Jets Tagged With Graffiti

I flew corporate for 20 years. The graffiti isn't the only problem. The aircraft needs a complete inspection for any "true damage". This would likely be several days and tens of thousands of dollars.

You can't just dismiss it as cosmetic.

Nice security... Shows he need for increased GA security.

O. M. G.

At first when I read it I was ****ed but now I find it very funny actually.

"This happened in a darkened area of the airport,"

Los Angeles Airport Police Chief Patrick Gannon told NBC.

'We are going to take a harder look at the lighting in the areas where this happened.'

I'd be so enraged if this happened to any plane that I owned though.... :(

Last edited:
We need common-sense paint safety laws. Registration, waiting periods, purchase limits. That would do it.

I think Calif already has some restrictions on sale of spray paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O. M. G.

At first when I read it I was ****ed but now I find it very funny actually.

"This happened in a darkened area of the airport,"

Los Angeles Airport Police Chief Patrick Gannon told NBC.

'We are going to take a harder look at the lighting in the areas where this happened.'

I wouldn't be. It means I'd be getting a new paint job out of the deal that I'm only paying the deductible on, not full price out of my pocket.

We need common-sense paint safety laws. Registration, waiting periods, purchase limits. That would do it.

I *think* this was an attempt at humor..??

So, you think lack of GA security is okay? What do you think should be done?

Gang crime,they'll put up some new lights ,hire a few more security people,and the story will go away. Gang crime is a react of life in LA.

Nothing to look at here, move on it's only a Learjet.

Don't leave million dollar machines on a dark ramp?
Where else are you going to leave it if you are a transient? More lighting might have helped but try getting a hangar for a larger airplane sometime when all of them are taken.

I flew corporate for 20 years. The graffiti isn't the only problem. The aircraft needs a complete inspection for any "true damage". This would likely be several days and tens of thousands of dollars.

You can't just dismiss it as cosmetic.

Yeah, there is a potential for sabotage or actions that could affect airworthiness as well as the vandalism. Regardless, this is a federal crime and if they were to catch the culprits (unlikely), hard time is in order.

Nice security... Shows he need for increased GA security.

Yeah, but what level and at what expense? We do know that government frequently goes overboard.

Sure. But FedGov and their GED-qualified staff ain't it.

Sometimes better lighting and any presence of any sort of security will have a deterrent effect. What I do not want to see though is a reaction that further isolates general aviation from the public and makes it seem illusive.

Gang crime,they'll put up some new lights ,hire a few more security people,and the story will go away. Gang crime is a react of life in LA.

It should not be though. We should never accept gang crime or any crime as a fact of life.

Nothing to look at here, move on it's only a Learjet.

The Lear was from two years ago. I'm not sure what models were hit this time.

By the way in regards to statements about where they were parked, the article does state:
Two of the jets were in a large hangar in a secure area of the airport

It's clear that the only solution is an RFID micro-chip implanted in the nape of every person's neck completely eliminating anonymity world wide. The technology exists. Putting flashlight batteries and rattle cans in locked cages at Ace Hardware isn't working. With an implanted micro-chip you will be able to do anything you're willing to take responsibility for. Graffiti punks will still be able to tag corporate jets, they'll just have to pay for it.

What IS it ?

Why do YOU think it requires a federal solution?

Federal solutions have brought us fenced-in airports virtually everywhere, even if the airports didn't want it, making airports, airplanes, and aviation even more inaccessible to the non-pilot.

Federal solutions brought TSA outside of the pax security area of air carrier airports, and made these high school dropouts into the sleuths that they are when they tried to break into 9 American Eagle aircraft by stepping on the damned pitot tubes "for leverage" and the fining the airline for allowing their stooges to break into their airplanes! http://pamablog.typepad.com/pama/2008/08/american-eagle.html

These are gang bangers in California. Don't you think the local, county, or state can provide better security than the Feds? Hell, if I had a multi-million dollar airplane there, I'd hire my own security team to watch over my toys.

Where else are you going to leave it if you are a transient? More lighting might have helped but try getting a hangar for a larger airplane sometime when all of them are taken.

Go to a different FBO, of course. One where they have a night watchman on staff. People will stop taking their planes to places where they're susceptible to vandals and start taking them to places they know it'll be safe and eventually, as in any market, the competition will drive innovation and before you know it, every jet-servicing FBO will "change their lighting" and install cameras and guards and other security features. No need for government intervention here, folks.

Is there a choice?

