United CEO says it's passenger's fault regarding seat pitch

Some of our seats are wider than mainline planes. Most of the time, Delta tells us when to delay and cancel a flight so we don't really have a say over it. It makes sense too. They'd rather delay or cancel a 76 seat RJ as opposed a 180 seat 757
right - so - is tht a weather delay? Or a delay for the convenience of the airline?

And what do they tell the pax? "Oh, we've got a 90 delay because we want to use the gate and runway space for the big iron. . ." or "Hey, we've got a weather delay so you have no ability to get compensation?"

Good luck finding out which it is? Lying to poeple on a regular basis is a 'way of doing business,' which means it is a bad faith means of doing business if it saves you money . . .

It is only a matter of time before an airline gets destroyed by bad faith claim for managing its delays through targeted cancellations and delays rather than a true weather delay directly applicable to that flight . . . . an airline should be able to manage flight delays - but then not get a free pass on passenger compensation for doing so.

right - so - is tht a weather delay? Or a delay for the convenience of the airline?

And what do they tell the pax? "Oh, we've got a 90 delay because we want to use the gate and runway space for the big iron. . ." or "Hey, we've got a weather delay so you have no ability to get compensation?"

Good luck finding out which it is? Lying to poeple on a regular basis is a 'way of doing business,' which means it is a bad faith means of doing business if it saves you money . . .

It is only a matter of time before an airline gets destroyed by bad faith claim for managing its delays through targeted cancellations and delays rather than a true weather delay directly applicable to that flight . . . . an airline should be able to manage flight delays - but then not get a free pass on passenger compensation for doing so.
When airports go into ground delay programs, they only allow a certain amount of aircraft in at a time. Delta will try to get their aircraft in and hold our aircraft. The gate agents make the announcement that there is an ATC delay due to runway constraints (which is true). JFK has been a mess for the past 5 months because 4R/22L has been closed. Anytime the winds don't favor the 31s, they are forced to go into a GDP because they can't handle the traffic landing on the other runways. Even when the winds are only like 10 knots but favor landing the 13s, its going to be a mess. So when they say it's a weather/ATC delay, it actually is. Just because it says partly cloudy with light winds on the weather app doesn't mean it's good.

ALL of the Regionals suck because of seat width, lack of reliable dispatch and no consequence if they are not on time -

As Jordane said, it's the mainline carrier's call on most of that. Regionals will operate a flight 6-8 hours late as they get paid from mainline for flight completion, even if the flight (s) are empty sometimes due to passengers being rebooked on other flights hours ago.

Because while I can't or won't pay the huge extra amount for business class, I definitely would choose a ticket that was somewhat (100,150 bucks) more expensive if I knew it meant legroom and comfort. I can't believe I'm the only one.
You have a lot of choices when it comes to legroom.

All three of the largest US airlines (AA, DL, & UA) offer economy seats with extra legroom. Those seats are free for fliers with status in their loyalty programs (i.e. their customers who fly regularly). Other passengers can book the extra legroom seats for a fee which varies based on the length of flight and desirability of the particular seat. That fee is usually at, or under, about $100 for domestic flights--sometimes a lot less. United offers an annual subscription to their Economy Plus seating starting at $499--depending on the region you fly in and the number of traveling companions who you can "upgrade" with you--which can be a good option for those who fly with some regularity but not enough to earn the seats for free with status.

On United's domestic airplanes, roughly 25%-40%, depending on the airplane, of the economy seats have extra legroom. Go to the United.com site and pull up the seatmap of some flights that depart in the next day or two. You will see that what typically happens is that the regular economy seats fill up first. Usually there are quite a few E+ seats available when all of the regular E seats are assigned. This shows that most of the travelers are not willing to pay extra for the extra legroom. They'd rather save the money.

The airlines specify price but not pitch, for the seats they offer.
The information is easily available. www.SeatGuru.com is a good place to research airline seating and there are others. Also, the airlines that sell increased legroom seats will have that information on the booking screens to encourage the upsell.

Southwest is different. Lots more seats but not the really tight pitch of airlines like Spirit. As a comparison, Southwest puts 143 seats in their B737-700. United puts 126 seats in the same B737-700 with the extra room going to first class and Economy Plus seats. Spirit doesn't operate the B737 but the somewhat larger A320 has 178 seats with pitch of 28" compared to Southwest's 31". Spirit offers four seats, on that airplane, with increased pitch and width. United's pitch on the B737-700 is 31" in regular economy and 36" in E+.

