Bluetooth Headsets, what are they good for??

Grum.Man

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Grum.Man
Been seeing a lot of headset threads today so figured I would chime in with my own question. Everybody touts bluetooth now on their headsets. What exactly do you use it for?? It's not like you are going to have phone reception at 6k feet on a cross country. I have tried listening to music before but it cuts out for transmissions so frequently that it's really quite annoying and I turn it off. I suppose you could turn the radio off and just listen to your jams but I enjoy hearing the traffic more.

So is there something I am missing, some cool gadget that I am not aware of? Cell phone signal booster for making booty calls on the fly? Netflix and chill with the auto pilot?

Just music, in my case. And tablet EFBs can issue audio alerts for all sorts of things.

But me? I like music (or increasingly, audio books) on a long cross country. And I actually have used the bluetooth phone link. I like to call someone who's meeting me just before taking the active runway... cuts down the error in my estimate.

You can use it for a few things. Music is the obvious one. Also audio warnings from Foreflight(or others). Making calls to clearance delivery is less painful via BT/Headset with running engine.

Ok so it doesn't sound like I am missing out on much by not springing the extra $200.00 for the bluetooth option the Clarity Aloft Links to replace my f**ed up Halos.

My wife enjoys listening to music when we fly. I didn't think I would but once I started I liked it. On longer X/C's when their isn't much radio traffic, its nice.

Music in "karaoke" mode doesn't cut out with ATC transmissions, several of the BT headsets have the option of enabling that mode.

Out here on the east coast there aren't many frequencies that aren't congested. Unless I purposely find a frequency that has little traffic hearing music is pretty much non existent. If I am on flight following I don't really want to miss a radio call by having the music not mute. Guess I will stick to singing to my self.

Used to have music piped through the panel. Mrs. Steingar hated it since it muted every time there was a radio call.

Ok so it doesn't sound like I am missing out on much by not springing the extra $200.00 for the bluetooth option the Clarity Aloft Links to replace my f**ed up Halos.

I purchased the Bluetooth option for my Clarity Aloft and tried using it one time on a shorter flight and like you said, listening to music with radio calls are not easy. But If I am on a longer cross country I do enjoy listening to music if alone. I have not used flight following as of yet.

Annoying is listening to an audio book and google maps at the same time through a car's bluetooth speaker. I never noticed how much she talks. "In 2 miles..." "In a quarter mile"... "turn right"... "continue on.. for x miles" "You are on the fastest route" "There is a faster route that saves X minutes. If you do not wish to take this route, press decline now."

bleah.

Out here on the east coast there aren't many frequencies that aren't congested. Unless I purposely find a frequency that has little traffic hearing music is pretty much non existent. If I am on flight following I don't really want to miss a radio call by having the music not mute. Guess I will stick to singing to my self.

You learn to set the volume at an appropriate level and to perk up when you hear your tail number. I usually don't turn music on until I'm established in cruise, then it goes off as I'm getting into the "terminal" area near my destination. But with center, even on an IFR flight plan, I've had good luck setting a reasonable volume and just listening closely for my call sign.

Warning from EFB, record ATC conversation... Only with fllightlink app for lightspeed that I am aware of

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Music is the obvious one. Also audio warnings from Foreflight(or others). Making calls

Yes, those three things.

The one downside, my phone once rang as I started my takeoff roll. I was surprised. And it was loud, in my headset.

Getting a clearance and release from a phone. It’s pretty tough to hear things with the engine running while you’re holding short trying to get a release. I use my earbuds when I need to call to get a release. The A20s are my dream but I don’t have the cash and I don’t fly GA enough to justify spending that much money.

Yes, those three things.

The one downside, my phone once rang as I started my takeoff roll. I was surprised. And it was loud, in my headset.

You can adjust the volume :)
Or just turn the ringer off on the phone.

