Flying in sandals..

BellyUpFish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Backtothesand
Just curious what you guys think about this. Recently had a discussion with a friend about it and I'm curious to see what the "general consensus" amongst the aviation community at large thinks..

Flying in sandals.. A terrible idea?

It probably takes safety down a slight bit (thinking about fire/evacuation), but sometimes it's so hot, it's probably worth it.

Done it before...I'd do it again.

I've flown barefoot in seaplanes, sandals ain't the end of the world, though I'd rather just fly barefoot in that situation.

I flew in socks coming home Sunday. Slipped my shoes off, and never put em back on. One issue was upon landing, I don't have rudder pedals, but rudder 'bars' and it hurt to push on them to get the plane to turn on the ground while I was in stocking feet.

If it is summer and I am flying, I am wearing sandals

I have to admit, this didn't go the way I expected!

If it's warm out, I'm in sandals..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been flying barefooted most of the time lately. I usually wear flip flops during the warm months, but I don't like flying in them, so I just stick them between the seats.

Last edited:
Not yet, but I grew up with the mantra, wear shoes you can walk away from an off site landing.

How was your experience with the flying? Words with flying again shall shows that you had fun but i want your words here about the flying in sandals.

I'm not him, but I've flown in sandals in a multitude of aircraft and I don't mind flying in them. About the only real thing that concerns me is the event of a fire in a single engine where the pedals might get too hot to put my feet on them, but then, if that's the case, well it's a very bad day all around.

I'll be flying tomorrow, I'll be doing it in sandals. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How was your experience with the flying? Words with flying again shall shows that you had fun but i want your words here about the flying in sandals.

First (albeit confusing) post

I did my ATP checkride in a polo shirt, cargo shorts and yep, sandals. Not flop flips

I fly with sandals often. When I do wear shoes, I often take them off on longer flights.
I don't wear a helmet when I drive my car either. Some would probably say I am living on the edge.

Sport sandals are o.k. but flip flops will kill you just walking around the house.

Shorts and flip flops here. If the engine fails your choice of footwear is the least of your worries.

Just home from a 9 day West Coast tour, all flown with flip flops! 6,145nm :D

Time to update the map below...

Last edited:
Boat shoes are my choice,easy to slip on and off,fly barefoot on hot days in the plane,and slip on the boat shoes for landing and taxi.

sandals all the time in the plane, i leave them in there and change into them for flying. Then change back into work boots after we land. There are no snakes, thorns, or sharp rocks in the airplane. Flying is my time to be comfortable.

I wear boots flying for the Army regardless of temperature. When I fly my Arrow I am in flip flops or boat shoes and both come off when in the airplane. I like flying barefoot.

Shorts and flip flops here. If the engine fails your choice of footwear is the least of your worries.

If you survive and have to hump it out over rugged terrain you may like to have sturdy shoes.

Compromise, Tivas. Stay strapped on yet breathes.

Profile pic speaks for itself. :)

I wear boots flying for the Army regardless of temperature. When I fly my Arrow I am in flip flops or boat shoes and both come off when in the airplane. I like flying barefoot.

That transition always take me a second :D

Winter time I fly in logger boots, once the weather gets nice thin soled sneakers, the first flight going from sneakers to boots always feels like my feet are drunk!

Have flown in them, but after having some grizzled old guy chew my rear at a fuel pump telling me how I'd crash and die if I wore them, I prefer flying in gym shoes. I would do it again... but somehow feel like it was a "warning" that should be heeded. FWIW, he also told my wife that her Ugg boots would make the plane crash, and even cited an NTSB report where the pilot wearing boots got them jammed in the rudders and crashed. Stupid.

I don't think Honeck has any shoes other than sandals. Last time he rented formalwear for a wedding he had to rent shoes as well.

Have flown in them, but after having some grizzled old guy chew my rear at a fuel pump telling me how I'd crash and die if I wore them, I prefer flying in gym shoes. I would do it again... but somehow feel like it was a "warning" that should be heeded. FWIW, he also told my wife that her Ugg boots would make the plane crash, and even cited an NTSB report where the pilot wearing boots got them jammed in the rudders and crashed. Stupid.

I fly a 40+ year old plane with fuel and oil lines directly above my feet and legs. I'd really like to eliminate those lines but that's about a 10 AMU bill. In the mean time I generally wear long cotton pants and sturdy shoes.

I don't think Honeck has any shoes other than sandals. Last time he rented formalwear for a wedding he had to rent shoes as well.

He and David both...at least until David moved to Alaska!

I can't wear boots or heavy shoes...too clunky for a good feel. Lightweight hikers in the winter; shoes, Tevas or barefoot in the summer.

How the heck to you get the rudder JAMMED with your boot? Was the boot on his foot or flying around loose by the pedals?

Maybe it's just I haven't had my coffee yet, but I am having a tuff time figuring out how you end up with your boot jammed in the pedals!

It's not for me - but you wear what you want.

My shoes match the advice I give people I take flying - dress like you might have to walk home. I say it with a great deal of empathy.

I haven't worn sandals in a few years but I know I've driven in them, and I'm pretty sure I've flown in them too. I don't get the objection that in case of fire the rudder pedals might get too hot for them, unless we're talking about beach sandals. The kind of sandals I wore during hot MI summers would provide as much (or as little) insulation against heat as tennies or even hiking boots.

(I wear hiking boots when flying in the winter, and my feet still get mighty cold when flying at altitude.)

Back