If legroom is important to you, there are options and the information for making an informed decision is readily available.

With flights often being completely full these days, if airlines were to add more legroom--or extend the existing extra legroom throughout the economy cabin--who are we going to kick off the airplane when we remove seats to create that extra legroom? Who doesn't get to fly?

It's a weather delay.

An airport has a set acceptance rate which comes from ATC. As conditions change, weather, winds, runway construction, etc., ATC adjusts that acceptance rate. An airport might go from a rate of 60 arrivals per hour in good weather to only 40 arrivals per hour in MVFR to 30 arrivals in low IFR. ATC communicates the reductions to the airlines and the airlines decides what it will do.

So, you're the airline and have to cut 50% of your schedule at your hub due to weather. Do you cut mostly 150-180 seat airplanes or 50-70 seat airplanes? Which choice is best for your passengers? Is making choices that inconvenience the fewest number of your customers really "for the convenience of the airline"?

First, great companies don't make a crappy product just because they can't figure out a better way to compete in the market. Good companies don't blame their customers for their own lousy product. United needs to decide what customers they want to focus on and make the experience exceptional for those customers; attempting to compete with Emirates and Spirit on the same airplane does not serve that goal well.

JKG

Okay, you sound like you have ALL the answers. So tell me how should they do it ?

This is BS.

The airlines specify price but not pitch, for the seats they offer.

Customers choose based on the information offered them. If the airlines clearly told you the pitch along with the price, some customers, especially taller ones, would choose the airline that had enough legroom.

Hogwash - the vast majority of the unwashed masses don't even know what "pitch" is outside of baseball !

Easy to say. Explain then Southwest Airlines. what I seem to see is a virtual monopoly. There certainly is a share of the market that only looks at the price. There are also a part of the market that IF they are made aware, would pay a little more for comfort.

OKAY BOB THERES A THING CALLED ECONOMY PLUS - IT'S ABOUT 50 BUCKS MORE - now you know !

Most people with two functioning brain cells are aware of it but I guess you must live under a rock or in an old Carmen Ghia or something.

When airports go into ground delay programs, they only allow a certain amount of aircraft in at a time. Delta will try to get their aircraft in and hold our aircraft. The gate agents make the announcement that there is an ATC delay due to runway constraints (which is true). JFK has been a mess for the past 5 months because 4R/22L has been closed. Anytime the winds don't favor the 31s, they are forced to go into a GDP because they can't handle the traffic landing on the other runways. Even when the winds are only like 10 knots but favor landing the 13s, its going to be a mess. So when they say it's a weather/ATC delay, it actually is. Just because it says partly cloudy with light winds on the weather app doesn't mean it's good.

You realize that turning a well known and planned long in advance runway closure into a "weather delay" because the wind is blowing the wrong way, is a bit sketchy ethically, right?

Airport isn't going to make anybody alter their scheduled flights though. Or tell the passengers that there's a runway closure and during certain weather the airline simply won't be able to land all the planes they've scheduled into the place.

GDP for real weather problems is one thing. GDP because the place announced half a year ahead of time they'd be closing a runway is not completely the airport's fault that all the scheduled flights don't fit when the wind is out of that direction.

You realize that turning a well known and planned long in advance runway closure into a "weather delay" because the wind is blowing the wrong way, is a bit sketchy ethically, right?
San Francisco is currently working on a resurfacing project on one of its longer runways. Each weekend that runway is closed and the airlines, including the one with the most flights at SFO, significantly reduce their schedules due to the known capacity reduction. Those schedule reductions were made months in advance, long before any accurate prediction could be made as to whether the wind patterns would further restrict capacity. The schedules assume capacity for typical wind conditions. When the wind isn't typical there will be additional delays just as there are when all runways are open.

SFO has cancelled the schedule runway work on some weekends when it becomes clear that the weather will cause significant delays even with the scheduled reductions. Luckily, the work they are doing allows that flexibility. Other projects would not.

Look where Kirby came from and who he worked with. This attitude is not surprising considering the background.

Wall Street is a big factor - both for the airlines but also the companies that pay for tickets for employee travel.

Each of the airlines has a fairly intensive yield management system to set fares.

If I gotta sit in 'economy', I'll fly Southwest where you tend to get treated better and don't lose value from fees if you need to change tickets.

Of course the whole market will be roiled when TSA implements a laptop ban... Not because of a specific threat, but to 'ramp up security'. Wait till they set their eyes on GA.

