Pet Peeves

Yes, well in Germany they consider it a privilege to be able to drive, not a right, like here. The fees for a license in Germany is over $2000.
I recently attended driving classes with several Europeans. According to them, the driving test is more like 5 hours than the 20 minutes we had to spend on it.

Something tells me that the government (gubmint to some here) charging $1,000 for driving licenses would go over like a fart in church in this country.

The goverment doesn't charge that. The fee for the license itself is something like $75. To qualify, you have to be signed off by a driving instructor to have fulfilled a certain curriculum with miniumum hours, some highway driving, some night driving. How many hours it takes you to be signed off for the test is up to your skill. Driving test was less than an hour, you had to parallel park, turn around on a 2-lane highway and not blow any red lights or stop signs.

No different from how the FAA administers the private pilot license.

It peeves me when I have pot odds at a poker table and don't win.

Tonight I had Jack 8 Suited. Pre-flop the blinds go all in for $300 or so. I have around $250. I was going to fold but by the time it came around to me there was way over a thousand dollars in the pot. I had to call...

I lost. 'A J 8 rainbow' came up on the flop and I thought I'd hit pay dirt. Pocket pair of Ace's won it. I was behind when I called but why does fate have to be so cruel?

It peeves me when I have pot odds at a poker table and don't win.

Tonight I had Jack 8 Suited. Pre-flop the blinds go all in for $300 or so. I have around $250. I was going to fold but by the time it came around to me there was way over a thousand dollars in the pot. I had to call...

I lost. 'A J 8 rainbow' came up on the flop and I thought I'd hit pay dirt. Pocket pair of Ace's won it. I was behind when I called but why does fate have to be so cruel?

Same thing happened to me last Friday. I so had worked out the scenario. I was in like Flynt.

Then I tried to get in good with dad.

It wasn't dad.

How about those who use the CTAF as a Citizen's Band radio.:mad2:
Nothing like trying to listen for someone in the pattern before taking off when the air is filled with two duds describing what they are going to eat when they land.

No one seems to know about the air to air frequency.

No one seems to know about the air to air frequency.

People who think 123.45 is an air-to-air frequency over CONUS.

(See AIM 4-1-11. It isn't there. 122.75 is. As is 123.025 for the whirlybird kids. And instructors yappin' with students that are soloing? Supposed to be on 123.3 and 123.5, not the CTAF.)

People who think 123.45 is an air-to-air frequency over CONUS.

(See AIM 4-1-11. It isn't there. 122.75 is. As is 123.025 for the whirlybird kids. And instructors yappin' with students that are soloing? Supposed to be on 123.3 and 123.5, not the CTAF.)

Those rules were obviously written in a different, more GA-active time. Nowadays, most of the time, you could yak on any frequency you want, and not bother anyone. :(

My pet peeve of the day:

I get off the freeway, behind a line of like a million cars waiting to turn at the intersection. A few cars go. The line turns in to more like a billion cars. Then a few more cars go. The line appears to now be a zillion cars, by the time I make it within five cars of the light.

Light turns green. First car goes. Second car waits like five car lengths then goes. Third car waits like five car lengths then goes. It didn't matter what the fourth car did because the third car didn't make it through anyway.

Hesitating at a traffic light (after having verified the intersection is clear) should be a ticketable offense. No, it should be a capital offense.

People,

When you're turning right onto a multiple lane road you turn onto the RIGHT lane of the new road. If turn left onto a multiple lane road you turn onto the LEFT lane of the new road.

Happens all the time that I'm turning left into the left lane while oncoming traffic is turning right. For some reason a large percentage turn right into the left lane which is where I am.

Also, if turning left at the light while waiting for a break in oncoming traffic how about pulling into the intersection? It gets more cars through the light if you pull out. No reason to sit through an entire light cycle and not go because you refuse to get out there.

People,

When you're turning right onto a multiple lane road you turn onto the RIGHT lane of the new road. If turn left onto a multiple lane road you turn onto the LEFT lane of the new road.

Happens all the time that I'm turning left into the left lane while oncoming traffic is turning right. For some reason a large percentage turn right into the left lane which is where I am.

Also, if turning left at the light while waiting for a break in oncoming traffic how about pulling into the intersection? It gets more cars through the light if you pull out. No reason to sit through an entire light cycle and not go because you refuse to get out there.
If you have two right turn lanes turning into a 3 lane road, which lanes are you turning into? The rightmost two lanes? Often I see people in the rightmost turn lane tuning into the middle lane.

If you have two right turn lanes turning into a 3 lane road, which lanes are you turning into? The rightmost two lanes? Often I see people in the rightmost turn lane tuning into the middle lane.

