Flying in sandals..

So Bryan has small feet.

Interesting.

I have no idea where those socks came from but I am not gonna lie.
I have worn them to sleep at night when it is cold out. They are comfortable.
I am pretty sure they are for the ladies. They should make some in camouflage or black w/ skulls on them or something. You know just for the self respect part.

One thing I do not wear in airplanes is synthetic materials. I would rather be bare skinned in a fire than clad in anything plastic. I typically flew the 310 with wool socks that had a real fleece lining or barefoot depending on altitude, a pair of jeans or cotton shorts, and cotton or silk shirt, then wool or leather jackets. Really cold weather flying I had silk long johns and flannel lined thick denim pants and leather jacket, or FR rated Carharts. I hate using combustion heaters.

I forgot my sneaks at work, so last Saturday I flew in my boat shoes. Thin sole, ventilated. I don't know if I could do sandals though. I guess I'd rather fly barefoot.

I haven't because I have to drag my plane around and sandals don't lend themselves to that. But flying in them only presents a minor theoretical safety concern. Not a BFD either way IMHO.

I fly in sandals, tennis shoes, hiking shoes and boots. Whatever season it is.

Happening right now..

e2dfe426157f2f2386caf8ef4c2a6583.jpg
ffaa6594507f24be1ad25dc774c3292a.jpg

Just curious what you guys think about this. Recently had a discussion with a friend about it and I'm curious to see what the "general consensus" amongst the aviation community at large thinks..

Flying in sandals.. A terrible idea?

Flip Flops or Keen Arroyo's? Not all sandals are built alike.

Summertime in Florida barefoot or flip flops are the only way to go. Besides try ditching in the water and have to tread water in boots and pants let me know how that works out for ya. If you need boots so you can push the rudder pedal you might want to spend less time at your local FBO and a little more at the gym. Just Sayin

I've worn Vibram FiveFingers while flying before. They weren't bad.

I've worn Vibram FiveFingers while flying before. They weren't bad.

I would rather be in bare skin in a fire than anything plastic. For crash protection they provide nothing. If I want something on my feet besides leather boots, wool socks are my choice.

I like my toes covered for walking through grass and weeds. And not seeing my ugly toes...

Sport sandals are the only way to go in South Texas summer. No socks, no wet shoes for long if they get wet, and they're cooler than anything else you can wear.

71vIBeZJ29L._SL1192_.jpg

Conclusion - warm coleslaw: bad idea. Flying in sandals: OK.

I fly with flip-flops all the time but during take off and landing when I'm really on the pedals and need the feel I take them off because I don't want them hanging up or falling off and causing all kinds of hell for me. I actually like the feel barefoot on the pedals...and it sure is comfortable on long flights on hot days...

Sorry if this is a repeat. I didn't read every previous post.

I don't wear anything that might come off and get in the way of rudder, cables, etc. Keens, Tevas are fine.

On flight in the mountains I like something I could walk a few miles in if needed, so a light hiking shoe.

It's that time of year.. I took a pair of OluKai's into the FL's yesterday... :)

About all I wear is tevas, just about year round, sneaks a lot during winter months, but I live in Alabama. Sneaks or boat shoes for flying. Slip 'em off if it's a long flight. Summer you'll find me wearing shorts, T-shirts, barefoot or teavas.

Just curious what you guys think about this. Recently had a discussion with a friend about it and I'm curious to see what the "general consensus" amongst the aviation community at large thinks..

Flying in sandals.. A terrible idea?

I had a guy show up for a flight review wearing sandals. I didn't say anything at first, waiting to see what was coming. The plane (his dad's Seneca) was tied down on a grassy slope and had to be pushed back to get to the taxiway. He could not get any traction to move the plane and I sent him home with a flea in his ear: When you go flying, dress as though you will have to walk home, because it just might happen.

Bob Gardner

True story. About 5 years ago a lady and her A&P husband were rebuilding their gorgeous Cub. I asked why and she told me because during landing her flip flop got caught in the rudder pedals and she veered off the runway headed straight for the windsock pole. So, sneakers for me.

I wear sandles all the time.. the jesus type. I'd never wear flip flops in a plane, but don't ever wear them anywhere else either.

I wear them. It's hot as hell in Alabama and my feet get way to hot so flip flops for me. I find I actually land much better in them as I can feel the rudder controls much better. Never had my flip flops get caught from has to break in the car so not really concerned about it in a plane.

Two days before my IFR check ride my DPE saw me in flip flops and I noticed he noticed. Made sure to wear driving shoes to check ride to avoid that conversation!!!

Besides try ditching in the water and have to tread water in boots and pants let me know how that works out for ya.
Apparently you missed the survival training where you can turn the long pants into a flotation device. Just saying

I had a guy show up for a flight review wearing sandals. I didn't say anything at first, waiting to see what was coming. The plane (his dad's Seneca) was tied down on a grassy slope and had to be pushed back to get to the taxiway. He could not get any traction to move the plane and I sent him home with a flea in his ear: When you go flying, dress as though you will have to walk home, because it just might happen.

Bob Gardner

Poor kid. Did you offer him any help?

I now appreciate even more my DPE for the glider rating checkride, which I took last December. He helped me push and tow the glider around the grass field several times, ran my wing for a "warm-up" solo flight, and fixed a mechanical problem with the front collapsible towbar (had to squeeze his body deep under the panel for that). If that's not exemplary service, I don't know what is!

Have flown in them, but after having some grizzled old guy chew my rear at a fuel pump telling me how I'd crash and die if I wore them, I prefer flying in gym shoes. I would do it again... but somehow feel like it was a "warning" that should be heeded. FWIW, he also told my wife that her Ugg boots would make the plane crash, and even cited an NTSB report where the pilot wearing boots got them jammed in the rudders and crashed. Stupid.

There is some truth to passengers causing issues with their footwear. I had some idiot kick off his oversized sandals in the right seat, and then I noticed he'd kicked them behind the rudder pedals (not a pilot)... :eek: So now I ask right seaters to keep their damn shoes on.

Back