Hogwash - the vast majority of the unwashed masses don't even know what "pitch" is outside of baseball !
No, but they do know the term "leg room", which is how it is described sometimes in their marketing. It seems that you work for the airlines, and calling your customers the "unwashed masses" surely isn't good PR. If you don't work for the airlines, my apologies in advance. If you do, please consider sending the ideas below to your management.

Okay, you sound like you have ALL the answers. So tell me how should they do it ?
I'm not the person to whom the question was asked, but I'm willing to make suggestions. One thing they can do is plan ahead for delays- if a flight is going to be late, start the computers going to get alternate connections for the affected passengers, if possible, before the late flight arrives. Have a gate agent standing at the plane exit gate with names and hand them a boarding pass for the new connection. I don't know how may times my connecting flight was late, and I had to stand in line not know how it would work out. It usually worked out fine in the end, but part of the stress is not knowing what plans to make. They "knew my" flight was going to be late, miss the connection, help me to get moving somehow and relieve that stress!

I'm also OK with a different route- if I'm traveling from KLNK to KSFO via KDEN, I'm ok with going KLNK->KORD->KSFO, if there is seat availability, if there is weather in KDEN. Don't try to charge me a change fee for that change (as was done a month ago). I had to get a supervisor involved by asking for a ticket refund, and yet they were willing to let me reschedule the same flight a different day or cancel at no charge? I'm just trying to get to KSFO, and (within reason) don't care how I get there. I wasn't being rude, and I could be flexible on time and even airport (KOAK or KSJC would have worked for me as well).

Both of these ideas could possibly be implemented by similar algorithms to those that send internet packets to their destination (yeah, I realize people aren't IP packets).

Improve suitcase routing so the suitcase I'm being charged $50 (round trip) gets to the sample place as I, at the same time, tight connections excluded. If I have to be flown out the next day via a different routing, there is no reason the suitcase can't come with me instead of the original routing the next flight. W&B? If they can reduce the seat pitch to take another row of people and their stuff, there's enough "W&B" for the one small suitcase I carry.

Excessive CEO pay is by no means limited to the airline industry.
No, but other industries aren't the subject of this thread.

You're not suggesting that well dressed, "quality" passengers no longer fly just because you personally don't see them, are you? Passengers choose to wear what they want now; making them pay even more per seat will only increase their already overly heightened sense of entitlement, not gentrify the masses.

No, not quite. My point goes back to well over 15 years ago when folks were generally more civil and also airline travel was actually considered more "special" vs cattle car that folks consider it these days that folks just looked more nicely dressed. These days some outfits are just amusing. I am in no means well off---just grew up with the old airline days with more than one family member in the airlines. ( Western and Continental ).

I just flew on a new Delta 737-900 this past Wednesday, riding in the poor man's cabin and I was thoroughly impressed. Very comfortable seats with ample leg room and LCD displays in the seat backs that provided free satellite TV.
Delta is a solid product and I travel with them whenever realistically possible. Not just comfortable but everyone I've dealt with, from gate agent to flight attendant to telephone customer service has been a pleasure and made me feel like I'm valued. When we got our puppy we flew back cross country with him in the cabin and they were extremely accommodating. Family and friends have all said the same.

UAL was a complete and utter disaster each time I've taken them. Not only are they unfriendly, I found the whole experience to be hostile. Apologies to anyone reading this who works there, that's not my intent to offend, just the experience I've had.

And when things go south (delays, etc) DL has gone above and beyond in making it right and keeping folks comfortable.

Having said that.. as long as the majority of VFR (visiting friends and relatives) travellers go to Orbitz and buy the cheapest ticket then he is not wrong.

Delta is a solid product and I travel with them whenever realistically possible. Not just comfortable but everyone I've dealt with, from gate agent to flight attendant to telephone customer service has been a pleasure and made me feel like I'm valued. When we got our puppy we flew back cross country with him in the cabin and they were extremely accommodating. Family and friends have all said the same.

UAL was a complete and utter disaster each time I've taken them. Not only are they unfriendly, I found the whole experience to be hostile. Apologies to anyone reading this who works there, that's not my intent to offend, just the experience I've had.

And when things go south (delays, etc) DL has gone above and beyond in making it right and keeping folks comfortable.

Having said that.. as long as the majority of VFR (visiting friends and relatives) travellers go to Orbitz and buy the cheapest ticket then he is not wrong.
Right on! I also believe DAL sets the industry standard, they're a top line company.

OKAY BOB THERES A THING CALLED ECONOMY PLUS - IT'S ABOUT 50 BUCKS MORE - now you know !

