Resume Own Nav...

Antonio DiPasquale

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingChemist
I was on an IFR flight plan today from KONT to KSQL and while on the cleared segment PIRRO V186 DARTS V459 LHS GMN AVE, I was given a very small shortcut to cut the corner by SoCal Approach before arriving at DARTS - "Direct LHS, resume own navigation". I read back "Direct LHS" as I though the "resume own navigation" was superfluous since I was not on a radar vector. The controller responded with a stern "NO! Direct LHS, resume own navigation". I read it back verbatim this time...minus the stern NO!, of course.

The PCG states: RESUME OWN NAVIGATION - a term used by ATC to advise a pilot to resume his/her own navigational responsibility. It is issued after completion of a radar vector or when radar contact is lost while the aircraft is being radar vectored.

I was not on a radar vector. I was on my own navigation at the time and was given direct to a waypoint, which would be on my own navigation and not a radar vector. Was the controller just having a bad day and decided I was the next target of his ire? What else was I going to do at LHS?

I’d interpret it as, “proceed direct LHS and then continue flying your cleared route”.

I was on an IFR flight plan today from KONT to KSQL and while on the cleared segment PIRRO V186 DARTS V459 LHS GMN AVE, I was given a very small shortcut to cut the corner by SoCal Approach before arriving at DARTS - "Direct LHS, resume own navigation". I read back "Direct LHS" as I though the "resume own navigation" was superfluous since I was not on a radar vector. The controller responded with a stern "NO! Direct LHS, resume own navigation". I read it back verbatim this time...minus the stern NO!, of course.

The PCG states: RESUME OWN NAVIGATION - a term used by ATC to advise a pilot to resume his/her own navigational responsibility. It is issued after completion of a radar vector or when radar contact is lost while the aircraft is being radar vectored.

I was not on a radar vector. I was on my own navigation at the time and was given direct to a waypoint, which would be on my own navigation and not a radar vector. Was the controller just having a bad day and decided I was the next target of his ire? What else was I going to do at LHS?
I doubt it was about him having a bad day. He probably believes he’s right, even though he is wrong, and does it all the time.

“Cleared direct LHS, rest of route unchanged”, hear all the time

“Cleared direct LHS, rest of route unchanged”, hear all the time
Doesn’t surprise me that’s still going on. But it is incorrect. There was a change to ATC rules over twenty years ago that specified ‘rest of route unchanged’ is not necessary in this situation.

Just reply "direct LHS then on own" seems to work well without causing controller ire even if the second part is not needed technically.

What is the reference in the ATC handbook that says it is superfluous?

I would say that "Direct LHS" is a new clearance, and that you no longer have a clearance past that.

"Direct LHS, resume route" or similar is needed IMO.

No one's perfect. Great example is that controllers almost always say "Climb via" when there's a published SID top altitude, even if it's one that technically is not a "climb via." I used one of those in an article and someone pointed out that "climb via" was wrong. I asked, "wanna hear the audio?" :D

Superfluous? I've heard shortcuts like that with it and without it. Not important enough for me to check which way is perfect. Just spit back what they say.

I would say that "Direct LHS" is a new clearance, and that you no longer have a clearance past that.

The superfluous part is that I was already "own nav" when I was given "Direct LHS" and continued "own nav" to LHS. I was never on a radar vector. Its sorta the "Department of Redundancy Department" scenario. The controller never gave me an additional clearance beyond LHS and the implied instruction is to continue my previously cleared route at LHS since no further instruction, like a hold for example, was given. If he had given me "resume route" or similar, I would have read that back, but he did not. Again, "resume route" is implied and you may or may not hear it depending on the controller.

No, "Cleared to LHS" is a new clearance. "Cleared direct LHS" just returns you to your route (which contains LHS).

If you original routing did not include LHS then ask for further clearance after LHS.

It's 'rest of route unchanged' not 'resume route' that is the terminology used. Like @Larry in TN said above, getting cleared direct is very different than getting cleared TO. Cleared TO is what makes a new Clearance LIMIT.

4−2−5. ROUTE OR ALTITUDE AMENDMENTS
a. Amend route of flight in a previously issued clearance by one of the following:
1. State which portion of the route is being amended and then state the amendment.
PHRASEOLOGY−
CHANGE (portion of route) TO READ (new portion of route).
2. State the amendment to the route and then state that the rest of the route is unchanged.
PHRASEOLOGY−
(Amendment to route), REST OF ROUTE UNCHANGED.
3. Issue a clearance “direct” to a point on the previously issued route.
PHRASEOLOGY−
CLEARED DIRECT (fix, waypoint).
Or
CLEARED DIRECT (destination) AIRPORT.
NOTE−
Clearances authorizing “direct” to a point on a previously issued route do not require the phrase “rest of route unchanged.”
However, it must be understood where the previously cleared route is resumed. When necessary, “rest of route unchanged”
may be used to clarify routing.

No, I said it myself. But thanks for broadening my horizon slightly. First I heard of "le femme". Transgender now?
Hahaha. My lack of French language skillz strikes again! My French professor was more interested in “He Man and the Masters of the Universe “ and Mohawk hair cuts than teaching.

The superfluous part is that I was already "own nav" when I was given "Direct LHS" and continued "own nav" to LHS. I was never on a radar vector. Its sorta the "Department of Redundancy Department" scenario. The controller never gave me an additional clearance beyond LHS and the implied instruction is to continue my previously cleared route at LHS since no further instruction, like a hold for example, was given. If he had given me "resume route" or similar, I would have read that back, but he did not. Again, "resume route" is implied and you may or may not hear it depending on the controller.
Long ago lost count of the times a new (or even current) controller has cleared direct to the waypoint already going direct to. It’s very common and changes nothing in my experience.

Back