In California, the right hand driver turns in to the right lane and the two outer lanes are open to the left hand driver, in the absence of intersection lane markers.

People,

Not saying it's smart, but in Colorado the person turning left would get the ticket.

The right turn always has right-of-way over the left except in cases where a no-turn-on-red sign is displayed for the right turn driver and/or the left turners have a specific turn signal and the right turn driver is turning against a red light.

Easier to follow your "rule" if you dot like crunched metal, but I see people ticked off all the time that they (as the left turner with a standard green and the other person with a standard green) get the ticket because they thought that inside lane was "theirs".

This was the headline on the TV news this morning:

"Drinking four cups of coffee a day increases risk of death"

1. How so? Doesn't it start at 100%?

2. What about drinking any other number of cups of coffee a day?

Ball washers at the golf course have the handle on the right side. It should be on the left. That way, you would crank the handle with your gloved hand and insert and remove the ball with your ungloved hand.

The way they are currently designed forces one to handle the ball with the gloved hand and/or a juggling act using only the right hand to both cranks and ball handle.

Alternately one could take off their glove but I'm too lazy.

^People who think like this.

Last guy I saw doing the "no hesitation" bit ended up ramming a stalled car at 30mph.

I'm not following the connection. If the car is moving, move. If it stops, stop. There is no excuse to ram a stalled or stopped car.

Ball washers at the golf course have the handle on the right side. It should be on the left. That way, you would crank the handle with your gloved hand and insert and remove the ball with your ungloved hand.

Doesn't the glove get worn on the favored hand? so if a golfer is right handed the glove is on the right - so the ball washer thing favors the majority of golfers I presume. Just like runways favor the wind, not always perfect for every instance but helps in getting people out of the airport (and in)

"Everybody should make this mistake once."

No. That's just you saying you want everyone else to be as stupid as you.

Advocating other's failure is stupid. Try just saying that you made a mistake and you DO NOT recommend anyone else make it, instead of sounding like a sociopath.

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

No, you're weaker for your mistake and it sound's like maybe you're going to learn from it, but the folks who made better choices are stronger than you now.

You just want to rationalize away your stupidity and commiserate with other dumbasses.

Whatever didn't kill you just didn't kill you. You're still the same idiot who almost got killed. Fix it.

Doesn't the glove get worn on the favored hand? so if a golfer is right handed the glove is on the right - so the ball washer thing favors the majority of golfers I presume. Just like runways favor the wind, not always perfect for every instance but helps in getting people out of the airport (and in)

Um, no. Opposite hand.

But, not being familiar with the crank handle washers (only the up and down kind), could one stand on the opposite side?

Um, no. Opposite hand.

But, not being familiar with the crank handle washers (only the up and down kind), could one stand on the opposite side?

I'm not a golfer so bear with me, but you are saying you have to handle the crank to wash your balls?

I'm not a golfer so bear with me, but you are saying you have to handle the crank to wash your balls?

That is only if you dont have an 'up and down ball washer' :D

Guys who conduct hang glider operations 6 miles from a busy class D on the extended centerline of the active runway while skimmimg the bases of the clouds.

Um, no. Opposite hand.

Are you suggesting that I do a "reach around"?

In public even?

:dunno:

:redface:

Two examples...same problem...

#1 You can't buy replacement blades for wipers anymore at the local parts store. You gotta buy the entire assembly. So, instead of spending $7, you spend $25.

#2. You can't buy replacement blades for tape measures at the local hardware or home improvement store. So, instead of spending $10, you spend $30.

or you could buy a stanley contractor grade "fat max" tape that is guaranteed for life. I have returned/exchanged mine a dozen+ times with just a $25 investment.

or you could buy a stanley contractor grade "fat max" tape that is guaranteed for life. I have returned/exchanged mine a dozen+ times with just a $25 investment.

Really?

I

DID

NOT

KNOW

THAT!

My current "broken tape" is indeed a Fat Max. I'll be taking it back!

THANKS!

Okay I was beside myself today. I just finished what could only be described as an anticlimactic ride today in the hills on the West side of the Napa Valley. I won't get in to that.

But I needed to eat. So I headed to my favorite tri-tip salad place in downtown Napa (Buckhorn) and couldn't find a place to park! On a Saturday no less! There was a freakin' FESTIVAL going on!

I'm anti social. Well, no, I'm socially challenged. Yeah. I hate crowds. I hate them a lot. They stood in the way of food. I like food a lot. I came there to eat food not to wade through a sea of drunk obnoxious yuppies that drink little tiny glasses of overpriced beer and pretend to enjoy blues music.