Most people with two functioning brain cells are aware of it but I guess you must live under a rock or in an old Carmen Ghia or something.

Or I live in Norway. But thanks for the classy response!

I'm not the person to whom the question was asked, but I'm willing to make suggestions. One thing they can do is plan ahead for delays- if a flight is going to be late, start the computers going to get alternate connections for the affected passengers, if possible, before the late flight arrives.
This technology is already being deployed. Both Delta and United, and I'm sure others, have this functionality in their apps. When a flight on your itinerary is delayed you get an alert on the app and alternatives are offered that you can select in the app. This technology is expanding and becoming more capable and will continue to do so.

Improve suitcase routing so the suitcase I'm being charged $50 (round trip) gets to the sample place as I, at the same time, tight connections excluded.
It almost always does. Baggage mishandling rates (which include loss, delay, and damage) are low. Tracking technology has help improve them. The ramp personnel, for example, now know how many of the bags checked in for a flight have been boarded onto the airplane and the current location (last scan) of any that are missing.

Delta's app includes bag tracking. You scan your claim ticket's barcode with your phone's camera and can see realtime updates on the bag's location (last scan) and it's progress through the system (previous scans). United's system will send you a text message if your bag has missed a flight so that you can skip the wait at the baggage belt and go straight to the counter to arrange for delivery when it does arrive.

Airlines are currently using barcodes and scanning but the technology is moving toward RFID tags which will allow more frequent, more automated scans, which will improve the tracking system's accuracy.

The following link includes data about the baggage mishandling rates:
https://www.bts.gov/newsroom/december-2016-airline-on-time-performance

I'm not a CEO, so I' not sure what excessive CEO pay is; but I do know it's no one's business, but the business (to include the Board and stockholders, of course) . . .

I know how much a used airplane is worth - exactly how much someone is willing to pay for it; it really doesn't matter if I think a forty year Cessna should cost less; it matters what the market thinks. Just what my professional market value is, as well; the market drives it. Are some CEO's abysmal failures, and overpaid, based on results? Absolutely! And the business will correct it, or endure the consequences.

I have no idea what the UA CEO is paid, as a percentage of their gross revenues. I'm guessing it's pretty small. . .I don't know if UA is particularly successful right now, either. If UA is doing well, and the Board thinks the CEO is a driver of the success, it's their discretion on how much to reward him. Or, to fire him, if the company isn't doing well.

If I was UA CEO, and convinced the pubic would continue to gag up the fare, regardless of reduced leg room, and fill the planes? And keep us making money? Well then, dudes, pull in your knees! If they can do well dividing their attention, scarfing up low-rent riders, and selling up-graded economy plus seats, and get th balance right, good on 'em.

This technology is already being deployed. Both Delta and United, and I'm sure others, have this functionality in their apps. When a flight on your itinerary is delayed you get an alert on the app and alternatives are offered that you can select in the app. This technology is expanding and becoming more capable and will continue to do so.
It works OK domestically, but not on international flights, especially with the code sharing. I had one trip where the app needed a great deal of improvement (that trip to San Francisco I mentioned, and another trip to NJ where I landed at KEWR instead of KPHL).

Back in February, I had to stay overnight in Denver, I used the App to get a flight but I still saw a lot of people in long lines- the technology seems not to have made it to the counters. Oddly enough, the app let me take a flight to KOMA rather than my destination of KLNK but they are relatively close together compared to the other options I mentioned. Also, the power isn't in the app, which is nothing more than a user interface, but in the computers in the back end so there is no reason not to deploy it to the counter, and be pro-active about moving people to their next flight rather than have them wait in line.

It almost always does. Baggage mishandling rates (which include loss, delay, and damage) are low. Tracking technology has help improve them. The ramp personnel, for example, now know how many of the bags checked in for a flight have been boarded onto the airplane and the current location (last scan) of any that are missing.

Delta's app includes bag tracking. You scan your claim ticket's barcode with your phone's camera and can see realtime updates on the bag's location (last scan) and it's progress through the system (previous scans). United's system will send you a text message if your bag has missed a flight so that you can skip the wait at the baggage belt and go straight to the counter to arrange for delivery when it does arrive.

Airlines are currently using barcodes and scanning but the technology is moving toward RFID tags which will allow more frequent, more automated scans, which will improve the tracking system's accuracy.

