The phrase "With You"

He
I’m sure someone will dig out the recommended phraseology after this post to show I’m wrong, but I truly don’t see the need to say “level”. It’s altitude leaving (climbing or descending) then altitude cleared to, or just an altitude if level.
I'm with you on that level thing, ain't necessary. I could care less if you're doing barrel rolls as long as you are at the right altitude

I have tried to become a student and master of standard phraseology on frequency...cuz here is what I discovered...most of my flying is to and through the busy airspace of Southern California and the more competent you are on radio and the more confidence the controller has they you are not just a weekend wally the more lenient and agreeable they are when you need a request. I have been cleared for things when on the same frequency I hear other getting denied cuz they are a bumbling mess in their transmissions.

Now I am not sayin "with you" separates the wallys from the jet jockeys...but sticking to proper phraseology does not go unnoticed in my experience.

To each his own, but I have developed such an aversion to "...with you" even when I get "Skylane 345, change to my frequency xxx.xx" and I change and respond with "SoCal, Skylane 12345 with you on xxx.xx" which would be appropriate since it is not a handoff I die a little inside!

Last edited:
I hear "checkin in at 5" or whatever altitude every once in awhile. Sounds to cool for me.

I seem to be adding a we're lately, even by myself. As in "were at 7k to papa 1 niner" Gotta work on losing that.

Just a quick check. What does the phrase "with you" signify in communication with ATC?
I get the impression that it is not standard terminology, but am only guessing that it might mean a request for flight following or something?

It means, "I'm not some bozo that just called in out of the blue, but I'm one of those specks on your screen." But it doesn't take as long to say.

If you're just starting out or starting over, there is something to be said for sticking to standard phraseology. People assume you mean exactly what you say. No more, no less.
If you use non-standard phraseology, it CAN imply a certain background or perspective which becomes part of the message. The implied message may be you're an experienced pilot, or one with military background, or an airline pilot or glider jock, whatever. Someone may make an assumption (they shouldn't, but they might) about your background, experience, competence and so forth that you didn't mean and that might affect how they act, for example if you in the pattern, on approach, etc.. Not your fault, but in the interest of clear,concise communication.......

Pretty much right on the money. For me it was mainly that I definitely did not want to invoke some procedure or protocol without being aware of it. But I've got it now. It's not official, and it doesn't imply anymore than "with you" which is redundant.

I was told not to use level unless u are above 18000.k
You were told wrong.

Straight from the AIM:

2. The following phraseology should be utilized by pilots for establishing contact with the designated facility:
(a) When operating in a radar environment: On initial contact, the pilot should inform the controller of the aircraft’s assigned altitude preceded by the words “level,” or “climbing to,” or “descending to,” as appropriate; and the aircraft’s present vacating altitude, if applicable.

EXAMPLE−
1. (Name) CENTER, (aircraft identification), LEVEL (altitude or flight level).
2. (Name) CENTER, (aircraft identification), LEAVING (exact altitude or flight level), CLIMBING TO OR DESCENDING TO (altitude of flight level)

Okay, I thought there was one case where "With You" was sort of standard (well, like 83% standard :)) and that is the initial call into flight services where you also state which frequency you called in on. I thought that was to help them as they have to queue up and handle several frequencies. So around here might be: "Princeton Radio, Skylane Romeo Eight Juliet with you on 122.25". I guess you could just say "Princeton Radio, Skylane Romeo Eight Juliet on 122.5". So far both instructors have taught with you, but only for initial call to FSS and in no other case.
I was taught, Princeton radio, November 007 transmitting on 123.5 ( and if required, listening on NAV). Everytime I said with u, my CFI gave me a look. Now I don't get that look anymore since he isn't I invited anymore. Trying to break that with u habit, but it's a hard one to break.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You were told wrong.

Straight from the AIM:

2. The following phraseology should be utilized by pilots for establishing contact with the designated facility:
(a) When operating in a radar environment: On initial contact, the pilot should inform the controller of the aircraft’s assigned altitude preceded by the words “level,” or “climbing to,” or “descending to,” as appropriate; and the aircraft’s present vacating altitude, if applicable.

EXAMPLE−
1. (Name) CENTER, (aircraft identification), LEVEL (altitude or flight level).
2. (Name) CENTER, (aircraft identification), LEAVING (exact altitude or flight level), CLIMBING TO OR DESCENDING TO (altitude of flight level)
I think I got confused, when I said level, I meant flight level, as in archer 007 climbing to flight level 5500. But I see it now, it refers to attitude of the plane...

I was taught, Princeton radio, November 007 transmitting on 123.5 ( and if required, listening on NAV). Everytime I said with u, my CFI gave me a look. Now I don't get that look anymore since he isn't I invited anymore. Trying to break that with u habit, but it's a hard one to break.

Your CFI was ether inexperienced, or didn't know what really is important and what isn't important. Want to talk pointless, saying what frequency you're on ;)

Your CFI was ether inexperienced, or didn't know what really is important and what isn't important. Want to talk pointless, saying what frequency you're on ;)
So what's going on then...is it a Midwest thing? I was also told to tell them which frequency you've called in on since they service several at the same time? Maybe someone who knows the behind the scenes at FSS can better explain this?

So what's going on then...is it a Midwest thing? I was also told to tell them which frequency you've called in on since they service several at the same time? Maybe someone who knows the behind the scenes at FSS can better explain this?