I have no idea as its all I can do to afford to fly a clapped out rental Cherokee. I have zero point of reference to a million dollar flying machine. Are there really no options? Different airport that is perhaps a little farther, but safer? Better planning? I really don't know, I am spitballing here. I would think if I could afford something like that, I could afford to secure it, but, who knows.

Tear down the fences so perhaps the airport could be a place where good people congregate. Or build another fence so less nonbad people spend time there. Never been to the airport in question but I'd guess it already has more security then most women's prisons. Make it a better place and it will have better people filling the space.

Why do YOU think it requires a federal solution?

Federal solutions have brought us fenced-in airports virtually everywhere, even if the airports didn't want it, making airports, airplanes, and aviation even more inaccessible to the non-pilot.

Federal solutions brought TSA outside of the pax security area of air carrier airports, and made these high school dropouts into the sleuths that they are when they tried to break into 9 American Eagle aircraft by stepping on the damned pitot tubes "for leverage" and the fining the airline for allowing their stooges to break into their airplanes! http://pamablog.typepad.com/pama/2008/08/american-eagle.html

These are gang bangers in California. Don't you think the local, county, or state can provide better security than the Feds? Hell, if I had a multi-million dollar airplane there, I'd hire my own security team to watch over my toys.
It was late when I was posting so I could be wrong, BUT...

I don't think I ever said we should have a Federal solution.

Tear down the fences so perhaps the airport could be a place where good people congregate. Or build another fence so less nonbad people spend time there. Never been to the airport in question but I'd guess it already has more security then most women's prisons. Make it a better place and it will have better people filling the space.

What?? :confused: You live out in the country and don't spend much time in big cities do you?

The article said that two of the jets that were tagged were in a hangar. So that means that a hangar that houses multi million dollar jets has no alarm, no security cameras, a lock that is easily broken (or no lock at all) and no staff to watch over these machines. In those cases the FBOs (or their insurance) had better be footing the bill.

This is not graffiti. These jets are owned by Snoop Dog and Fity Cents:goofy:

I was told that the hangar was a private hangar and not a FBO. I can't verfiy that is the truth. I was in Van Nuys and a local was talking to me about it.

Interesting that the spray painting on a couple of 1%'ers Million Dollar jets causes the OP such concern, when his link also has an update on Tamir Rice, which apparently causes the OP no such concern....

The two Cleveland police officers involved in the fatal shooting of 12-year-old Tamir Rice will face a new administrative review after an Ohio state grand jury decided not to press charges against them, Mayor Frank Jackson said Tuesday.

Priorities ......

Interesting that the spray painting on a couple of 1%'ers Million Dollar jets causes the OP such concern, when his link also has an update on Tamir Rice, which apparently causes the OP no such concern....

Priorities ......

Ummm... that would be because this an aviation forum and it's about airplanes and people here really like airplanes and many of us own airplanes and we can empathize.

What does Tamir Rice have to do with airplanes?

Priorities ......
I always thought it was flat out ignorance to suggest that private jets only benefit the 1%ers. Those jets employee pilots, mtc personnel, dispatchers, schedulers, fuelers, line guys, limo drivers, caterers, hotel staff, and likely many more I failed to mention.

As I said earlier in this thread, I flew business jets for 20 years. Without the 1% owner guy, many people (myself included) would not have had a job.

I always thought it was flat out ignorance to suggest that private jets only benefit the 1%ers. Those jets employee pilots, mtc personnel, dispatchers, schedulers, fuelers, line guys, limo drivers, caterers, hotel staff, and likely many more I failed to mention.

As I said earlier in this thread, I flew business jets for 20 years. Without the 1% owner guy, many people (myself included) would not have had a job.

No kidding. If the point of society is to move forward and advance in technology and living standards for all, we need the 1%ers. If the point is to stagnate in mediocrity, then yeah, we should get rid of all the 1%ers.

The truth is, in most cases, the damage to these planes can be easily fixed with this...

k2-_410867cf-a2e8-447e-9d08-116c31186997.v1.jpg

and a buffing wheel. I have personally used the Goof Off Graffiti remover on my trucks and it works like advertised. It really does clean off nearly 97% of the graffiti paint with ease. If these planes happened to be waxed, it will be easier than cleaning the bugs. What it doesn't get, a little polish and a buffer will fix. No repaint is necessary.

I'm not so sure about the windows though... It might damage those.

O. M. G.

...but now I find it very funny actually.

And then we could find it funny that it happened to you.

Back