What do you all talk about?

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
so I always wondered this.

What do airline pilots talk about when they are in cruise enroute to their destination ?
Are you all able to have any sort of non work related conversation because everything is recorded on the black box?

Can you talk about Hookers and such or would that be un professional. Ok just kidding here.

Above 10k' we can talk about anything we want. Hopefully you don't get stuck with a non-conversationalist on a long flight. I had a guy that barely spoke to me from New York all the way to San Diego - brutal.

Typical topics: work, family, school, previous flying, hobbies, cars, women, contract, layover specifics...

When I was flying 135, Luckily I had a good pilot I flew with. So the topics were hooker, girls we banged stories, debauchery. It was fun. Then I flew with the lame pilots that only talked about flying, airplanes, family. Those were loooong flights. Very boring. To each thier own.

Hahahaha, what are the odds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same shet as that everyone else talks about. Hopefully you get along with each other, otherwise a looong 3-4 day trip.

Last edited:
In the olden days in ATC, everything you said was recorded and I mean everything. So if you're talking about your latest sexual conquest last night to your buddy and an emergency or an incident happens where they have to make a transcript of the ATC recordings - 5 minutes before and 5 minutes after, its on the transcript.

Now only if you key up and transmit on a radio or a landline is it recorded. Idle conversations aren't anymore.

Above 10k' we can talk about anything we want. Hopefully you don't get stuck with a non-conversationalist on a long flight. I had a guy that barely spoke to me from New York all the way to San Diego - brutal.

Typical topics: work, family, school, previous flying, hobbies, cars, women, contract, layover specifics...

Ix-nay on the contract-nay!

You’re going to end up triggering some doofus sooner or later who’s insanely over the top Union rah-rah or the opposite direction saying anything about the contract-nay!

Ziiiiiiiiip it!!! Or you’re going to hear nothing but that crap for the next three hours in the air and it won’t stop on the crew bus either. LOL. :) :) :)

(Or so I’ve heard.)

That is a classic. Yeah, he offended a lot of folks. Now that just got recorded and known because he had a stuck mic. Makes you wonder how many other instances there are of the same type behavior that aren’t picked up by a stuck mic.

I’ll tell you one thing though, most airline pilots are pretty tight lipped when someone else is in the cockpit. As maintenance I’ve jumpseated numerous times and when I have, talk seems to be minimal, courteous, and professional. I would like to think that is the norm but of course, I have no way of really knowing.

As maintenance I’ve jumpseated numerous times and when I have, talk seems to be minimal, courteous, and professional. I would like to think that is the norm but of course, I have no way of really knowing.

Well we usually discuss and cuss mechanics, so yeah, gonna be a minimal conversation situation. ;) :)

I sort of thought that.

I just hope you are least a bit kinder to us then the dick above was to the cabin staff.

Well I wasn't serious 'Dog. I had the utmost respect for those guys and gals, and our maintenance people were very competent.

Ix-nay on the contract-nay!
I didn’t say it was a recommended topic, I just said it was common/typical. When I was a new hire I had to stop what was amounting to a shouting match about the contract between the other FO and our captain. They were ruining everyone’s afternoon - sitting in the sunshine drinking a beer at a canal side cafe in Copenhagen. Some people can find a way to foul up almost anything.

Not airlines, but I'm friends with all the crew, so we can say pretty much anything we want to each other, typically chicks, beer, guns, outdoors, government nonsense, standard stuff.

Way different era, but a friend of mine used to fly Beech 99s for a regional and said they'd get so bored that they'd start quizzing each other about everything on the sectional. I think there are still places where he knows the height of every hilltop in the area.

In the olden days in ATC, everything you said was recorded and I mean everything. So if you're talking about your latest sexual conquest last night to your buddy and an emergency or an incident happens where they have to make a transcript of the ATC recordings - 5 minutes before and 5 minutes after, its on the transcript.

Now only if you key up and transmit on a radio or a landline is it recorded. Idle conversations aren't anymore.
If you fly an airplane with a CVR, everything is recorded. That would include airline and 135 airplanes requiring two pilots. Did that stop me from saying whatever I wanted? No. I almost never remembered it was recording. However, I remember, way in the past, flying with someone who would reach up cover up the cockpit mic when he said something he didn't want recorded.

Late one night about 8 or 9 years ago I was "channel surfing" and came up on two pilots for a regional that were repositioning planes. One of the pilots was not very pleased at all with a policy the company had implemented. I mean he was not happy at all and was being very vocal about what he thought of the new policy, the person that came up with the new policy and the company.

I listened for several minutes, then I finally broke in saying something like, "You should be careful, you don't know who might be listening."

Not another word was heard after that.

I'm always amused by the people who seem to have no awareness of how radios work, and seem to get really offended when they figure out that someone is listening to them transmit on an open frequency.

Late one night about 8 or 9 years ago I was "channel surfing" and came up on two pilots for a regional that were repositioning planes. One of the pilots was not very pleased at all with a policy the company had implemented. I mean he was not happy at all and was being very vocal about what he thought of the new policy, the person that came up with the new policy and the company.

I listened for several minutes, then I finally broke in saying something like, "You should be careful, you don't know who might be listening."

Not another word was heard after that.

Guarrrrrrrd

The old adage is that airline pilots talk about women when flying and about flying with with a woman.
I don't disagree with that one. ;)
Well, to be fair... talking about women when with a woman is, in most cases, not a path to happiness and success.

We talk about everything, usually at some point the conversation of we got into this will come up, everyones got their own story so that's always a neat little conversation. But as mentioned above, whatever topics come to mind! In all my airline there was really only one guy whom was pretty quiet, and i find that can be quite boring so i was convinced to engage him in a conversation, i just started rambling off topics, i said "submarine" and who would of guessed the dude loved submarines and then a conversation about those ensued which then went to boats etc.

Sometimes its just about finding what common ground you two have. Sometimes you only fly one flight with the guy, sometimes you spend a multiple day trip with them. I have never found myself not being able to occupy a few days worth of conversation!

Well, to be fair... talking about women when with a woman is, in most cases, not a path to happiness and success.
Well now you're just making ... um ... plane sense. (pun intended)
That won't be tolerated on this board.
Mooooooooooooooooooooom!!!!!!!!!!!
Your gross violation has been reported to the moderators, expect a ban shortly. :D

Back