Gastons 2013 Attendance

I just flew back to Vale, OR. from Phoenix and I had to have my engine overhauled while down there. Therefore I don't think that I will be able to attend Gastons this year. It is a long flight to make and the weather is hard to get to cooperate. I wanted to give some more rides into Thunder Ridge but not in the cards for me this time.:mad:

I just flew back to Vale, OR. from Phoenix and I had to have my engine overhauled while down there. Therefore I don't think that I will be able to attend Gastons this year. It is a long flight to make and the weather is hard to get to cooperate. I wanted to give some more rides into Thunder Ridge but not in the cards for me this time.:mad:

Awww Bob... :sad: Hoping next year will be better timing-wise. I knew I should have gone with you to Thunder Ridge in 2010, but I did win $20.00 playing airport poker. :D

Still getting my end figured out... but if I'm going, I'll have a seat open in 55WB if you can get yourself to D/FW.

Really? I was just thinking of asking my boss for Friday / Monday off, looking at area hotels and rental cars, etc.

When would I need to arrive / leave DFW?

Really? I was just thinking of asking my boss for Friday / Monday off, looking at area hotels and rental cars, etc.

When would I need to arrive / leave DFW?

Arrive Friday mid-day, depart Sunday afternoon early evening might work. I have replied to your PM that had your contact info... We can connect by phone this week and discuss some details.

I gotta ask... When you were taking your first flight lessons, did you ever think you'd have this many aviation adventures? B)

Lynn.... just noticed your new photo in your signature... gotta tease you about matching the color of your wardrobe to the paint scheme of your plane :lol: :D :D

Lynn.... just noticed your new photo in your signature... gotta tease you about matching the color of your wardrobe to the paint scheme of your plane :lol: :D :D

Wait'll you meet her... she color-coordinates her *life*!

It's a good thing. :D

I'm In! Got the family stuff worked out. Flying in Friday, leaving Sunday. Don't know how ground ops will be coordinated this year if at all, but if I land the King Air there, I'll need help getting it parked or need to be in someplace I can swing in and out with a 50' wingspan. I'll have some open seats if anyone want to link up. Just don't want it to get too complicated.

Best,

Dave

Arrive Friday mid-day, depart Sunday afternoon early evening might work. I have replied to your PM that had your contact info... We can connect by phone this week and discuss some details.

I gotta ask... When you were taking your first flight lessons, did you ever think you'd have this many aviation adventures? B)

I'll check out your PM and perhaps we can talk on the phone but it is not looking too good. Probably close to $500 - $1,000 now and I'm not sure for only one full day (Saturday) I should be spending that. (Meals, lodging, plane, dog sitter fees, etc). Also, my boss has not replied to my request for days off and I'm not sure if I could get to DFW mid-day on Friday without leaving before 6am from here. Also not sure about Sunday evening. Let me do some more research.

And no, I had no idea what I was doing when I took flying lessons. My instructor didn't let me fly with anyone or study with anyone. Towards the end, I joined this site and three others and got to see that "adventure" was a part of it. When I signed up (first started flight school), plain and simple, I saw bush pilots on TV, went to my local airport, paid for a discovery flight, and I was hooked. I actually said "sign me up." All I knew was that I wanted to fly. The rest has been not only an added bonus but probably what will keep me in the sky - the people, places, and adventures.

I'm In! Got the family stuff worked out. Flying in Friday, leaving Sunday. Don't know how ground ops will be coordinated this year if at all, but if I land the King Air there, I'll need help getting it parked or need to be in someplace I can swing in and out with a 50' wingspan. I'll have some open seats if anyone want to link up. Just don't want it to get too complicated.

Best,

Dave

Dave,

I called and asked them for you (well OK I was booking my room and remembered your post).

They do have King Airs there from time to time and they do not feel your 50' will be an issue.

Here is my very brief review of the thread:

Jesse
Spike
(?) Nate
(?) Tim
Dana
(?) David White
Lynn
Mike (aggie)
Dave S
ARFlyer
Danielle
(?) Clark
(?) Ed
madtrader
(?) machfly
(?) Bruce
(? ) Greg B
(?) Jim F
Dave S

The "unsure" number of people is equal to the "for sure" number of people. Unsure meaning either they don't know if they can make it and won't decide until last minute or they are not sure what day they will be there.