The following link includes data about the baggage mishandling rates:
https://www.bts.gov/newsroom/december-2016-airline-on-time-performance
They have been moving towards RFID for a decade (1). One day, they may do it. And I didn't say the bags were lost, or missed a flight. They simply weren't re-routed with me. If my itinerary gets changed en-route, I now fully expect a day's delay for baggage. Also, on Delta's app- why isn't the bag linked to the traveler at check-in? Then one could skip the step in scanning the bar code with a camera? And the UAL app- why not arrange for delivery via the app?

Larry, I'm pretty sure you work for the airlines and hope you pass along the suggestions.

(1) http://www.rfidjournal.com/articles/view?2601

No, not quite. My point goes back to well over 15 years ago when folks were generally more civil and also airline travel was actually considered more "special" vs cattle car that folks consider it these days that folks just looked more nicely dressed. These days some outfits are just amusing. I am in no means well off---just grew up with the old airline days with more than one family member in the airlines. ( Western and Continental ).

Understand. People used to take the train, too. Before that it was harder to travel. Wagons, horses, walking. As time progresses things that would utterly amaze our forebears are so commonplace that much of modern society takes it for granted. Kids used to wear uniforms to school, milk was delivered in bottles by uniformed milkmen, the refrigerator repairman dressed in a shirt and tie, and even the ice cream guy had both the good sense and good humor to dress up whilst scooping frozen confections. Sadly, or not, those times are gone. All of them. We have this era now.

I never claimed to have all the answers. I did however already mention that a focus on serving the customer rather than blaming the customer would be a great start. Maybe take some lessons from companies whose employees don't hate working there and whose customers don't hate buying from them would be another suggestion.

United has a crappy product, at least for those of us not flying first class. I don't know what all of the issues are, so I can't opine on how to fix all of them, but in my observation as a customer I know that some of the processes seem to be company-focused rather than customer-focused, and a noticeable number of employees appear miserable and aren't shy about showing it.

JKG

So, your complaint is that they aren't advancing the technology fast enough?
Uh, no. My complaint is that they aren't using the technology. I shouldn't need, when a weather waiver is in place for an intermediate airport which isn't my destination, to threaten to cancel the entire trip for a refund to get a re-route to another intermediary airport. I don't need to stop at KDEN except that is where the plane goes and I don't care if I stop at KORD to get to KSFO.

And while your response was certainly polite, it showed that as an airline employee, you don't get it- didn't read what I wrote. And @Art VanDelay 's reply suggest he doesn't get it either when he calls his customers "unwashed masses" (again, I'm assuming he is an airline employee. He seems to have access to some cool toys like airliner flight simulators).

If there's one thing I've learned on the ramps of airports over the years, it's that you cannot assume a person's status by their dress.
This. Some people showed up in sweats for the business jet flights. Also, in a group of business people, the highest ranking, so to speak, often was dressed the most casually.

San Francisco is currently working on a resurfacing project on one of its longer runways. Each weekend that runway is closed and the airlines, including the one with the most flights at SFO, significantly reduce their schedules due to the known capacity reduction. Those schedule reductions were made months in advance, long before any accurate prediction could be made as to whether the wind patterns would further restrict capacity. The schedules assume capacity for typical wind conditions. When the wind isn't typical there will be additional delays just as there are when all runways are open.

SFO has cancelled the schedule runway work on some weekends when it becomes clear that the weather will cause significant delays even with the scheduled reductions. Luckily, the work they are doing allows that flexibility. Other projects would not.
It's almost a given that SFO will have delays when the weather is IFR because the runways are too close together for parallel approaches. They have the ILS PRM and LDA PRM, but you still need to acquire the preceding aircraft visually. They make Denver look smart for having built the new airport with adequate spacing between the runways. A large majority of my airline passenger flights have been DEN-SFO and the delay is almost always because of the SFO end.

Wow, do these two airlines suck!

Frontier Airlines operates a fleet of Airbus A320-family jets. According to SeatGuru, the low-cost carrier's A319s offer 28 to 31 inches of seat pitch while its A320s offer 28 to 29 inches.

Like Frontier, Spirit also operates a fleet consisting exclusively of Airbus A320-family jets. The discount carrier offers 28 inches of seat pitch in coach across its entire fleet.

Wow, do these two airlines suck!

Frontier Airlines operates a fleet of Airbus A320-family jets. According to SeatGuru, the low-cost carrier's A319s offer 28 to 31 inches of seat pitch while its A320s offer 28 to 29 inches.

Like Frontier, Spirit also operates a fleet consisting exclusively of Airbus A320-family jets. The discount carrier offers 28 inches of seat pitch in coach across its entire fleet.

