Flying in sandals..

I would not fly without close-toed shoes on. I also won't fly in shorts. But that's just me. I have no problem with people who fly in shorts and sandals, however.

I wear sneakers and instruct all my passengers to do the same.

My instructor discussed with me the merits of wearing sneakers if we ever needed to hike out from an off-field landing/crash. I know people that have crashed in the woods. Hiking in sneakers sucks enough as it is.

I fly without clothes if it's too hot, but I always make sure to wear some type of FAA approved footwear.

I have the closed toe Keens sandals that I've driven the car in and have gone by the airport for a short hop in. But if I'm at the house preparing to go fly then I'll wear sneakers.

I used to wear Tivas everywhere in the summertime. Then after a few years I realized that while my feet were a little cooler sometimes, I often got grass and dirt all over my feet, and they were prone to getting sunburned.

I switched back to sneakers, and now I wear those exclusively. I can't say I notice a difference in comfort really, I never think "OMG my feet are so hot!"

I'd fly in Tivas if I was still wearing them, but no need now. I don't know if barefoot or socks would work well in the CTSW, the pedals are of the "bar" type and probably not the most comfortable on the feet.

For weather boots you guys should check out Chippewa, made in the US, rebuildable, waterproof, good grip and comfy.

I have to ride in boots and jeans to the airport where I change in the restroom to shorts and sandals and store the helmet and change bag in the pilot's lounge. When I come back, I reverse the process. If it is 110 outside and the plane is baked in the sun on the ramp, I am not frying myself in boots and long jeans, I am not crazy. :)

How the heck to you get the rudder JAMMED with your boot? Was the boot on his foot or flying around loose by the pedals?

Maybe it's just I haven't had my coffee yet, but I am having a tuff time figuring out how you end up with your boot jammed in the pedals!

My understanding is that the early Lears had some sort of issue/history with that.

I've seen many do it and I too would be tempted; but I am flying an Arrow with VERY HEAVY rudders. I use good, solid (?heavy?) sneakers to help put some umph into my pushes on them (problem especially apparent in ground ops. She dunna like turning to the left).
Also stay away from shorts. My knees appreciate it during pre-flight while kneeling on the tarmac

Cars? Sure, all the time -- including bare feet

Possibly life changing sandal-related anecdote.

In the 1980's I already had a bunch of time as a CFI and Commercial Pilot.

I was working as an LEO for Dade County, FL. They had an opening for their Aviation Department - something I had longed to do.

I interviewed, but the job went to someone with far less experience and ratings. The husband of a female sergeant - so nepotism may have been a factor.

In any case, my AME was a friend and a student. He knew one of the people involved with the selection process and told me one factor in my not getting the job was that I wore sandals to the interview.

Sounds silly now, but I was and am a pretty casual guy. In any case, I wonder if I had gotten that position if I would have stayed with the department until retirement. In any case, my life would have played out far differently than it has.

But no regrets - I'm in a great place now!

. I generally don't in the plane, but not for any particular safety concern. Probably will now that it's getting hot.
Just an FYI: if you are flying in Plus One (I can't remember if you are a member or not), open-toed sandals are not allowed for flying club planes.

In any case, my AME was a friend and a student. He knew one of the people involved with the selection process and told me one factor in my not getting the job was that I wore sandals to the interview.

Sandals to an interview I wouldn't have done..

Why wouldn't you?
I would. What makes an airplane different?

You have to hike from somewhere? Why not just call a cab?

If you are flying across the Canadian Rockies, you should be prepared to go down on the rocks.

Flying from Detroit to Indianapolis, you should be sure to have a credit card with you.

I drive barefoot on long trips sometimes for comfort. I might fly the same way, but I'd rather do that than sandals or flip-flops that might catch on something.

Only point to those types of shoes over bare feet is to not step on sharp rocks and such....if this is a concern in your cockpit or car I suggest a good cleaning.

I would. What makes an airplane different?

You have to hike from somewhere? Why not just call a cab?