BTW when I called there were still motel rooms and cottages available. Motel rooms are $89 and overlook the runway and have two beds, Cottages are $180 and have two private rooms, one with a King and one with two beds, a living room / common area, one bathroom, a "kitchen" (full sized fridge, microwave, coffee pot, and plates / utensils).

I'm a less than 50/50 maybe right now. Karen has a gig singing at a Colorado Rockies game that weekend, and I'm on-call.

But if a solo jaunt looks doable later... maaaaybe.

Nate - do you think you might have a seat available if you go? I haven't discussed it with my wife yet, but that could be kind of a cool way to get back into this again.

I'm secondary on call that weekend, so that could be tough for me as well, but I'm sure I could get someone to cover.

Dave,

I called and asked them for you (well OK I was booking my room and remembered your post).

They do have King Airs there from time to time and they do not feel your 50' will be an issue.

Thanks. Wasn't worried about getting in if the runway is in decent condition, but ground handling can be an issue. It's a big plane; can't move it around on the ground myself and don't even carry a tow bar. Hey, maybe we can get that attorney from Dallas coming to talk a bit, enough wind might move it a bit (g).

Glad to see you're coming.

I'll start looking at the books to compute takeoff distance there. Should be great fun! Let's see, 95 degrees, slight downslope, bit of a tail wind--looks fine!

Best,

Dave

Thanks. Wasn't worried about getting in if the runway is in decent condition, but ground handling can be an issue. It's a big plane; can't move it around on the ground myself and don't even carry a tow bar. Hey, maybe we can get that attorney from Dallas coming to talk a bit, enough wind might move it a bit (g).

Glad to see you're coming.

I'll start looking at the books to compute takeoff distance there. Should be great fun! Let's see, 95 degrees, slight downslope, bit of a tail wind--looks fine!

Best,

Dave

Dave,

It will be great to meet you! No I think I told them you were worried about ground ops. This page on their site shows some huge planes though:

http://www.gastons.com/airstrip.php

Ok. So perhaps I haven't put much effort into organizing things this year. I've just been swamped and have been hoping that someone else would do it. That said, we can't let this great tradition die. Plus I hear the economy is fixed now so I know you all have the money.

What is Gastons? It's a beautiful little grass strip lined by cabins that creates the perfect recipe for a weekend of airplane flying and good times.

I'm not sure what Gastons has available for cabins or who has already reserved one but we should probably figure that out.

I'd like to see 20 planes there this year.

For those that haven't been there: http://www.gastonsflyin.com I haven't updated the website for 2013 yet...

Dates are weekend of June 7-9. Most people generally arrive on the 7th. Most leave on the 9th. Some of us show up on the 6th and have the annual pizza party.

Name............... #People...... Tail.... Type...... Based... ARR/DEP....Confidence
Jesse Angell...........?............?.........?...... KLNK..... Thur/Fri/Sat....For Sure

Registered for your site, loved the photos and site layout.

Does Gastons have internet access?

If yes, it wouldn't be impossible for me to do this, just... pretty expensive in this era of $6 fuel, about 3 Great Lakes/Midwest flyins worth. I am still hoping to do a XC to the Bay area in August and this would definitely cut into my ability to do it. I would really love to attend one year though.

The reason I'd need internet access is that I'm teaching an online course through end of July.

Put me down as a very doubtful maybe.

If yes, it wouldn't be impossible for me to do this, just... pretty expensive in this era of $6 fuel, about 3 Great Lakes/Midwest flyins worth. I am still hoping to do a XC to the Bay area in August and this would definitely cut into my ability to do it. I would really love to attend one year though.

The reason I'd need internet access is that I'm teaching an online course through end of July.

On their website:

Gaston's White River Resort
Frequently Asked Questions

We have a brand new, state of the art phone system with high speed DSL installed here at the resort. Each cottage has an ethernet connection to our free high speed Internet service. You simply plug in your laptop, let the computer obtain IP and DNS settings automatically, and you are online.

shim.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We have a brand new, state of the art phone system with high speed DSL installed here at the resort. Each cottage has an ethernet connection to our free high speed Internet service. You simply plug in your laptop, let the computer obtain IP and DNS settings automatically, and you are online.