BTDT on Frontier. It's tight.

It's almost a given that SFO will have delays when the weather
That's true, so you can imagine what the runway closure does to the acceptance rate. They've just recently reached the point where the resurfacing is crossing the intersections with 1R/1L so, for a few weekends, it's two runways being closed instead of just one.

No real answer to SFO other than to start building runways out in the Bay.

The New York airports, on the other hand, are more restricted by a lack of airspace than a lack of runways. Too many busy airports (EWR/LGA/JFK/TEB/HPN) too close together.

Uh, no. My complaint is that they aren't using the technology.
All of the things you mention are coming as the technology advances. New capabilities are constantly being added both in the customer-facing technology and the tools that we use behind the scenes.

You have a lot of choices when it comes to legroom.

All three of the largest US airlines (AA, DL, & UA) offer economy seats with extra legroom. Those seats are free for fliers with status in their loyalty programs (i.e. their customers who fly regularly). Other passengers can book the extra legroom seats for a fee which varies based on the length of flight and desirability of the particular seat. That fee is usually at, or under, about $100 for domestic flights--sometimes a lot less. United offers an annual subscription to their Economy Plus seating starting at $499--depending on the region you fly in and the number of traveling companions who you can "upgrade" with you--which can be a good option for those who fly with some regularity but not enough to earn the seats for free with status.

On United's domestic airplanes, roughly 25%-40%, depending on the airplane, of the economy seats have extra legroom. Go to the United.com site and pull up the seatmap of some flights that depart in the next day or two. You will see that what typically happens is that the regular economy seats fill up first. Usually there are quite a few E+ seats available when all of the regular E seats are assigned. This shows that most of the travelers are not willing to pay extra for the extra legroom. They'd rather save the money.

Or we're traveling with our 3 kids, who don't need extra leg room and we need (when they were younger) or want to sit together; full grown they are 5'3" - 5'7" and all below 120 lbs each. $100 sounds cheap until you multiply by five.

We try to buy Economy Plus on the way to Europe to have more space, even that little bit more. Makes it easier to sleep.

Now that one kid is out of college and the other two are in college we will probably spend the money for Economy Plus or even Business/First on occasion as it will just be two tickets.

For domestic flights I'm fine with the airlines being a PITA. Just helps my wife have an even better view of flying private. :D

Flew Hong Kong Airlines from Nanning to Hong Kong today. Pitch? What Pitch? Where's the freakin' pitch?

Understand. People used to take the train, too. Before that it was harder to travel. Wagons, horses, walking. As time progresses things that would utterly amaze our forebears are so commonplace that much of modern society takes it for granted. Kids used to wear uniforms to school, milk was delivered in bottles by uniformed milkmen, the refrigerator repairman dressed in a shirt and tie, and even the ice cream guy had both the good sense and good humor to dress up whilst scooping frozen confections. Sadly, or not, those times are gone. All of them. We have this era now.

I think many of those were way overdressed but it was a quick slide from business casual to slovenly once it started.

I often wonder what the breakpoint is. How much extra do they make by the extra seats they can squeeze in.
Also, not that much bit it would make the plane slightly lighter (passengers and their baggage, times say 10-12) etc.

Because while I can't or won't pay the huge extra amount for business class, I definitely would choose a ticket that was somewhat (100,150 bucks) more expensive if I knew it meant legroom and comfort. I can't believe I'm the only one.

On flights longer than a few hours, I really do wonder what the difference in price would be to make up for their lost seats if they took a row or even two out. That price, spread among x amount of passengers, seems like it ought to be doable. And an honest ad campaign ("for x dollars more, you will have y amount more room over our competitors when you fly, so when you get to your destination, you'll feel a lot better!") ought to win them a lot more folks.

The majority of folk may only choose the cheapest (until they get tired of being conned, finding out there are lots of add on costs, and the price isn't the real price) but I suspect there is still a large enough market that would pay a little more for comfort. But currently we can't "vote with our wallet" because it isn't an option.

Oh wait, there is one carrier in the US that offers more room isn't their?
The weight is not the pax and luggage, it's the cargo underneath. That's where the real money is. The pax are just the frosting.

I'm not a CEO, so I' not sure what excessive CEO pay is; but I do know it's no one's business, but the business (to include the Board and stockholders, of course) . . ..

If it's a public company it's required to be disclosed, even if one is not a stockholder. When researching a company for investment potential buyers of the company's stock may want to know that/

Back