If they don't like how you sound on one frequency they will let you know, ether way, not really a big deal, but to add that frequency stuff but balk at "with you" is a little silly is all I'm saying

Yeah. Well a lot (most?) professional pilots use the phrase. As you said, it is harmless. I wonder why a few people make such a big deal about it.
Exactly. New pilots hear the pro pilots use it and it perpetuates.

Personally, I don’t use it, but it’s never really bothered me to hear it either.

In all honesty I hardly ever hear it. It seems as though it was more common some years ago.

Okay, I thought there was one case where "With You" was sort of standard (well, like 83% standard :)) and that is the initial call into flight services where you also state which frequency you called in on. I thought that was to help them as they have to queue up and handle several frequencies. So around here might be: "Princeton Radio, Skylane Romeo Eight Juliet with you on 122.25". I guess you could just say "Princeton Radio, Skylane Romeo Eight Juliet on 122.5". So far both instructors have taught with you, but only for initial call to FSS and in no other case.

“Listening 122.25 over X”. AFSS may have ten physical radio locations listening to your hypothetical 122.25 and they need not only the frequency but your location to pick the best TX/RX site to respond to you.

Otherwise they have to look and see which receiver is lighting up when you call.

And add “transmitting on” to it if you’re doing split frequency, say listening on a VOR... not a lot of that anymore but it’s still out there. I did it on purpose a couple of years ago crossing Iowa just out of fascination that I spotted a VOR on the route that had it, so I did a PIREP. Why not. Just puttering along in cruise and it gave me an excuse to get out the PIREP form and do one. Had been a while.

To each his own, but I have developed such an aversion to "...with you" even when I get "Skylane 345, change to my frequency xxx.xx" and I change and respond with "SoCal, Skylane 12345 with you on xxx.xx" which would be appropriate since it is not a handoff I die a little inside!

I shorten that one up to the tail number and frequency. I want to know the switch worked but the controller and I don’t have anything else to talk about at that point in time.

“Change to my frequency 123.45”
“123.45 Skylane 79M”
Flip radio...
“Skylane 79M up twenty-three forty-five.”

And the usual answer is...
“Roger.”

If it isn’t, flip flop back and figure out what I copied wrong. :)

Very fast and it’s done. “Up” isn’t standard phraseology for anyone but military pilots who aren’t flying lead, but it’s fast and works, and controllers “get it”.

Neither is “twenty-three forty-five” but I find it weird to recite the frequency twice in a row.

The Brits always say “decimal”. I can’t. It’s “point” for me if I even say it but usually I just omit it. The numbers work fine. :) :) :) Sounds cooler in their accent anyway.

It means, "I'm not some bozo that just called in out of the blue, but I'm one of those specks on your screen." But it doesn't take as long to say.

Everyone on the screen is just some bozo to them and a speck. Ask ‘em. LOL. No worries. :)

That one is because the Captain can’t remember if he’s in a cockpit or at the hotel. They just blur together. Usually only one has bedbugs though. :)
Yabut the other has crabs...

The passengers are on the other side of the anti-Terrorist anti-Crash-Fire-Rescue Door-of-Doom nowadays.

And don’t call them crabby. Management doesn’t like that. :)
I’m thinkin’ perhaps you have not experienced the full joys of working in a multi-crew environment.

We had an offshore rig contaminated by a crewman once...

Why pointless? They automatically know which frequency all the pilots is calling? Es0exially when there are multiple ones listed from the same location?

If they don't like how you sound on one frequency they will let you know, ether way, not really a big deal, but to add that frequency stuff but balk at "with you" is a little silly is all I'm saying
I think I will save another transmission by mentioning the frequency in my first call

If the controller says "change to my frequency xxx.xx" I'll make the switch and say "Bugdestroyer 666 is with you on xxx.xx"

Other than that... I don't say it.

And they put groceries in their boot. Those crazy Brits.

I sometimes check in with, "Cherokee 12345 with you, 6,000" and sometimes "Cherokee 12345, level, 6,000". And a lot of times, after being given a frequency change such as "N12345, contact Atlanta Center 125.05", I reply with "Twenty Five O Five, See ya", but do I ever really see them? Nope. While none of that is technically correct, it is also not overly wordy and gets the point across, what are they going to do? Take away your birthday?

"See ya later" is a funny one. Like, their shift is longer than my $100 hamburger run?

'With you' and 'atitppa' have never bothered me the slightest, not sure why.

'Got im on the fishfinder/tcas'...does bother me, also not sure why!

"N1234 level, flight level 200"

Here's one that does bug me.

KFTW is right next to KNFW. If departing KFTW to the West it is common to ask "is Navy active" meaning do I need to coordinate with them AND a quick hand off would be great. Works every time.

However... some ask it every time... and it bothers me. We're going SOUTH for Christ's sake, who cares if Navy is active?

Meh, so what? The also check "under the bonnet" for the oil level,

I wasn’t judging it. Just an example of style differences that don’t matter.

But I’ll never forgive them for (and the rest of Europe) killing Position and Hold, because we all know us naughty rebellious ungrateful Colonists needed to assume the position.

Sunday had flight following and was on with KC center. The controller was having a very casual conversation with another pilot on freq. I believe the other pilot was a controller as well. Probably would of made a majority of POA regulars start twitching...

Back