People. Just, don't congregate. Stay home. Enjoy life. Ride a bike. Don't clog up our surface streets and freeways, and certainly not Sac Arrow's lunch venue. Look at ant farms. Ants aren't happy. Ants congregate. Ants have short lives. Don't be an ant.

Okay I feel better I guess. You know what I did for dinner? I got a 1.7 lb New York Strip steak at my grocery store and I ate it raw. Why did I eat it raw? Why bother cooking it. I could have singed the outsides like I normally do in the pretense of cooking it but ninety percent of it is still raw anyway so why bother. It was just as good. Plus I don't have to do dishes.

//rant off

Okay I was beside myself today. I just finished what could only be described as an anticlimactic ride today in the hills on the West side of the Napa Valley. I won't get in to that.

But I needed to eat. So I headed to my favorite tri-tip salad place in downtown Napa (Buckhorn) and couldn't find a place to park! On a Saturday no less! There was a freakin' FESTIVAL going on!

I'm anti social. Well, no, I'm socially challenged. Yeah. I hate crowds. I hate them a lot. They stood in the way of food. I like food a lot. I came there to eat food not to wade through a sea of drunk obnoxious yuppies that drink little tiny glasses of overpriced beer and pretend to enjoy blues music.

People. Just, don't congregate. Stay home. Enjoy life. Ride a bike. Don't clog up our surface streets and freeways, and certainly not Sac Arrow's lunch venue. Look at ant farms. Ants aren't happy. Ants congregate. Ants have short lives. Don't be an ant.

Okay I feel better I guess. You know what I did for dinner? I got a 1.7 lb New York Strip steak at my grocery store and I ate it raw. Why did I eat it raw? Why bother cooking it. I could have singed the outsides like I normally do in the pretense of cooking it but ninety percent of it is still raw anyway so why bother. It was just as good. Plus I don't have to do dishes.

//rant off

I hate crowds too. Plenty of stuff I would like to do but don't because it's not worth the hassle of the crowds/traffic/parking.

I hate crowds too. Plenty of stuff I would like to do but don't because it's not worth the hassle of the crowds/traffic/parking.

I don't go much for crowds, but I'm also really good at ignoring them if I'm there for something I want to do.

Or the opposite, making people look up from staring at their feet by commenting loudly on their conversation whe it's obvious that they've forgotten they're in public. ;)

Just kinda depends on the mood of the day.

Only time I deal with crowds is air shows. Can't stand traffic in the city. Thankfully I live out in the country and don't have to deal with that. I suppose in some ways I do fit the "loner" helicopter pilot profile. :D

I live in a freakin' resort town.

I think you can guess what I think of crowds.

No, not all of us make our living from the tourist industry. Some of us would just like to walk the dog on a holiday weekend without 50 yokels who can't be bothered about reading a map or the road signs asking where the FN steam train is. Just shut your yaps and LISTEN 'cause that thing makes a hell of a lot of noise and you can easily hear it 5 miles out.

So check this out yo.

My car is in the shop so I'm driving another fleet Dodge front wheel drive POS. The last ass munch to drive it only left a quarter tank of gas in it plus TPMS reports 28 pounds of pressure in the tires. No wonder it drives like a sponge soaked with partially hardened concrete.

I get some gas, and maneuver over to the air station. There are two stalls in front of the air machine. One is occupied by a dude putting water in his radiator. The other by some lady just sitting there doing nothing whatsoever.

I wait patiently for a few minutes waiting for someone to move. Well okay that's a lie, impatiently. I need to get to work. Finally I get the lady's attention and point to the air station as if to say "are you using that?" To which she replies with a snarly expression that says "bugger off, pecker rag!"

I respond with the "Whatever b**ch" shrug and park the car in the handicap access ramp next to her and drag the hose over to my car. I can't quite reach past the two front tires, but when the hose starts slapping against her car, she gets the hint and leaves.

Was she being a jerk*?

*Jerk trademark duly credited to Captain

Is this the same gal that just sits on the exercise machine at the gym just talking on her cell phone?:mad2:

I had person parked at the air machine angst just yesterday. Grrrr.

When ordering at a restaurant and the waiter or waitress says, when you've completed your order " I'll put this order right in for you". As if it was an option for them to wait half an hour to put the order in, but they'll do you this favor of taking care of this right now. This happens all.the.time.

When ordering at a restaurant and the waiter or waitress says, when you've completed your order " I'll put this order right in for you". As if it was an option for them to wait half an hour to put the order in, but they'll do you this favor of taking care of this right now. This happens all.the.time.

Waiters who dont write down orders and routinely get them wrong.

Back