[/FONT]

Wait the bay area? When (I mean what dates / will it be over a weekend / etc?)

Add me to those who are attending...

Mike Farlow, N55WB, '75 C182P W/M/G, email mike dot farlow88 at gmail dot com

Arriving Friday afternoon, departing Sunday.

@Jesse, the registration page on the website needs updating.

Best to just keep track of who is coming on here. The website needs major rework.

The Internet at Gaston's is reliable, though not lightning-fast. I have used it several years running for remoting into my office computers (RDP), no problems at all.

Each cabin has a router with an RJ45 connection; I typically bring a wireless access point to use with iPad/laptop, etc.

On their website:

Gaston's White River Resort
Frequently Asked Questions

We have a brand new, state of the art phone system with high speed DSL installed here at the resort. Each cottage has an ethernet connection to our free high speed Internet service. You simply plug in your laptop, let the computer obtain IP and DNS settings automatically, and you are online.

shim.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We have a brand new, state of the art phone system with high speed DSL installed here at the resort. Each cottage has an ethernet connection to our free high speed Internet service. You simply plug in your laptop, let the computer obtain IP and DNS settings automatically, and you are online.

[/FONT]

Keep in mind, you don't know when that was written. I remember when I went there 3 years in a row, the internet service was pretty bad. It worked, but I wouldn't rely on it for anything. Also - "state of the art DSL" is kind of a scary prospect. LOL.

Gastons rules. If you guys get a pretty big showing of pilots, it could be a really good time for everyone. Learn to love sweat though.

Wait the bay area? When (I mean what dates / will it be over a weekend / etc?)
Weekend?! Oh gosh, if I come it will be more like for 2 weeks. No date has been set yet. It would be starting in early August. My friend will be coming here in June and I wanted to go out to visit her (and see CA the right way) once my summer semester ends.

Meeting up with Bay area PoA friends would definitely be on the agenda too! :yes:

Keep in mind, you don't know when that was written. I remember when I went there 3 years in a row, the internet service was pretty bad. It worked, but I wouldn't rely on it for anything.
That's good to know, Nick. I would need it to be reliable, especially over a weekend. That's when I get the most questions and class activity.

That's good to know, Nick. I would need it to be reliable, especially over a weekend. That's when I get the most questions and class activity.

Don't take it as gospel, I haven't been there since what...2010 or 2009 or so? Its possible they've since upgraded.

Like I say, it ain't lightning, but it is reasonably reliable, and it was good enough that Troy was able to host a LiveATC feed through it several years ago. That was fun.

Like I say, it ain't lightning, but it is reasonably reliable, and it was good enough that Troy was able to host a LiveATC feed through it several years ago. That was fun.

That's true....plus, wasn't there a live episode of.....uh...I forget what it was called, but that Podcast that Kent/Mike used to run...

That's true....plus, wasn't there a live episode of.....uh...I forget what it was called, but that Podcast that Kent/Mike used to run...

Try "The PilotCast" :)

Internet always seemed pretty reliable when plugged in in the room. When we tried to jury-rig wireless out to the flight line, it became a little bit less so.

Liz, are you doing a standard online class, a MOOC, blended learning, or what?

Last edited:
Weekend?! Oh gosh, if I come it will be more like for 2 weeks. No date has been set yet. It would be starting in early August. My friend will be coming here in June and I wanted to go out to visit her (and see CA the right way) once my summer semester ends.

Meeting up with Bay area PoA friends would definitely be on the agenda too! :yes:

The April fly out was pretty much canceled, I'm not sure if there is a May one, but let me know the dates in August and perhaps you and your friend can join us (we can make a flyout for you). Last time we had 20 or more pilots for lunch on the water in Half Moon Bay!

Fly Tying Demonstrations

Come and join us at Gaston's Restaurant on the White River every 2nd Saturday to learn and watch experienced fly tyers make some amazing little bugs. Demonstrations will begin in April and end in October. Begins at 1:00 pm till 3:00 pm.

Posted: 2013-04-15 18:03:04

Back