Well.......

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
I'm really in trouble now. We just closed on a really clean 1981 Mooney 201

dydazyby.jpg

I'll hopefully get out of North Dakota tomorrow. I love the people here, it's just too cold.

You old enough to fly that thing? :)

NICE, Congrats. The 201 was very close on the Bonanza's heels for a plane to buy for me. Prolly should have shelled out the extra $ for one had I known I was moving to Georgia, I wanted the extra ponies for the Rockies... But I'm still in love with my Bonanza for now, so I'm not lusting for your girl too much, for now, but I haven't been paying attention to the fuel bills and don't intend to.

Never flown a 201, but the M20B I flew was a blast. Congrats on the purchase

yza7usep.jpg

We are going to take the 530/330 and one of the CDIs out of the 172 so it will have a 530w/430w/340/330 stack. It's gonna be NICE. It already is really nice though.

Might as well start budgeting for an Aspen or G-500 for when the AI-FD/HSI in there craps out, it'll likely be cheaper to replace. ;)

I really like having engine and fuel gages in plain view. Wish all planes had a similar panel layout.
yza7usep.jpg

We are going to take the 530/330 and one of the CDIs out of the 172 so it will have a 530w/430w/340/330 stack. It's gonna be NICE. It already is really nice though.

I really like having engine and fuel gages in plain view. Wish all planes had a similar panel layout.

Yeah, that is nice, I like having a FF giving me more accurate information though, never really liked gauges regardless of location.

Already got that on the left side. Analog gages with needles are actually better than digits for quick reference.
Yeah, that is nice, I like having a FF giving me more accurate information though, never really liked gauges regardless of location.

Which ones do you mean? The MP and tach are further right than yours (I think) or mine. Just curious.

The little ones I can't see on most airplanes because some deviate stuck them as far away from my eyes as they could be (other than in a back seat-pocket) while still attached to the same airplane. Big gages are farther away but canted inboard and easy to see.

Which ones do you mean? The MP and tach are further right than yours (I think) or mine. Just curious.

Nice. If you're ever in NM itching to give someone a ride, let me know : )

The little ones I can't see on most airplanes because some deviate stuck them as far away from my eyes as they could be (other than in a back seat-pocket) while still attached to the same airplane. Big gages are farther away but canted inboard and easy to see.

I like the angle too. I was just wondering about the comment 'cause Cessna uses the same size and they're closer. And I knew you fly a Cessna with a similar panel to mine, I think. (I don't think you have an old shotgun panel but maybe I'm wrong.)

Understand not all panels are using big stuff. And that you've flown other stuff.

Always thought it was odd that one of the largest accident causes is lack of fuel, and almost all light aircraft panels have tiny fuel gauges, waaaaay far away from the pilot.

I like the angle too.

Always thought it was odd that one of the largest accident causes is lack of fuel, and almost all light aircraft panels have tiny fuel gauges, waaaaay far away from the pilot.

Not to mention sorry as well as tiny. My bird has four tanks with interconnections but no pumps or check valves. As a result the fuel evens out over the bottom of the tanks and the gages are essentially worthless.

Already got that on the left side. Analog gages with needles are actually better than digits for quick reference.

True, and they can also help pick up on a leak prior to the FF transducer, every plane should have both systems.

Fantastic! I'm excited for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

That's awesome! Congratulations!

That's a beautiful airplane! I've always been a Mooney fan.

Nice, David!

Did you get them to throw in the float plane as the deal cincher?

:)

Congrats! Enjoy!

Your panel upgrades will make it that much nicer. Make sure the 530W and 430W get linked so they'll crossfill and share traffic from the 330.

And while an Aspen should be on the list, the AI going out won't be an excuse to buy one - the KFC200 needs the AI for input that the Aspen can't replicate, and the Aspen requires a backup AI anyway. But when your HSI goes out, an Aspen will definitely be the logical choice. The Aspen can display the flight director, though (go figure). I'm not a big FD fan, but some people love them.

Also, if the ADF still works(looks like it has one), I'd leave it in. You never know when you might end up flying to Canada where NDBs are the only ground-based NavAid you'll find in most parts.

Last edited:
I've had a real soft spot for Mooneys and Super Vikings these days.

Real nice plane, OP!

Yeah, if I were going to buy a 4-place single for the sake of having fun, it'd be a Super Viking.

I'm really in trouble now. I'll hopefully get out of North Dakota tomorrow. I love the people here, it's just too cold.

Well ya might wanna consider long pants...

Congrats on the new ride.

That is really nice David. Great airplane!

Does anyone else hate young David as much as I do right now? :D

Well done, sir!

Nope, he's got good taste in planes and a plan, likely he'll buy my plane next so he can build multi time.:D

That's very nice David! The Sac Arrow is jealous!

(Sac Mooney just sounds odd)

Does anyone else hate young David as much as I do right now? :D

Well done, sir!

I could be envious, but the fact is, it would be less for what he has, and more for his determination in what he is doing. I see great things for this one.

In any event, we are all a part of David's mentor group, and when your mentees do well, it speaks well for you, doesn't it?

David's success (and may it ever increase) is ours, as well.

I could be envious, but the fact is, it would be less for what he has, and more for his determination in what he is doing. I see great things for this one.

In any event, we are all a part of David's mentor group, and when your mentees do well, it speaks well for you, doesn't it?

David's success (and may it ever increase) is ours, as well.
No doubt. I met David at AirVenture this summer. If this flying thing doesn't work out, I think he's got a good chance in politics! The kid worked Jay's HOPPS party like he was running for office. Impressive!

Congrats! Enjoy it, build time, learn lots of stuff and have fun. I'm also incredibly jealous of your future avionics setup. :D

Back