel was the approach and what were the chances that the investigator would be able to complete the proposed experiments. I have to admit, the bar might have been higher had the hypothesis appeared outlandish, but usually you don't see outlandish conclusions without lots of supporting evidence. If someone thought they could prove there really was no effect of human activities on climate, they'd need some data to back themselves up, but I doubt anyone would gainsay it. If someone could prove there was no anthropomorphic climate change they could publish in the best journals easily. Please don't tell me it isn't so, I personally overturned the decade-old dictums of a large branch of my own field in one paper. We has little trouble publishing it and less getting it funded.
After the peer review and recommendations, who actually approves the money that will be spent on each project? Scientists or politicians?

After the peer review and recommendations, who actually approves the money that will be spent on each project? Scientists or politicians?
There is no one single source for research money. There is no one single process for approving and funding research proposals. Funding from private industry can start with someone (usually a senior executive) saying we have this problem which needs solved... Public sector funding is a little different. It can come from any level with the Feds being the biggest source. Congress holds the purse strings on Federal funds and bureaucrats administer those funds, usually working within program guidelines. The influences on the programs can be a real crapshoot.

1. There is no one single source for research money. There is no one single process for approving and funding research proposals. Funding from private industry can start with someone (usually a senior executive) saying we have this problem which needs solved... Public sector funding is a little different. It can come from any level with the Feds being the biggest source. Congress holds the purse strings on Federal funds and bureaucrats administer those funds, usually working within program guidelines. The influences on the programs can be a real crapshoot.
    I’m not concerned with privately funded research.

I’m not concerned with privately funded research.
That’s nice. If you have some sort of agenda then just go ahead and state it rather than playing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back