Pretty much, if you don’t want to use them to listen to music (I don’t) or to pick up IFR clearances at nontowered airports (I do, which is why I have one) or want those audio EFB alerts (I don’t), you really don’t need them.

Fly low. The cell phone works great. If comm interruptions bother you? Turn the radio off until you need it. I've never been much of a music listener while flying but I've always had the capability through my intercoms. Bluetooth is easier. No cords and can keep the phone in my pocket.

I installed the ps engineering pma8000bt audio panel and love it. As others say using it for calling ATC on the ground for clearance at untowered fields without RCO or radio range is a tremendous help. If i was not IFR I wouldn't see the same utility in it.

What's wrong with your halos? I might be interested if you want to sell it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What's wrong with your halos? I might be interested if you want to sell it.

When the volume box gets hot it gets staticy when it gets moved around. Im going to send them off to be repaired once I try out my new set. I will let you know when I am ready to sell.

When the volume box gets hot it gets staticy when it gets moved around. Im going to send them off to be repaired once I try out my new set. I will let you know when I am ready to sell.
Ok. If the volume box is getting hot, you may have a problem with your radios. I've never once had that ever even come close to getting warm.

Ok. If the volume box is getting hot, you may have a problem with your radios. I've never once had that ever even come close to getting warm.

It's not the radios. Every other headset works fine.

I have Bluetooth on my Zulus, they came that was factory.

For music I just use a 3.5mm plug, since ether my iPod is right next to my headset pod anyways, and having Bluetooth radios going seems silly, or I feed the audio via 3.5mm into the ships com panel, easy peasy depending on where you have jacks and pockets.

Used the Bluetooth for music in the plane once, just to do it.

NOW.... I have used the cell phone part a hand full of times, probably out of 100% of my use, the cell phone was bluetoothed maybe 5%, mostly for picking up clearences from non towered airports without radio reception, aside from that not much.

That said, each time I used it for odd ball things, it saved me over $200, from a comms issue where I got clearance, taxi and takeoff and enroute out of C airspace over cell phone, to keeping a rental car from disappearing, to telling people of a diversion so they'd know where to meet me, to communicating with people on the ground who, like most people, don't carry around airband transceivers.

So, no I don't use the blue tooth much at all, but I would NOT but a headset now if it DIDNT have it.

Music in "karaoke" mode doesn't cut out with ATC transmissions, several of the BT headsets have the option of enabling that mode.
This is what I use it for....

But I've also used it to make a phone call to clearance delivery while at an uncontrolled field.

I have Bluetooth on my Zulus, they came that was factory.

For music I just use a 3.5mm plug, since ether my iPod is right next to my headset pod anyways, and having Bluetooth radios going seems silly, or I feed the audio via 3.5mm into the ships com panel, easy peasy depending on where you have jacks and pockets.

Used the Bluetooth for music in the plane once, just to do it.

NOW.... I have used the cell phone part a hand full of times, probably out of 100% of my use, the cell phone was bluetoothed maybe 5%, mostly for picking up clearences from non towered airports without radio reception, aside from that not much.

That said, each time I used it for odd ball things, it saved me over $200, from a comms issue where I got clearance, taxi and takeoff and enroute out of C airspace over cell phone, to keeping a rental car from disappearing, to telling people of a diversion so they'd know where to meet me, to communicating with people on the ground who, like most people, don't carry around airband transceivers.

So, no I don't use the blue tooth much at all, but I would NOT but a headset now if it DIDNT have it.
This is before Bluetooth. My old set of Telex 50Ds had a cable connector. Same concept but wired. We were going to visit a friend at his remote dirt strip and had a landing gear issue. We decided to head home instead of taking the chance of a gear problem with the nearest service 80 miles away. Called to tell him from the pattern.

After years of not using it, I discovered the Telex wiring was not compatible with new ohines and had gone DOA altogether. The main reason I bought my Zulus was to have that capability. Just in case (and, also, I had moved to a nontowered Airport)

Back