If you are flying across the Canadian Rockies, you should be prepared to go down on the rocks.

Flying from Detroit to Indianapolis, you should be sure to have a credit card with you.
And if you're flying from Detroit to Oshkosh across Lake Michigan, sandals will be a heck of a lot easier to take off than boots, should you have to ditch...

And if you're flying from Detroit to Oshkosh across Lake Michigan, sandals will be a heck of a lot easier to take off than boots, should you have to ditch...

Might even want to wear fins!

Sperry's when it's hot.

Sperry's when it's warm.

Sperry's when it's cold.

Warm shoes when it's really cold outside.

I have found my perfect outfit and I don't change it much.

Sperry's when it's hot.

Sperry's when it's warm.

Sperry's when it's cold.

Warm shoes when it's really cold outside.

I have found my perfect outfit and I don't change it much.
I tend to be a Sperry guy myself. Only problem I ever had with them was in a Super Cub (the rubber heels from the Sperrys would occasionally grab the floor and drag while I was working the rudder.

Sperry's or workboots. Do you guys never have to pull a plane from its hangar?

I've flown with cycling road shoes before (the ones with the clips that are hard to walk in.) They are hard to fly with too, as they tend to want to slip off the pedals and brakes.

Your primary survival gear is what you have on. No sandals for me. Hiking boots in summer. Every flight requires a push-back for me and pushing a loaded 180 on soft ground doesn't favor sandals. Insulated pac boots in winter, hip boots (rolled down below the knee) when flying floats.

Sperry's or workboots. Do you guys never have to pull a plane from its hangar?

I've drug the ole' RV-6 out of the hangar countless times in sandals. Done it numerous times barefooted..

My understanding is that the early Lears had some sort of issue/history with that.

The one I remember hearing about had to do with the heel of a cowboy boot, though, not Uggs. I don't think Uggs were invented yet.

I've worn sandals (somewhat sturdy ones) flying although I once had a boss who wouldn't let us fly in sandals or shorts for the survival aspect. I think as long as whatever you are wearing doesn't slip or interfere with the rudders you are fine.

vibrams1_Bikila_Castle_Rock_LS-mens.jpg

Anyone? :stirpot:

Anyone besides me disappointed that this thread isn't about airports near the Caribbean all inclusive resorts?

Huaraches, baggies, bushy bushy blonde hairdo...

Sandals to an interview I wouldn't have done..

I was talking to a person that is looking to hire pilots to fly the lead in plane for fire suppression. Not an interview and not looking for a job, just talking about the plane and job itself.

He offered me a job there on the ramp, sandals, beard and a beer in my hand....

Gotta love flying in Alaska...:yes:

Oh, I also wear hiking shoes to fly the plane for beach landings.

I once flew a Cheyenne II in nothing but sandals and a toga. As you can imagine, that was during my college days. There's a picture out there somewhere, I'm sure.

homey don't like fire, i wear a nomex flight suit, glove and leather shoes.

bob

Just an FYI: if you are flying in Plus One (I can't remember if you are a member or not), open-toed sandals are not allowed for flying club planes.

I am a member, but haven't flown any of their planes since buying my own.

homey don't like fire, i wear a nomex flight suit, glove and leather shoes.

bob

I hope its a triple layer suit. The single layers are just a joke.

Dave Marcus used to race in NASCAR wearing wingtip leather shoes.

Jesus flew in sandels and if it is good enough for him...

If it's cold out, I will put them in the microwave for about a minute to a minute and a half (no more) before I head outside.

God help you if you off field in Cholla cactus country in sandals.

My last emergency landing I had to push the plane 200 yards to get it clear of the runway. Glad I was in walking sneakers.
I always dress as if I was going to have to walk home.

Shoes and jeans for me from flying the airlines to my own plane. No exceptions.

I just landed. I wore these specifically so I could post this on this thread.

I got some looks. It was awesome.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sandals.jpg
    Sandals.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 238
Back